Potomac Horse Fever death

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoddalottaFarm

Reaction score
Hey all.... my little Samson is gone. My first ever Mini, and only 2 years with me. I still can't believe it.
default_no.gif
He got sick on the 8th.... fast forward through 4 emergency farm visits, 2 office visits, about 5 IV's, 4 or so shots and a couple different kinds of antibiotics and we couldn't save him. He's gone. He was "unofficially" diagnosed with Potomac Horse Fever yesterday, and tonight he took a turn for the worse so we had the vet out again, and had Sammy put down. Our vet had never diagnosed a case of PHF, and the St. Louis area vets (closest major city to us) had seen very few in the last so many years. This year, there are a growing number of deaths from the disease due to the unusually wet weather and the floods. I was told it is carried in May-Flies and Snails, so its hard telling how Sammy got it. It is *NOT* contagious. The horse actually has to ingest the disease carring organism in order to get it. Everything hit Sammy so hard anyway, and this was no different.

Signs to watch in your horses include: loss of appetitite, depression, the poos, being lethargic and fever. (Sammy's went from 104 to 94 and fluctuated everyday.) He finally gave in and let the disease take him over. He fought real hard. And yes, he *always* had his shots. Please watch for the signs and let your vet know right away if you see any! Even if your vet doesn't see PHF regularly, it can hit your area!!!! Thanks for reading.

Rest in Peace now little Sammy. Your pain and suffering are over forever. I love you little guy!!!
default_bye-sad.gif

I am so, so sorry for your loss...it sounds like you did everything you could...
default_no.gif

Liz R.

default_no.gif
default_no.gif
Art and I are very sad for your loss...It is ALWAYS heart breaking to one of your family members...

Oh gosh, I know how much this hurts! I am so sorry for your loss. You did do everything you could for him, and yes he will be watching over you now, for years to come!

Beth

Hi Diane,

I just saw your email. I'm so, so sorry about Sammy. You sure did everything you could for him. Bye little Sammy
default_bye-sad.gif

I'm so deeply sorry you lost Sammy after such a hard fight.
default_crybaby.gif

He will live in your heart forever. I'm just so sorry! {{{{Hugs}}}}

Diane

I too, am so sorry for the loss of Sammy. I know it hurts, you both fought so hard.

We have lost horses as well, and it hurts, its so hard. We lost Cashmere last year

to a stroke, and this year we lost our Whisper to bad hay. Hang onto the memories

they will help you get through the touch times.

Prayers and Hugs

Vicky

There are no words at a time like this that I can say to make your pain less, but please know that you have my deepest sympathies.

Latest posts

Back