Prayers for Baby Abbie, Please...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_new_shocked.gif
are you sure that date is right? I bred our mare on Aug 21 and it puts her at 233 days gestation on calculations...anyway prayers are out to DEAR ABBY!
default_wub.png
oops, you're right - it was June, not August! I changed my typo!

Here's the calculater I used:

http://www.ramblinroseranch.com/foaling%20calculator.htm
Dear Abby is in my prayers she is tooooo cute
default_wub.png

We will pray for your sweet little filly!
default_pray.gif

Praying for your baby!!! I wondered how early she was, to me she looked not totally cooked. Her hair is just so short and sleek with not much mane and tail length. Hope the plasma transfers work. So far I have not had a good outcome yet on the 2 foals I had that needed it done. Praying yours has a better outcome.

Oh DEAR!! I know someone here who had a filly born at that same age, and was given really no chance to make it. The cartilage in her legs was not developed enough yet, along with all the other problems of a preemie. The filly DID make it with the great care she got and is four now and being broke to drive!! If you need the gals info and want to contact her for possible info and help, PM me- I am sure she would be glad to help with info.

Praying for little Abbie!! Keep us posted- so sorry to hear things aren't better!!

She is SO precious! I'm sending prayers for the little sweetie
default_wub.png

What a precious little filly - Baby Abby is just adorable!
default_wub.png
Lots of prayers coming your way - she looks like a little fighter!

I am saying prayers for your tiny girl. Both mine are home now and doing fine(although I keeping hplding my breath waiting for something else to happen)

A few thoughts...... plain yogurt is good for calories and has natural live cultures that are good for her bowels. I always gave an ounce or two after every syringe feeding of mares milk. Make sure you are feeding her every 2 hours 2-3 ounces mare milk. Do not microwave it if you store it. Warm a container of mares milk in a bowl of really hot tap water.Do not feed it cold out of a refrig.

Also you may want to ask Vet about starting Probiotics daily. If she is on antibiotics, frequently antibiotics kill off normal bacteria and the bad stuff takes over and gives terrible diarrhea. That is what happened to my colt.

Get yourself some Pepto and keep it on hand in case the diarrhea starts, and if it does ask the vet for some Biosponge. About the pepto, the vet has a pepto paste which is easier( not cheaper) to give and doesn't get spit out as easily.

Been through this twice this month. Sleep whenever you can. God bless you all!

Robin

Oh that sweet,sweet baby...May God give you the strength and knowledge that you will need to get her through this.
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Just to let you know I am thinking of you and you have extra prayers from here also. What a pretty little filly and she looks strong it may take a while to let her little body and lungs mature a bit more. We have had a premie but she I don't think was a mature looking as your filly. It was good days and bad days but ended with our little one getting fluid on the brain. I am pulling for this little one to have a great outcome for you. Lavonne

Made it through the night, I gave her 3 IV plasma infusions, the vet will be out in a bit to do the last one, since the catheter came out at the end of the 3rd treatment early this morning. I was able to get a lot of extra fortified milk into her while she and I were under the heater letting the plasma run in.

Our vet said that the rest of her bloodwork looked good - and that being as preemie as she was, she probably wouldn't have been able to absorb enough IgG in any case.

She's definitely a little fighter - which is probably the main reason she's still alive!

There are always a very few horses that get under your skin and deeper into your heart than others... this filly has done that to me!
default_wub.png

default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Unless an infection gets involved, I'm feeling POSITIVE about your little girl!
default_yes.gif

Abbie is adorable, sending prayers for her well-being! Good luck!

default_aktion033.gif
You guys are great! I'm going to see Abbie today after work and give her big hugs from all of you and tell her how many people are pulling for her! Thanks again.

Glad the blood work looked good, I really have high hopes that she's going to pull it through!!!
default_yes.gif
Prayers for a speedy recovery on a beautiful girl!

Hug her for me! Hug her for me!
default_biggrin.png
I did! I did!

I couldn't believe the difference in Abbie since Wednesday night. She is noticably more filled out. She is drinking lots and she has her blankie and a heater. Her mom, Nikkie, is the best. Karen said that as long as Abbie didn't pick up a bug between birth and the plasma transfusion she should be on the way up. She needs to rest a lot but I guess for preemies that's normal.

Abbie is such a sweet little girl...I want to see her grow up!

Latest posts

Back