Post delivery pain in broodmare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueprintminis

Reaction score
Had the 7th and final mare deliver her foal last night. It was a "by the book" delivery. Quick, foal in right position, foal is small. But, this mare (it is her 2nd foal) was so very uncomfortable following the delivery that she was a nervous wreck and nearly rolled on the baby and knocked him down a couple times as she was moving about the stall. I gave her a 3.5 cc dose of banamine which did calm her down. She was fine this morning and showed no other signs of discomfort.

I hadn't had to give the 6 other mares any banamine after their deliveries.

I have a couple questions. 1. Why would this mare be so uncomfortable? The birth seemed quick and correct. 2. Do you give every mare a shot of banamine after she foals just to make her more comfortable? Would there be anything wrong with doing that? 3. This is a 31" mare who probably weighs 250 pounds. I dosed her at 350 pounds because she seemed to be in so much distress. Was that a dangerous thing to do? 4. Can the banamine be passed to the foal in the mare's milk? If so, can it harm the foal?

Both mare and foal seem fine today.

I ALWAYS give my mares Banamine immediately after foaling. Usually before they even get up. I don't want them in pain; I want them up and taking care of their new baby! Some mares have a lower pain tolerance than others and it sounds like your mare is one of those. I generally give 1cc per hundred pounds body weight, but I doubt that you did any harm giving a bigger dose. No harm to the foal by giving the mare Banamine.

Sounds like they are doing fine today and that's great to hear! Congratulations on your new foal!

Like Becky, I also give all of my mares a shot of banamine after foaling.

I give 3 CC's regardless of how big the mare is, I figure a 300 pound dose is pretty good for mares of 30 to 34 inches in height.

Now where are the pictures of the new little one???
yes.gif

We always give Banamine to our mares right after foaling. I would hate to be

the mare and push these foals out. I have never had a baby, but I would think

it is very painful. So I would rather give a little banamine to the mare, make

sure she is not in pain. And have her tend to her foal. So we to give the

Banamine.

Vicky

I ditto Becky's post completely.

Even with a perfect birth....you just never know a mare's pain tolerance. So we give the banamine automatically. It doesn't hurt anything....just that one dose.

Occasionally -- very occasionally we have had to give a second dose a few hours later. But those have been situations involving a difficult birth.

MA

CharmedMinis said:
Like Becky, I also give all of my mares a shot of banamine after foaling.
I give 3 CC's regardless of how big the mare is, I figure a 300 pound dose is pretty good for mares of 30 to 34 inches in height.

Now where are the pictures of the new little one??? 
yes.gif

425659[/snapback]

Here he is! I think he's a real cutie! Still trying to think of the perfect name. He is the very last foal by Blueprints Chief Tommy Hawk who is now a gelding. I'm trying to come up with something like "Grande Finale" or "Last Edition" but those are too corny. He's a little weak in the hind end, but I'm confident he'll come out of that as he gets stronger.

f33e26b1.jpg

f33e26b3.jpg

f33e26b5.jpg

f33e26b6.jpg

Hope the photos work. I'm not very good at this.

Oh! He's pretty! Weak in the hind end? Naww....He's going to be perfect!

Congratulations!

MA

OK- 1) Yes, I have a mare that turns having a baby into an Olympic sport- guess she's going to be worse now we've got the Games
laugh.gif
First she bangs it out at 100mph, then she goes into the Fossberry Flop and stays there, upside down, until she gets , not a medal but a dose of Banamine!! I was so tired by the time she foaled this year that I forgot to dose her and she had a really bad night, consequently so did I!! Because I had left her so long I had to give her three doses- remember the blood is all in the womb so not circulating properly so the first dose should be slightly higher than you would normally give.

2) You have to give the foal a chance, those legs will come fine once he's out and running

3) How about "Hawks Final Curtain"???

Last edited by a moderator:
Your colt is beautiful. I'm with the banamine group. I got tired of seeing some of the mares go up and down and up and down to the point where the baby couldn't nurse if it wanted to so now, I have the banamine right in my foaling kit and I give them some to make them more comfortable. I just think it's a good thing to do and never heard a negative about it.

I'm in the banamine group. I give 3-4 ml to them even if they seem fine. Having a baby is uncomfortable for some and down right painful for others. Thera acted like she had died. Keesha just pops em out and say,"oh, look another one." Both get the banamine.

BTW I love the baby & I love Jane's name idea!

Yes

Many of the older mares' will lose elasticity in the uterus. After the baby exits, it does not snap back down to size quick enough. Sometimes this will cause one of the uterine horns to "invert" or partially prolapse into the uterus. You would not be able to tell by looking but the mare will be intensely uncomfortable.

If the full dose (1 mL per 100 pounds) of IV banamine fails to work, I have given rompum for the pain. AND called the vet, as these gals need a procedure sometimes to correct the inversion. It can involve manually pushing the horn back out with a gloved hand, or infusing saline into the uterus to pop it into position by filling the uterus with fluid.

I give banamine if the mare appears uncomfortable for longer than 30 minutes. If she is still thrashing such that the foal cannot nurse for more than 2 hours, I call the vet and give the rompum. At this point the foal NEEDS to start nursing.

Lauralee, what would happen if this happened to a mare and a person didn't know it? Would it return to normal alone, would she be in so much pain that we'd know and call a vet? Would she just act normal and have a screwed up inside? Could she get pregnant again? Does this happen very often? Oh, no, one more thing to worry about!

It CAN correct itself sometimes...but if the mare is still thrashing you have to get a vet involved. Just depends on how much time you are willing to watch the mare thrash about! Each mare being different, there is no way to know the extent of the problem without a vet.

Yes, the mare can become pregnant again. Once corrected it should not affect her ability to conceive.

I think it happens more often than you'd realize, but many times the situation resolves itself. It's the ones that cannot stop thrashing long enough to let junior nurse that need attention.

Oh yes, and....when it has happened here it was always the older, experienced teenage mare...and the delivery was super fast. My vet said that if the delivery goes at a slower pace, the uterus can slowly contract down as the foal leaves the mare. But the mares that laid down and literally shot the foal out of them, were the ones that end up with this type of problem because the uterus cannot contract down that fast.

Being a novice, but having kept abreast via this forum and reading Blessed are the Broodmares, etc. regarding administration of Banamine. When our mare foaled (he was out in just a couple minutes with one or two pushes) I saw how uncomfortable our mare from contractions to expell the placenta.

Dazzle was in such pain that she couldn't care for her colt (nuzzle, try to lick him dry, etc.) that I gave her Banamine and tended to the foal. I was so glad to be there for the delivery, as the baby didn't nurse until almost three hours. Mama didn't want to get up for much of that time.

Guess the way I figure it is...... REMEMBER WHEN WE HAD OUR BABIES? The contractions don't stop after the baby is out of the birth canal....mine continued for a few hours afterward.

Just a humble experience.

Last year I started the Banamine as well...use the paste and the IM, but usually use the paste and I give it as soon as possible after foaling.

Seems like they bounce back much quicker and I know I would sure want something if I were in their hooves...
wink.gif

BTW, Laura, your colt is just Gorgeous!!!!
wub.gif
yes.gif

First she bangs it out at 100mph, then she goes into the Fossberry Flop and stays there, upside down, until she gets , not a medal but a dose of Banamine!!
Yup, thats my Crackers...every time. This year she even passed the placenta with the foal, and it was two weeks early, that's even worse. My vet says that it is better if they foal, and pass the placenta an hour afterwards, as it gives the body a bit more time to adjust. I have never had one wait that loing.

My Mother; who went through having a premie, with a quick birthing, tells me it was by far the hardest and most painful birthing and after-birth experience she ever went through...and there were four others. She said that she sure wishes I had been there with my banamine for HER!
biggrin.gif

Sue_C. said:
First she bangs it out at 100mph, then she goes into the Fossberry Flop and stays there, upside down, until she gets , not a medal but a dose of Banamine!!
Yup, thats my Crackers...every time. This year she even passed the placenta with the foal, and it was two weeks early, that's even worse. My vet says that it is better if they foal, and pass the placenta an hour afterwards, as it gives the body a bit more time to adjust. I have never had one wait that loing.

My Mother; who went through having a premie, with a quick birthing, tells me it was by far the hardest and most painful birthing and after-birth experience she ever went through...and there were four others. She said that she sure wishes I had been there with my banamine for HER!
biggrin.gif

425826[/snapback]

Sue, what a fascinating story that your mother shared with you....and to have the sense of humor of wondering where you were with HER banamine! LOL! It's nice that you can relate to your mares like the experiences we have with childbirth.
yes.gif

My mother died the day before 9/11 and she was an old farm girl. Ohh, how I wished she were here to share my mini experiences with her. What makes me happy is that I know she's looking down and enjoying the whole thing!

Have a great weekend!

Cindy

Ohh, how I wished she were here to share my mini experiences with her. What makes me happy is that I know she's looking down and enjoying the whole thing!
Sorry to hear about your loss; and yes, I grab every second I can to be with my Parents, and love to listen to any story they wish to share.
yes.gif

Poor Crackers, there she was on her back, moaning, in pain, and the filly was actually nursing from her, even then. Smart foal though!!

Latest posts

Back