potbelly-how to get rid of????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I Feed "total equine Feed" ! Heres whats in it http://www.totalequi...tal_Equine.html

I worm her on the same schedule as my big horse. I'm not a fan of daily wormer but I've been hearing about a "power pack"? What is it/how do you do it?

She grew from 27" to about 31" in the past 8 months. She's now 18, almost 19 months. She was only 90 pounds when I got her and I estimate her at at least 200 now.
The "power pack" is a 5-day course of double dosing Panacur or Safe Guard (Fenbendazole); its to get rid of encysted strongyles.

Taking a quick look at the Total Equine, for a mini you'd only feed a pound or less. Perhaps its not quite the right feed for her, not all feeds work for everyone, maybe try a growth formula. Many like the Purina Junior or omolene 300, others have good luck with Nutrena Safe Choice (not a growth formula per se, but can be fed to all ages). for what I can get, my preference is Progressive Nutrition products or Triple Crown Growth (I'm using the TC on my weanlings).

I've always had my minis on timothy hay and recently I noticed one of my minis had a pot belly... I started giving her a mix of timothy and alfalfa to increase the protein level and I definitely see the difference! I've never been a fan of alfalfa with minis, but it sure made a difference in her case!

Liz N.

There are so many myths about feeding alfalfa. I, and most of the southwest U.S. have fed straight alfalfa for years (40 now for me) and have never had a problem, nor have I had a problem with pot bellies. The only ones that look like they have pot bellies are the pregnant ones, LOL Alfalfa is not something I would free feed though- you dont need to. My horses all carry good weight over their backs as well, without feeding a ton of other supplements.

Grass hay just doesnt cut it, especially with Minis, and even more especially with a growing one.

You are doing a great job but I would up the alfalfa.

This has been a really good thread for me to learn from, my new little rescue mare also has a pot belly and she is apparently not pregnant, just rollie pollie. She does not have a cresty neck or a squishy fatty rump and I can feel ribs under there so she was probably just fed a diet that wasn't given too much thought before she came to me. I had been giving her just hay for the first few weeks as another mini owner suggested but the vet had me cut down the hay to a pound and add in a half pound of grain (I bought the Purina mini/pony). I may add some alfalfa pellets too to increase the protein because the grass hay I have is good quality and my large horse does well with it but from this new info it sounds as if may not be the best for my little one.

It's entirely confusing to me. From reading various threads some say feed alfalfa only, then half and half grass hay, feed or no feed... Sorry but as a newbie to minis I'm just confused. I did feed her enough total equine for her weight, allowed no grass since June (muzzle, so also no leafs) and alfalfa only, it's free feed as I fill the nibble net completely at night and it lasts her until the next night. She's also the type that will eat EVERYTHiNG she will get her mouth on, even agave (Texas). So the muzzle is also for safety because she would chop anything and everything otherwise. Now if I give her additional feed - changing to a mini feed from the total equine would I then not ADD to the weight she already has? I'm worried that I then would not only be dealing with a big belly but also with an obese horse. I don't intend to starve her and I'm sure she eats more alfalfa then her weight percentage already. I just don't know what to do, apparently the alfalfa only didn't reduce the belly much, it did put some "dents" in it, she doesn't look like a very pregnant mare ready to pop anymore but it's still way too big on her.

It's entirely confusing to me. From reading various threads some say feed alfalfa only, then half and half grass hay, feed or no feed... Sorry but as a newbie to minis I'm just confused.
It can be confusing to those who aren't newbies as well. Ask 100 horsemen, and you are likely to get 100 different answers as to what is the best feed program; everyone does what works for them. Heck in my own barn, I have 3 different feed programs, or maybe its 4; I have most of the mares on one feed program, most of the boys on another, the babies on another and two special needs horses on their own programs. One size does not fit all, despite what some feed companies may claim.

If you don't like how your horse is looking on your current feed program, all parts may have to be changed (or just one), but make one change at a time and give it at least a couple weeks to see changes before deeming it not working (unless you see negative changes, then you'll want to stop what ever change you made as it obviously wasn't a good choice).

Thank you and i know about the various opinions on feeding, dog owners and parents are the same ;)

As I said I have been able to put "dents" I'm her belly. Of course it's now harder to tell with the fuzziness of the wintercoat. Is it "bad" if I take her completely off feed and just feed alfalfa? Would she additionally need supplements and if so what is recommended for a 19 months old? How much exercise is ok for this age? I think that would also help.

Thank you and i know about the various opinions on feeding, dog owners and parents are the same ;)

As I said I have been able to put "dents" I'm her belly. Of course it's now harder to tell with the fuzziness of the wintercoat. Is it "bad" if I take her completely off feed and just feed alfalfa? Would she additionally need supplements and if so what is recommended for a 19 months old? How much exercise is ok for this age? I think that would also help.
You would probably be fine taking her off all grain and just feeding hay, but I would find an appropriate suppement to balance the hay to be sure she is getting balanced vit/min. If you go with alfalfa hay, then here are a few suggestions for vit/min supplements to balance the hay (all links will be to products on SmartPak's website, just cause they are easy to look-up for me, most supplements will be available elsewhere):

Select 1 - http://www.smartpakequine.com/select-i-76p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

SmartVite Maintenance Alfalfa: http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartvite-maintenance-alfalfa-pellets-7889p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

Mega-Mag: http://www.smartpakequine.com/megamag-1815p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

I haven't used them, so you'd need to do your own research into what is best for you.

Cupcake, I would never free feed that much alfalfa. They could become obese and nutritionally there is no need to feed that much.

default_sad.png
so do i Mix the alfalfa 50/50 with coastal or would that then cause a grass-hay belly? What supplements are recommended for a 1.5 year old filly? Does she really need them or would she be ok on just hay?

Cupcake... I would talk to your vet.

Hay varies nutritionally in every area... Here in so california our grass hay tests fairly high in nutrition. In that case, we can feed less than 50% alfalfa to meet protein goals.

We can't properly suggest without knowing the quality of hay... Even alfalfa can vary wildly in protein depending on quality...

Supplementation would then happen if your hays don't test adequately for something.

I get both coastal and alfalfa from California. Both high quality 3 strung bales for $23 each

*string

I will ask my hay supplier for the numbers tomorrow

Oh and the vets here are not familiar with minis, neither are the farriers. Seems like everyone that has minis here does their feet themselves. Which brings up another question for me bit I will post that in a separate thread, have to take pictures first.

Minis are still horses, and for the most part a good farrier and a good vet should be able and willing to work on minis. Just a few cautions with minis, don't use Quest (moxidectin) dewormer and be very careful using bute (dosage is very important).

I know, that was one of the first things instilled in me as a new mini owner, had to educate my vet though as he would have given bute after her accident if I hadnt stopped him. IMO my farrier is not taking enough heel off which doesn't make her hoof like like a hoof should. But he's worried he's taking too much off.

Latest posts

Back