Prayers please for hubby!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyB

overo
Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]I was asking if you could please give me husband, Mel some extra prayers for Monday morning(march 22) as he is having his left shoulder operated on. They will clean things up and see what else needs to be done.[/SIZE]

Some know and others don't know that Mel has had two open heart surgeries and an Aortic Aneurysm fixed. He has heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol which he takes meds for.

We went a week and half ago down to Salt Lake City to have a stress test for his heart and then an angiogram procedure. They did find that he had collatreral veins(which is good) which were taking over for the 2 blocked artries which he still has.

His whole family smokes and he has smoked almost all his life. Two of his kids are trying to stop also and with this past heart angiogram, bugging from me, his kids and doctors, he has finally decided to try to quit smoking again...because it is a fact that if the heart disease has not gone along too far it can be reversed to a certain extend...so with not smoking, eating better and walking he should be in better condition than he is now...

Now even though it is only shoulder surgery, there are always risks to every kind of surgery and he has had to stop taking his aspirin and plavix for a number of days to reduce his blood loss during his surgery, which is also a risk in itself...so I am just asking for you all to say and extra prayer for Mel for this shoulder surgery(he will have his right done a 3rd time after this one has healed-UGH) and for him also to be successful at his quit smoking program...Thank you so very much from the bottom of my heart, because I love and cherish this wonderful man who has came into my life so much....
default_wub.png

Also anyone tried the fake smokeless cigerettes? This is what he is going to try first as he has tried gum, patches and all the other stuff around. His son is having some success with these cigerettes so I can only hope and pray, but it's a start to better health for Mel and his kids!... I want him around for many, many more years to come!
default_wub.png

Thank you so very much,

Jenny

Jenny,

You know that Larry and I KNOW what Mel has had to experience AND his lifestyle........ (Larry is struggling with the smoking thing AGAIN too.)

Larry has been back and forth with the E-Cigs ........ Is that what you are speaking about? If Mel is truly looking to QUIT, he should check them out.

Have him call Larry about it....... I'm afraid I can't answer ........ Mel NEEDS to get his mind set on truly quitting.....

God bless him.
default_wub.png

Maryann

Prayers coming from across the 'pond'. Thinking of you all at this worrying time.

Hugs -- Anna

Keeping Mel in my thoughts and prayers.

Thinking of Mel today.. Lots of
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

My husband has finally tried again, has tried so many times I have stopped counting,

it has been 22 days without a cigarette.

My husband was finally serious enough to go cold turkey and he has made it so far....

He also is diabetes, high blood pressure, and has emphysema
default_no.gif

[SIZE=14pt]Go Mel you can do it... [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Thanks everyone for your well wishes and prayers for Mel. I really appreciate them...He is having a lot of pain that we haven't been able to control, so we went back to the doc today and besides the hydrocodone, nausea med they now have him on Aleve and Lyrica-this is for nerve pain, but I really worry about the side affects. Has anyone had any experiences with Lyrica?[/SIZE]

The doc took off some bone spurs, some arthritis and cut a small slice off of each shoulder bone which was rubbing bone on bone. He says that the small space in-between will develop scar tissue and make it's own little padding between the 2 bones. Then they found a tear in his bicup muscle up close where it hooks to the shoulder, cut that and re-attached it a little lower. I was sure hoping he wouldn't have this much pain, but I guess you never know.

Then when they released him yesterday late day from the hospital, they brought out this wheelchair. We were all grabbing all of his stuff and had just came out of the room when he sat down in this wheelchair that was WAY too small for him and his arm in a sling. The nurse had not even locked the brake, nor showed him how to sit down and when he sat down he jolted his shoulder really bad and came hoping back up out of it grimising in pain...They should have brought him a larger wheelchair or the nurse should have locked the brakes and said, now sit down slowly and turn to the side...I could have strangled them :arg! ..we are hoping that it didn't do more damage.

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with shoulder surgery?? They say he will be better in 4-6 weeks to start on the other side, but I really wonder about that...
default_unsure.png

Yes MA they are the electronic cigerettes and we ordered them from a company on-line called Red Dragon Products. What does Larry think of them? Mel ordered the 8 piece kit with the Marlbolo flavor and 16 mg of nicotine to start with...Has anyone else tried these??

Please continue to keep Mel in your prayers for his pain right now.

Thanks bunches,

Jenny

Speedy recovery wishes for Mel. While I've never had surgery on my shoulder, my mom had rotator cuff surgery about 10 years ago, it was supposed to be laproscopic, but there was more damage, so they had to switch to regular surgery while there were in there. The only thing mom regrets now, is not following the doctors recovery and physical therapy guidelines mroe closely; she started feeling good, so did too much too soon. She has recovered quite well, but feels she would be even better if she had followed those instructions more closely. Its been long enough that I don't remember how much pain she was in, but do remember, we made the 90 mile drive back home before the hospital administered pain meds wore off, so she could handle the ride in the car.

I'm sorry to hear that he is in such pain after the surgery. I hope that eases for him very quickly. I am glad you posted on here as thanks to you and Miniv I have just placed an order at Red Dragon. Wish me luck with my attempt to give up these expensive and god awful cigarettes. I will need all the support I can get.

Marie

[SIZE=14pt]Thanks so much for your prayers and well wishes for Mel...the first few days after surgery he was really hurting, but he is doing really well now
default_yes.gif
...and went to his first physical therapist appointment on Friday...did really well
default_aktion033.gif
...and his cigarette usage has went wayyy down because of the electronic cigarettes too
default_aktion033.gif
[/SIZE]

Once this shoulder heals well enough he will have surgery on the right shoulder then..oh boy another round
default_wacko.png

Thanks again

Blessings and Prayers to those how are also not feeling too well

HUGS,

Jenny

Latest posts

Back