Prayers needed for my big mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleonard

Reaction score
Well, I know how effective the prayers of this forum have been for others, so I'm hoping they will work for me!

I had a show scheduled for the first weekend in November, and was headed to my jumping lesson tonight. We had my TB mare, Connie, and my dad's pony, Reba, in the trailer. A few weeks ago when we trailered these to together, Connie somehow broke the butt bar of the trailer and cut herself up pretty bad, but all of the cuts were superficial and she went out and schooled cross country as planned. Well, today we felt them start struggling in the trailer again, just like before. We were less than a minute from our destination, so we hurriedly pulled into the driveway and got them unloaded. I saw that Connie had a gash, about 4" on the outside of her right hind cannon. I did not look very close to start with, I wanted to see if she was lame on it. Surprisingly, she was only mildly lame, it obviously smarted, but did not seem too bad. There was very little blood to begin with. However, once I looked at it, I realized that a large flap of flesh had been torn away and it clearly needed stitches. We called the vet, put a wrap over it to keep it clean and to stem the blood flow which had picked up slightly, and put her in a small paddock to wait. When the vet arrived and we were able to really look at it, we realized that the bone was exposed , about 2" x 1/2", and when the vet examined it, he found that there was a small crack on the cannon. I was able to feel it, so I knew what he was talking about. He went ahead and sewed her up. She had another mild cut further up that he put a stitch or two in as well. We took x-ray, so we should know the severity of the crack by tomorrow, I'm hoping that it is not as bad as it seems, but there is just something about hearing that your horse had broken their leg, regardless of the severity, that just makes you fear the worse. She was really very lucky, the cut was right next to arteries and veins, and you could see the tendon sheath exposed. It is in a pretty delicate place, and the vet said that she could look sound at a walk and trot, but a canter could possibly cause the bone to snap. She is supposed to be on stall rest for at least the next four days, but she is awful in the stall, paces and weaves, and we've decided that it will be best to put her out with her friends in a small field and just try to keep her activity to a minimum. Right now I am just afraid that she will do something silly in the stall and injure herself further.

Anyway, sorry for the long, rambling description, but please pray that she does not do herself more damage and makes a completely recovery. She is a very talented horse, and it would be a shame if this ends up being career ending. I'm in shock right now, I cannot believe that this happened! It is just starting to settle in. Thank you guys for your thoughts.
default_wub.png

Jessica

I'm so sorry to hear abouot your mare! She will be in our thoughts and prayers. If it's just a small fracture then I would think she could recover and hopefully even be sound again for you. Also I believe they should be able to cast her cannon which might improve her healing. I have a yearling colt (mini) who fractured his tibia and is on 6 months stall rest. From my experience with him and what my vet said these small fractures CAN heal with the proper rest and a little luck :)

Thank you both! I know just how well these things can heal with a little luck, in fact, both of the people who were there with us have had horses with breaks. The first was kicked in the hock, had seven chips and they didn't expect him to survive. He is now back to competing at prelim level eventing. The other was kicked in the elbow just a few weeks ago and is also on the mend. My concern with her is that she will do something to make things worse, she cannot be stalled 24/7 unfortunately, she just gets too upset. And luck has not been on our side with her this year, it has just been one thing after another. Hopefully it is nothing more than a small crack, but it was hard to tell without seeing the x-rays. Thanks again for the well wishes, and Shauna, thank you for sharing your experience, I am glad to hear that your little one is healing.

Oh no, that is awful. I sure hope your mare will be OK. I am sure it will be a long road to recovery, but sending prayers she'll be OK!
default_pray.gif

Oh Jessica, I'm so sorry to hear about Connie!! :DOH!
default_no.gif
I will keep her in my prayers for the next few days. Make sure you talk to her and explain why it's important that she stay quiet so she understands what's going on.

Leia

Leia, actually, we did have a long talk last night about how important it was to stay calm if she ever wanted to jump again (had to bribe her with something, lol), and when I went out this AM she had not paced at all, and was just standing there calmly! That is really saying something for her. Now, wether she was just too sore to get into trouble last night, I don't know, but I sure will keep up our talks!

Latest posts

Back