Possible Pintaloosa?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albahurst

Reaction score
I clipped my sorrel pinto colt - his baby hair was much llighter colored than what is underneath. Also, he has these dark spots all over his hips and flanks, some in front of the flanks. I thought when I first clipped him that his skin was just really dark back there and I needed to use a different blade on him next time, so as not to clip him so close- I used a #10. But, as his hair is growing back out, he has these dark spots all over in the hind end. It seems that he is developing more of them as his hair grows in and I thought they would disappear if it was just a short cut. I clipped him probably three weeks ago now. So, I am curious-- what could these dark spots mean?

I can't seem to post any pics- something to do with my computer. But, I do have some and can PM them on if anyone wants to take a look.

I am really curious.

Peggy

Here are Peggy's pictures:

PeggyColt2.jpg

PeggyColt.jpg

PeggyColt3.jpg

I see no signs of appy in this colt, and if his sire is who I think he is, I own this colt's grandsire and he has dark "smudges" on his hip. I'd say this colt has Bend d'Or spots.

I can't see the pictures (bad lighting in my office at this time of day so my monitor is not very clear) but I have a sorrel yearling that has numerous black spots ranging from dime sized to the size of a dollar coin and I am positive there is no appy in his lineage anywhere. I agree, Ben d'or spots.

Thanks for the input. I was wondering what he had going on.

Sorry about the funny clip- I didn't finish
default_smile.png

Peggy

"I agree, Ben d'or spots."

What are Ben d'or spots? I know it seems to be these dark patches on the hips or flanks my boy has some of these spots.

I agree on the Ben d'Or spots. To my knowledge they are only seen on red based horses. Is that correct?

Dinah, palomino has a big one...can't remember where.

Very pretty colt Peggy. Who are mom and dad?

Charlotte

Thanks all- and thanks to those who PM'd me, too. This has been educational for me.

Charlotte- This colt is our Alba Hursts Quite the Ruckus. He is a firecracker
default_smile.png
I am surprised he stood still long enough for me to get some quick snapshots! lol He is two and a half months old. His sire is our stunning AMHA Top Ten and PtHA Reserve WC sabino tovero, Redrock Lots o Spots and his dam is our lovely Brewers Summer Star Supreme. She is a beauty
default_wub.png

Thanks again to all who shared an opinion!

Peggy

www.albahurst.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Many sorrels and chestnuts with no appy breeding have these darker spots. It's a normal coloring it seems with them. Also, MOST sorrel/chestnut Appies would have white spots or hairs come in- and then with reddish spots in the white, not black on red, though in the white you will find a variety of colors of spots there- from a couple of almost black to various shades of red.

My leopard stud has a spot in the shape of a heart, and half is light red and half is chestnut!

Will try to get some pics for examples when I get home if I can. They have some pretty interesting things happen.

Latest posts

Back