Possible Scam? Canadians need your input.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMS Miniatures

Reaction score
Got a email from somebody interested in buying my team draft harness that I have for sale from the ad I put on Lil Beginnings and they are from Canada. Just does not seem right and I am pretty sure this is a Scam but would like your input.

Hello,

I saw your advert over the web and am much interested in buying it. I live in CANADA,I will be responsible for the shipment down to my location, so please kindly write me back with your last offering price.I will also need some of its recent pics,and will like to know its present condition .I am Looking forward to your soonest reply.

MY REGARDS AND WILL LIKE YOU TO CONTACT ME DIRECTLY WITH MY EMAIL ADDRESS

Greetings,

Everything sounds well and am okay with the prize $1350 and I will be offering you $1450 for it so i will want you to keep other buyer's off.Concerning payment I have a friend in the state who is ready to issue you a Certified Cashier's check in USA funds since I don't have the funds in your currency.. For convenient and easy transaction, I have a liable shipping agent who'd be responsible for the shipping as soon as you receive payment.I will therefore need the following information of yours to forward to my friend before he sends the check.....

NAME IN FULL........

ADDRESS IN FULL..........

STATE..............

ZIP CODE........

COUNTRY..........

CELL/OFFICE/HOME PHONE NUMBER.......

I await your soonest reply

MY REGARDS

So is this a scam?

Not a Canadian, but this is a classic scam.
default_smile.png

Thats what I thought. Wasn't sure on the first email, but then the second one came I was pretty sure it was.

Thanks!

Yes, it sounds like some that I get too. Only he did ask for photos, none of mine have as yet.

Anyway, not enough of the correct questions, and you should know HIS name etc etc.......after all. But the extra money for holding the horse is the giveaway. He will say he will send it, then email you and say, OH? My ??? made a mistake and got a certified check for twice the amount. And so on............but with my last scam email the certified check was done on Sunday
default_smile.png
, not likely too many banks are open on that day.
default_smile.png

Yes, just had one of those recently. I think this guy was in Hawaii on a honeymoon he said, something like that.

Yes it's a scam. A friend of mine got the exact same email.

Scam, sorry. My friends put their truck on a site, and were offered much more than they were asking for, they were also sent a check but did nothing with it, as they would have been out that amount of money (fake account). Sick what people will do to make a buck.

Vicki

If that is not a scam i dont know what else is! SCAM!!

Looks like an email i got this week, almost exactly word for word. When i know for a fact it is a scammer, i always try to atleast have some fun with them. Example, the filly this week i listed for sale was a tiny R filly for $950, the scammer emailed me (obviously a scammer) and asked me what my last asking dollar amount was. I replied, i recently increased her to price $1,000,002.99 cents and i would be more then happy to transport the horse myself to his facility very reasonably as i will accept only cash
default_biggrin.png
LOL.

Didn't hear back, but i am sure i shook them up some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a scam. If it isn't that is sad. But, when I think about the way I contact a breeder and the way you were contacted, it kind of sounds a bit fishy. I usually ask for a phone number first.

Definitely a scam I had the same guy email me about a horse I had for sale and the emails are both identical to the ones I got!!!

As a former cop/detective, I had to handle several complaints similar to the one you recieved. Most definately a scam, probably from someone not in Canada.

When I used to received those replies to ads I had posted I used to string the person along until the very end. Got them all upset! hehehe

Scam, sorry. My friends put their truck on a site, and were offered much more than they were asking for, they were also sent a check but did nothing with it, as they would have been out that amount of money (fake account). Sick what people will do to make a buck.Vicki
Hmmm - why not send that cheque to the Police station??

Because most of the scammers are out of the country, they used to be from Nigeria and places like that. Local cops cannot handle anything that far from their jurisdiction. In the US the FBI and Secret Service handle international cases.

Nigerian Scam.

I see they're getting a wee bit smarter- there's only a $100 payout for you on the flip side. Usually they promise much more.

Notice the "liable shipping agent" LOL.

Hi there. Yes, I am a Canadian and have received a few emails such as yours.

DEFINITELY scammers.

The ones I received were from a so-called "minister" in Nigeria when I was selling puppies, and then about 3 months later I received the very same email from a "lawyer" from Nigeria when I was selling a mini. Didn't even change any of the wording.
default_rolleyes.gif

I received the same two responses, almost word for word. I replied asking a whole bunch of questions about this prospective buyer, and asking for references. Two hours later, I received the "everything is in order and I am prepared to offer you...for the BIKE". Gee, I didn't notice my minis have grown wheels! I have received legit inquires for Canada. I was immediately told where in Canada this real person lives, and checked it against a Mini-horse club in that province. It is nerve-wracking enough trying to sell horses in this economy with-out these idiots!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back