Possible first mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoahG

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
So today I got to go see a rescued mini that needs to be rehomed, since she didn't get along with the other minis where she was initially adopted. I have been actively been trying to get minis since July, only to be met with disappointment and closing doors. I'm so used to people changing their minds, making up reasons for me not to receive the mini I wanted, or flat out ceasing communication with me, that I'm almost in disbelief that this is actually happening! She's so wonderful too! Other than having issues getting along with other mares, she's very sweet, only 4 years old and obviously has had training in the past. I've had a spot at my local boarding facility reserved since September, for another mini that sadly didn't work out for me to adopt (I'll spare the details but it was absolutely heartbreaking). Now that I'm actually possibly finally getting a mini, I'm going frantic to make sure everything is ready for her when she arrives (maybe this is sort of what becoming a parent is like? I dunno.) and making a list of things I need for my tack locker/supply room. I know the basic first aid stuff, like banamine, bandages and other things for cuts, but I'm now trying as quickly as I can to make a list of everything I need. Are there any good websites you can recommend to start purchasing things for my mini?
I apologize for the frantic writing style of this post, but I want everything to be perfect for her!

--Noah

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations! I hope she is everything you hope for.
Minitack.com has a good selection of miniature items.
Mr Mike's Tack Shack on facebook has a nice selection.
Just for Ponies website might be able to help with some items.

She’s beautiful, Noah!! 💕

I think very little is actually needed to start.. curry comb, soft bristle brush, hoof pick, mane and tail brush/ comb. A comfortable safe halter and a couple of lead lines ((for when you misplace one ;))

Will your mini have her own stall or run? They get along well with big horses but need a space apart from their larger neighbors just for safety.

She looks in excellent shape. Do you need to purchase any feed or hay? You have probably already asked what she is being fed so you can continue that for her.

There are advantages to being at a boarding stable and you and your mini will no doubt make some new friends!

As you spend time walking and grooming her you will slowly discover what things you may want or need!

It sounds like what she needs most is her own special friend and that would be you!

Hi Noah,

Congrats, she is so pretty. Her coloring reminds me of my new boy.

I think @MaryFlora is spot on. If you want to order online, Corro has some great items + Stateline Tack.

I got all the grooming supplies I needed + a pony halter and lead at my local feed store. Prices were a bit higher than online, but I was time constrained too & it’s always good to support brick & mortar when you can.

Good luck!! I hope she is yours in no time!

She'll have her own stall and turnout areas are available for horses to use, and most of them are suitable for a mini. I'm also definitely looking into additional protection on the wall of her stall that's shared by a full size horse. This is just temporary (probably less than a year) until the property we have for horses has been renovated and safe for them to move into. Thanks for all the help!

She’s beautiful, Noah!! 💕

I think very little is actually needed to start.. curry comb, soft bristle brush, hoof pick, mane and tail brush/ comb. A comfortable safe halter and a couple of lead lines ((for when you misplace one ;))

Will your mini have her own stall or run? They get along well with big horses but need a space apart from their larger neighbors just for safety.

She looks in excellent shape. Do you need to purchase any feed or hay? You have probably already asked what she is being fed so you can continue that for her.

There are advantages to being at a boarding stable and you and your mini will no doubt make some new friends!

As you spend time walking and grooming her you will slowly discover what things you may want or need!

It sounds like what she needs most is her own special friend and that would be you!
She's on teff right now. Depending on what I do with her at the boarding facility food will be provided. I heard (and experienced firsthand) that minis are especially vulnerable to ingesting dirt. Would you recommend a haynet for feeding in an open dirt stall?

Congratulations! I hope she is everything you hope for.
Minitack.com has a good selection of miniature items.
Mr Mike's Tack Shack on facebook has a nice selection.
Just for Ponies website might be able to help with some items.
I've looked at them and I'm glad to hear others like them! Probably ordering from them.

Congratulations Noah. Feeling your love and excitement to have a mini, it's a shame not finding one. I'm extremely happy for you. Thanks for sharing.

Congratulations Noah. Feeling your love and excitement to have a mini, it's a shame not finding one. I'm extremely happy for you. Thanks for sharing.
Yeah it was really sad. I spent months with this mini yearling colt. I was there when he was gelded, I taught him to trot on command, not to spook when I shuffled my feet etc. Then the person I was going to get him from cut off all communication from me and had a friend of hers tell me never to come back. It was verry bizarre and even though it happened in September it breaks my heart to remember it. I really need a sweet mini in my life.

I’m not sure about a hay net as I don’t use them at home, only in the horse trailer back in the day. There are hay bags that go on the ground providing more of a natural posture grazing experience. I bet someone that actually uses those will jump in soon and share their experience.

Good question!

It depends on the horse as to what size of hay net you should use, if any at all.

I have a horse I am trying to put weight on, so he doesn’t have a hay net during the day. I put his hay in one of those huge silver water troughs (minus the water LOL). I have another horse who is a little fatty and will gorge himself until he colics, so he gets the smallest hay net I can find. I love the hay nets from hay burners equine:
https://hayburnersequine.com/product/mini-horse-size-slow-feed-hay-nets/
If it is a dirt floor, you could always get matts from TSC to put down in her stall.

And …… EVERYONE NEEDS a sweet mini… or 2…. In their life 💕💕💕💕

PS. If you are worried about her ingesting dirt, you could always give her some Sand Clear once a month for about a week.

It depends on the horse as to what size of hay net you should use, if any at all.

I have a horse I am trying to put weight on, so he doesn’t have a hay net during the day. I put his hay in one of those huge silver water troughs (minus the water LOL). I have another horse who is a little fatty and will gorge himself until he colics, so he gets the smallest hay net I can find. I love the hay nets from hay burners equine:
https://hayburnersequine.com/product/mini-horse-size-slow-feed-hay-nets/
If it is a dirt floor, you could always get matts from TSC to put down in her stall.

And …… EVERYONE NEEDS a sweet mini… or 2…. In their life 💕💕💕💕

PS. If you are worried about her ingesting dirt, you could always give her some Sand Clear once a month for about a week.
Thank you! Definitely getting mats for her, and having sand clear on hand just in case is going on the list. The rescue has 15 more minis coming in from Oklahoma on Saturday and I'm hoping to find her a friend then. Preferably an easygoing gelding.

I use Hay Pillows too! I also have rubber mats in their shelter. I like the idea that their heads are in the more natural position for eating, similar to grazing. Also, it slows consumption of hay and eliminates waste. I don't see photos either?

Congratulations!! I say you can't have just one 😁
I agree with all you have responded to your question. I'm looking forward to hearing more about minis👍

Reactions: Taz
I expect the mods had to remove the picture, as we're not to post pictures of horses that aren't our own. I'd have like to see her too.

What is the name of the rescue? You could pm it to me. Fifteen rescues at one time is a large herd to bring in even if they ARE minis. At this time of year and a storm rolling in from the northwest...🥶🥶🥶

You've gotten sound advice already. I look forward to seeing her when she gets home to you.

Hey everyone, as a possible alternative to hay pillows (since for the first couple months she'll be at a public boarding facility and employees there will be feeding her primarily) I might get a rubber mat or two for food to be put on to cut down on how much dirt she intakes. I would have to find out the specifics of feeding time and see if packing a hay pillow would work with the worker's schedule. I'll keep all of you guys posted. So far so good on the adoption process!

Latest posts

Back