Praise the Lord for RAIN!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Songcatcher

Reaction score
Valliant, OK 74764 near Texas and Arkansas
As most of you know, most of Texas and Oklahoma (and other areas as well, I'm sure) have been experiencing one of the worst droughts many people can remember. I have lost track of how many days we have had here in southeast Oklahoma that have been over 100 degrees, and our temps have regularly been 106-112, and sometimes even higher. My pasture has burned completely up, except for the small areas I could run a sprinkler on. I have had to feed the "extra" hay I bought last winter, and have been concerned about getting hay for this winter. God blessed me with a friend and neighbor who sold me 15 rolls of good bermuda hay, even before he got his own supply in for his cattle. AND, he sold it to me for the same price as previous years, even though many are charging double or triple that price. I have watched the radar, and seen rain to our north and to our east, but it has always fizzled out before it got here. Yesterday was our turn! Praise the Lord! we got about an inch of rain and our high temp yesterday was in the 90s. AND, the weatherman says we have a chance for more this evening!

Today the temp is back up above 100, but I can already see a tinge of green where yesterday it was brown and crunchy. Hopefully the grass will come back and our friends and neighbors will get another cutting of hay. At least now it looks like there may be hope.

I know some areas have had the opposite problem with too much rain. I know some people did not get the rain yesterday and are still suffering. My prayers are with you.

I know Freeland! Mary called last night jumping for joy in my ear over the tiny bit of rain that came to her place. Her family farm is also burned up and gone but they are holding out hope for more rain fast. I hope this breaks the dry cycle.

I've been though this in Tennessee before and I would not wish it on anyone.

Here's hoping for a very wet weekend to all my Texas and Oklahoma friends out there.

No rain for us yet. A friend showed me a photo on her phone yesterday of an elk cow mired in the mud of their fast-disapearing pond. IT was mired to the chest. When they saw it, they feared she was already dead, but she sort of raised her head a little when they approached. He hurried home for his tractor and a rope. They had to put the rope around her neck, as that was all sticking up out of the mud. When they pulled her out, she lay for awhile. They worked to get her to stand up, and she finally was able to get up, steady herself, and run away.

The guy dug a trench out from the remaining water in the pond so animals could get to water without approaching through the mud.

I have feared that my little hroses might get down on our pond and get stuck, but the edges of it seem firm. I don't think they are drinking out of it anyway; the fish are all dead.

Fantastic news. Praise the Lord. we also got some rain, but 40 miles to the north missed it. Rain is forcast again for this evening so maybe they will get part of that. I live on the edge of town right now, it's hard, but not like the farmers and ranchers having acres and acres of dry, crunchy, and cracked land.

Very happy for you Freeland. I know that must be a huge feeling of relief. The other night it started to sprinkle and I got choked up. But it was all for naught as that sprinkle is all we got.

Keep your fingers crossed that SW Oklahoma will be next. We actually have a slight chance for tonight.
default_pray.gif

I'M HOPING WE GET SOME OF THE RAIN TOO. AT MY HOUSE WE HAVE NOT HAD ANY RAIN SINCE EARLY MAY. I CAN'T REMEMBER WHEN IT HAS BEEN SO DRY, PRAY FOR EL NINO WE NEED HIM.

Pretty much South Central Texas here. Last night I got almost 1/4 inch of rain.
default_aktion033.gif
5 miles down the road my friend got about 20 big fat drops... You could see the drop marks on her dirt yard. Oh yeah and two more drops on her mailbox... We NEED MORE!
default_pray.gif
The deer and other animals are leaving their babies behind, the racoons are literally chasing the horses from their feed and water. There is one baby racoon that shows up no matter what time I feed... he checks to see which horses will share with him... I feel so bad they are starving. The horses are having a hard time with this heat and even though they have clean unlimited water and also salt blocks they are still getting dehydrated. Water wells going dry all over the place. Only bred two mares this year...after all this I would not be surprised to have no foals on the ground next year... but if it doesnt get better soon then maybe that is best anyway.

default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif
:pray Please God, send rain to those in need of it and let those areas with too much dry up a bit. We would all so appreciate it.
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

None here either. I could see rain just to the northwest of us, someone got showers but not a drop here yet.

Jan

I see lightning to the northwest of me right now. Hope it holds together till it gets here!

Glad you got some rain & praying everyone else does soon.. I am in TN its been bad but no were near as bad as some have it... In My thoughts & praying you all get rain

default_aktion033.gif
So glad to see the folks north of me are getting rain, at least! I saw the radar yesterday and it really looked awesome for some! NO RAIN HERE YET! Pond is dried up ... I have been here on this property since 1996 and had that pond dug and stocked it with fish and this is a first
default_no.gif
dry as a bone!

Not the slightest bit surprised "Make A Wish" that you didnt get any. The showers were obviously just small showers in small spots but I was happy to get what we got. I would love more rain here for sure but will be perfectly happy if it would just rain in the hay fields that we are all trying to get hay from, that is if its not too late already. Also the wildlife is getting to be a major problem. Three baby deer wandering the property today with no parent in site... will have to check tomorrow to see if they need a ride to the wildlife rescue, or to be put down if not able to be caught. I cannot sit here and watch them starve! Speaking of hay though... anyone in our area of Texas have any interest in grouping together to order a large amount of hay to be trucked in? I will be looking for coastal or alfalfa or both. Round bales or squares.

Our second rain did not materialize here last night, but I thank the Lord for what we did get. Looking at the radar this morning, it looks like maybe southwest Oklahoma got some last night. I sure hope so. North Central Texas is sure getting a good one this morning.

Latest posts

Back