Possibly adopting a collie, may need help with "issues"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic

Reaction score
I ran across a picture online of a six year old male collie who is at our local animal shelter, and felt I had to go see him. He had recently been to an adoption fair and had several families who were interested in him so I had to wait to see if any would take him, but the shelter just called and said that the others had passed on him and I'm next in line. Now, when I was at the shelter they explained to me his "issues"-- he was rescued, along with his sister, and they were both badly neglected. The sister had multiple sores under all her hair, and they aren't sure if Toby does too, so they recommend that he be fully shaved to check. His teeth are bad and so he'll need a full dental workup, and he isn't neutered so will have to have that done as well. Lots of expense for this guy. They also said that he "marks" with urine, and his urine stains, and since he had only been outside at his previous home he will need to be housebroken. He's SUPER sweet-- when I went to see him, a volunteer was just taking him outside so I went with them and when we got out to the run and Toby was unleased, he gently jumped up and put his front feet on my shoulders and licked my face. He's mellow and loving.

But I have questions: I was told that collies aren't necessarily good with very young children, and I have four grandchildren, seven years and younger, with another on the way. Anyone know anything about collies? I also don't really have the extra money these days to take on a "project" like this dog (the shelter employees were telling me it could run $1200 to get Toby "up to speed".). But I can't bear to see him put down either. Do vets ever give discounted procedures for shelter dogs? Any help and advice would be very welcome! Thanks!

edited to clarify that this is a "Lassie" type collie, rough coated.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Around here, the cost of adoption INCLUDES spay/neuter; dog doesn't leave the shelter until that is done. They don't do the surgery until someone is 'signed up' to adopt the dog, but do it then, using an 'in-house' vet. Even in a smaller community, surely they'd at least have one or more vets they use that give reduced rates, to them OR to adopters??

Our neighbors and close friends had a 'standard' collie(like Lassie) when I was a girl. It was a male, probably NOT neutered, way back then, but I recall him being VERY friendly, and good w/ us kids, but pretty hyper and did a LOT of whiney 'talking', to the point of being unnerving. They were very nice people. but not really 'dog-knowledgeable' as so many more are these days, so the dog really had no 'training' to speak of.

Good luck to you and to him, however this plays out!

Margo

Thanks Margo. I'm not sure if they do the neutering there or not; they told me that the adoption fee would be $100, plus neutering is $45 to $65, so apparently they bill those separately. Interesting. I'm curious as to just how bad his dental problems are, and how much that is likely to cost. Also grooming, I guess I'll have to take him to a groomer to get bathed and fully clipped. His nails look ok, and he didn't have any problem with me lifting up his foot to look at them, but the shelter employee told me that he wasn't letting her get a good look at his hind end so he's not fully handle-able. He did let me rub his belly when I saw him. I guess I need to do more research online about collies, and call my vet first thing in the morning to get an idea of what the dental stuff would cost, and what may need to be done.

Any other experiences with collies, or shelter dogs with similar issues, I'd love to hear it! Thanks!

Collies are my absolute favorite breed of dog! They are the smartest, sweetest, most loyal dogs you could ask for. My grandparents bought their first in 1989 for my uncle who was mentally and physically handicapped. She got us hooked. She was amazing and learned to herd, was often my "pillow" growing up, and she could sense when my uncle was going to have a convulsion and would whine to let us know. The next collie we got is my "doggie soul-mate". She still sleeps with me (and steals the covers). Often takes in stray kittens as her own and she helps me bring in the mares from their pasture. My mother adopted a 2 yr old male collie 3 yrs ago for my younger siblings. He had run away from home and lived on his own for 2 months. Despite being extremely emaciated, he never had food aggression. Was amazing with my sister who was just 3. He was a big boy and she was always jumping on his back trying to ride him and i'm sure pulled his hair doing it.

So those are the 3 we've had experience with-best dogs for little kids you could ask for (have never heard otherwise).

Problems with collies-hips! Have them xray his hips and tell you what they're like. Collies are considered geriatric at 7.5 yrs and my current collie is 10 and we are considering putting her down due to her terrible hips. Hate seeing her pain. Our first collie we put down at 9 yrs for the same thing (could no longer get up). They shed completely twice a year so be prepared to brush, brush, brush if you get him.

I love collies. They are awesome. I say if this dog moves you and it feels right, go for it. I adoped my Gabrielle when all three of my children were very young. I for one never did xrays, didn't have a vet work up, I just adopted her on sight. Not a breeding dog, just a pet, to me, it just didn't matter. She used to be very sensitive about brushing her skirts, took a swipe at me more than once. I persisted in the training, treats, kindness, and I trimmed out the mats rather than tug and pull, she is easy as pie to groom now. She began to trust me to groom her because it didn't hurt. Same goes for feet, when she came she was nippy about nail trimming, once trained, she trusts me to use a dremmel tool to do her nail trim and as long as I have one of the kids "tickle her tummy" she accepts the nail trims calmly. you have to win the trust of your collie, but once you do... they love you forever. You can't beat training and obedience and socialization for any new dog, adopted or purchased. Dental cleanings can be expensive to start, however that is all part of having a dog, eventually no matter how much brushing you do, most dogs need to get the pro cleaning from your vet. Well worth the money IMO. My vet gives me a break on rescued dogs. They offer to take SNAP certificates for neutering, however I agree with the first post, adoption centers do not adopt dogs out that are not neutered and it is usually figured into the adoption fee. My girl is a blue merle colored rough collie. She is loving and kind and she is one of the best obedience dogs I have ever trained. She was an adult and not housebroken when I got her. She occasionally has an accident in the house, but rarely, just part of old age now, she is nearing 8. I love the breed, I have quite a few friends that have collies. I have always heard they are good with kids. My collie never met anybody she didn't like and I take her everywhere. She is my perfect walking dog, she walks like a balloon on a string. I will say that the breed is sensitive, they take a correction very seriously and their feelings can get hurt. Light touch, light correction. Treat him like a puppy on the housebreaking, start from scratch. He will pick up quickly if he is not let out of your sight to start in your house. Leash him in the house, crate him when you leave, walk frequently and praise. Cookie treats, clicker training. I could go on and on, can you tell I love my collie, so glad she came into my life. ps for the geriatric condition on collies, my girl started to really show her age this past year. We started to think about putting her down because of the pain. I put her on yucca capsules. I now have my spinning, and silly run around the table 5 times when you get home girl back. Can't beat that yucca for making them feel better in their joints. She leaps and looks 5 years younger. Don't know how long it will last, but glad to have my silly girl back. PS, collies can be very barky, it is part of the breed, we get the barky face every time we come in the door as she waves her gorgeous flag tail all over. My girl is a rough collie out of two smooth collie parents, she has 50% of the coat and that has been very easy for grooming her these past years. best wishes, hope you write back and tell us you have a new dog in your life. Adair

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish you the best of luck! We love our collie, Kelsey
default_wub.png
. Smart, protective, loving, and beautiful! Mary Lou has a collie, too
default_yes.gif

Magic... You can save a little bit of money by shaving and bathing him yourself... Dogs are easier to clip than minis, and use the same clippers. I clip these two Australian shepherds here with my horse clippers...

Latest posts

Back