Pot Holders

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari

Reaction score
Question for you all....

I would like to make Pot Holders. But I want them to be able to handle High heat. What kind of fabric and/or shielding for the inside would I need? And where to find it?

I cut up one of my thick terry cloth towels. Used it for the batting. Works great EXCEPT it's really thick and I wanted to do some hand quilting. My stitches were quite large as it was so difficult to quilt thru. But it works as a pot holder.

I sandwiched batting between heavier weight poplin scraps for the inside and could still machine quilt.

You can use heat resistant fabric for the backing. It is silver in color; you have probably seen it on potholders before. You can do a search for "heat resistant fabric" it to find out where to buy it.

You can use heat resistant fabric for the backing. It is silver in color; you have probably seen it on potholders before. You can do a search for "heat resistant fabric" it to find out where to buy it.
If you like a thin pot holder just one layer will work for most uses. Double it for handling things like iron skillets. Fabric stores may carry it. I got mine through a catalog. It is white, rather like cotton quilt batting, with silvery threads in it.

I use two layers of cotton batting, but they do make a heat-resistant batting for such things. The Warm Company has Insul-bright, Fabric Depot sells it. It's under the batting heading.

Will be using it for super hot pans. Thank you for all the ideas and names for the heat resistant stuff... will check all of it out!

If the pans are super hot, perhaps two layer of the Insul-Brite product.

I'm getting scraps of fabric with bicycling images tomorrow and planning to make pot holders. My son is a team cycler, and also does a little cooking so I think he will enjoy some pot holders. Haven't decided whether to double the insulation or not--I don't think he uses cast iron or takes cookie sheets from the oven. Mostly the handle of a non-stick skillet or a hot dish from the microwave. Single thickness may work best for him.

I got the bicycle scraps today and they are so fun! I will look for a pot holder pattern, or I might just make it with two solid pieces. I hate to mess up the neat graphics by piecing.

I just looked through my potholders for the best size and used that measurement to make a square. Two layers of oven-proof batting and just a crisscross seam across the back. I made two for my son, and one for the quilter who gave me the scraps, and one of Shy Little Kitten for dil.

pot holders.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the materials you used. They all look fantastic!

I got the bicycle scraps today and they are so fun! I will look for a pot holder pattern, or I might just make it with two solid pieces. I hate to mess up the neat graphics by piecing.

I just looked through my potholders for the best size and used that measurement to make a square. Two layers of oven-proof batting and just a crisscross seam across the back. I made two for my son, and one for the quilter who gave me the scraps, and one of Shy Little Kitten for dil.
Wonderfully done!

Now I have to get off my backside and do mine! LOL

Latest posts

Back