Prayers please - Image

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI Nicole! Sorry this comes to you so late!
sad.gif
This is the first I've been able to get on in a while. I'm so sorry to hear your having troubles! And I'll ask God to send his angles to put around Image, to protect him and keep him safe!

Keep us updated Please!!!

In Gods name we pray!

Leya

Nicole that baby couldn't be in better hands. I saw FIRST HAND what care and attention you give to your horses. Asking GOD right now to help and guide you through this.

Prayers and big hugs from us in upstate NY... they got us through Freedom's impaction on New Year's Day!

Hope he continues to improve!
yes.gif

Denise

Silversong Farm

7a3df2d1.jpg

Image is feeling consiterably better this morning. I got up every hour to check him threw the night and he wasnt rolling at all to my knolage. His stomach is pretty much back to its normal size, but you can see its a little crampy every once in a while. My biggest worry is that he is dehydrated - if you do the pinch test on his neck his skin stays there, doesnt snap back. We are heading out to buy him some applesauce (Apple and strawberry flavor see what he likes) and some pop sicles like some one suggested that on the forum. (We would have them but I just ate the last one yesterday) The good news is he must have been drinking threw the night because Mollys bag looks normal not so huge now. I tried giving him grain soaked in water but he wanted his moms dry grain. I soaked the hay I gave Molly for breakfast but he didnt want it and snuck over and ate with Ernie who had dry hay and was trying to eat the little bit of grass in the paddock but was only getting dirt so I let him loose in the yard to graze with Rodeo. It just rained last night so that was a good way to get a little water in him. He wanted to stay out there and keep grazeing but I want to see how he feels in a while from it before I let him have more. Really hopeing he starts drinking soon or we will be in trouble here. We did manage to turkey baster a little water in him, he took a full one of milk and didnt spit any out but of the 5 with water I think we just rinsed his mouth. Any more ideas for getting water in him? Thankyou so much for all your prayers and thoughts once again.

Give him some grain with SALT in it. If you use a feed that has molasses, it will stick nicely.....

If he doesn't want that, use a syringe with heavily salted water. Some he'll spit out, some will stay in his mouth and soak into his membranes, again helping create thirst.

aktion033.gif
he looks to be feeling pretty good since he's loving the grass
biggrin.gif

He may actually WANT water more once he has eaten dry hay -- mine always do.

Okay, first of all, there's a BIG smile on my face seeing his picture because I knew that was good news!!!!!!!!!!

How about putting some apple juice in his water? I've heard that can tempt horses to drink, or even some Koolaid powder.

I'm doubtful he'd take to soaked beet pulp right away because my horses who haven't had soaked pulp or haycubes before take a couple of days, but it could be worth a try if the apple juice / koolaid doesn't help.

Try to see if he will eat watermelon. It was the only thing I could get Blue to touch when he was sick. It at least kept him hydrated while he recovered.

Thank goodness, it sure seems like he is doing better. Keep trying to keep him hydrated...You are doing a great job..
aktion033.gif

aktion033.gif
Oh yes do try watermelon and get them popcicles! Any fluids at this point is great. Glad he's nursing too, Molly must be feeling much relieved.
wacko.gif

He is in luck, we have watermellon! I will run out and see what he does with it right now.

Yesterday night I held a salt block for him to lick, he was happy about that, but he didnt go get a drink after.

We are about to leave and go buy him some juice and popsicles and I will see how that goes.

Hope you haven't left for the store yet!!!

Please DONT buy normal old popsicles.......they have sooo much sugar in them, that it will cause him to dehydrate more.

Get Children's Pedialyte and freeze it in ice cube trays. They even do make Pedialyte popsicles but not all stores carry them.

Also your feed store should have some brand of Electrolyte Paste, it will make him thirsty enough that he will want to drink, and it will replenish his electrolyte balance.

Glad he feels better this morning
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
All the ideas sound great, but I would personally have the vet out to IV some fluids in him if he was still that dehydrated,, the gut needs a loat of fluid in it to work properly and prevent impaction.

I'm so glad he's doing better! I agree - you may want to call your vet back out and have him/her do a fluid IV. My vet just told me that as a precaution, she automatically does fluid IV for all her colic cases.

When I've needed my horses to drink more water, I've added a little bit of molasses into the water.

Best wishes,

Liz R.

Glad to hear he is doing better! I hope you do get him to drink something. He sure is a handsome guy! Good luck!
yes.gif

I would also have the vet out and get some fluids in him.

We do use gatorade or pedialyte and syringe it into them. My vet always says to get which ever flavor you think will stain the most because that is the one they will like.
wacko.gif

Robin

So happy to hear Image is eating and doing better. Such a pretty boy! mary

Sending prayers ad huggs to you and Image, hope everything turn out ok!!!!

Latest posts

Back