Prayers and Good Thoughts are Needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah's Little Blessings

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Please pray for our little colt, he is by Thunder, and out of my mare Queenie. Today when I went to do the rounds at 7:30ish PM he was fine, bucking, kicking, having himself a blast! Then I went back outside, and something told me to go check on him and his mom(THANK GOD I TRUSTED MY GUT) he was coughing, snot coming out, trying to "throw up"(although horses can't do that I'm told) Having terrible sounds,like gargeling
default_new_shocked.gif
coming from his throat. (This was around 8:05pm) SO I RAN inside, called the vet and speeded down the road to take him there.

He and his mom were so good! He has been through tubing, shots,ect. Basically what happened was he drank some milk from the mom and it went down the wrong way in his lungs, as well as some grass. Our vet was lucky to get most all the grass up, and some of the fluid. Bad thing is there is still ALOT in there, and although he has quit choking we are worried bad about PNEMONIA!(SP?) Plus he could go to choking again! We are under strict orders to check on him every 1-2hrs, give a dose of antibiotics 2 times a day, banamine 1 time a day, and watch the stool. Also have to make sure to get some foal electorlites down him. Oh and check his temperature.

Our vet said if he makes it through 3 days without getting worse he should make it, but its very risky and doesn't look good. He said he has never had a foal to do this, not at around 3 weeks old... which makes it even worse!
default_sad.png

Please just keep us in your prayers!

Thanks in advance-God Bless
default_wub.png

I will keep everyone updated.

OMG thats just awful - I really hope he pulls through for you
default_sad.png
. Keeping everything crossed for a full recovery

Keeping him, you and his mamma in our prayers!!! We know what it's like to worry about a foal. It's almost amazing how fast you get SO attached to them. Our thoughts are with you and hoping he is doing great soon!!!

Oh Sarah! Sometimes it seems like it never ends!
default_no.gif
So sorry your little boy had this happen. I'll be praying for him for sure. Please keep us posted.

Praying for your little guy. My filly last year got pneumonia at about 3 days - it was an extremely rough 2 weeks. She pulled through and will be a year old shortly. I sure hope your baby comes through this ok.

Barbie

Best Wishes for your little one...Sounds like someone was watching over him for you to get that feeling..... Take care....

Sarah,

It is called choke and is scarry as heck, but not uncommon in Mini babies. Some just a few days old will do it. It seems they aspirate their dams poop while eating it (all foals eat moms poop for the right bacteria in their guts), or it gets stuck in the esophagus.

They then have copious amounts of greenish fluid coming out of their nose. They can not breath well, nor will they nurse as they can not breath. If some aspirates to their lungs, they can get pneumonia, thus they have to get antibiotics to prevent that. Is does clear up fast and the next day, the foal will act like nothing happened. Sometimes it only happens once, other times the foal will do it again.

I have taken a 35 or 60 cc and gotten fluid down their throats to help clear out the blockage (their moms poop is in there blocking their breathing), a couple of hours later, the foal is fine.

Hopefully everything is fine today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear of the scary event.

Touch wood, have not had that problem but thank you Riverdance for the explanation.

Wishing you good luck with the little one and you are in our thoughts.

Thoughts and prayers headed your way.. We had to deal with choke in one of our broodmares two years ago and boy is it scary! It was horrible with my aged broodie, can't imagine what you're going through with a baby
default_sad.png

I had a 2-3 week old colt do this last year, so I know how scary it is! He choked on a dry manure ball, and was actually "put under" to have it removed from his esphogus via endoscopy. He did choke again 2 weeks later on some weed, but was able to dislodge it that time on his own. My vet recommended putting him and his dam out on pasture, with no dry lot or stall time, it worked he had no more episodes! His diagnosis was that he tried to eat swallow things he shouldn't have been trying to eat.

The antibiotics worked well for him and he never developed pnuemonia. Best wishes for your little one! I hope he makes a complete recovery.

I have a yearling filly here nicknamed 'Death Wish', who has tried to kill herself numerous times, but the worst was choking at a week of age. I was gone to a show when it happened and her caretakers might not have realized what was happening promptly. She finally was taken to a local vet hospital and treated for the choke and aspiration pneumonia. She continued to choke off and on with some requiring vet intervention but as time went on, the episodes decreased. Interestingly enough, she quit choking when I weaned her. She now is fine in that respect and if she'd just quit trying to kill herself in other manners, she's an awesome filly!

Good luck with yours and since you caught it quickly, I bet he will be fine.

Sending prayers for your little one! Sounds just like when my colt choked on a ball of his dam's poop a couple of years ago...I was so scared, and just sure he was going to die!! Thank God, he was OK in time!

Hey everyone! Well he made it through the night. We are going to go give his round of antibiotics this morning. I thank all of you for your prayers. They mean so much. So far he isn't choking this morning but he isn't feeling really well either. Just going to have to take it step by step. I for sure will keep everyone updated. Its going to be a scary, and long road for the next week or so, I am just praying to get over that 3 day stage, vet said to give antibiotics for 5 days, but if we can get him over the 3 days he should be fine
default_unsure.png

Glad to hear he's doing a bit better. Will keep him in my prayers!
default_pray.gif
:pray

You have my prayers for a swift recovery for your foal.

I am sorry you are going through this.

Thank you for sharing your experience . I have learned alot from reading the thread.

Latest posts

Back