Popping hock joints in 4 month old foal,imput needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnyfarmnorth

Reaction score
I wondered if any one has experience with young weanlings having "popping" hocks. This guy has it in both hocks. When he walks his hock appears to come to the ending point of that step and then pop. Not audible just visable. It's like it wants to bend too far forward and then snaps. It doesn't seem to bother him,no swelling or heat,and he runs and plays so it doesn't appear to be an injury. The breeder says he didn't have this before she delivered him and it is probably related to long ride(12 hours). We put him in his stall that night and the next morning I noticed it. Now 3 days later he still does it just the same. Call to my Vet suggested laxity in tendons/ligaments. I will have her out Tuesday for firm diagnosis. I really like this guy though Vet recommends not keeping him. She doesn't feel it will correct at this age and is not related to shipping. Have any of you had this happen? What was the out come? Thanks.

I have not had this happen like you describe, but I would refer to your vet for diagnosis.

I will say it sounds like something that is very undesirable in a breeding horse, but again, if it's something else that's not genetic (though I think having it happen at all is probably a bad thing to have in a breeding horse), then your vet should know.

My best guess is that the stall confinement/trailer ride wasn't good for him and I know with some growing horses it can cause them to have the issues you describe. There may be (something I've heard again, please run this possibility by your vet) some type of deficiency causing the condition and symptoms, but again I would not know that, only things I've heard others say that could cause those things to happen.

If you plan to use him for breeding, then your vet is probably right.

Your vet will know for sure when she sees him. It could be his conformation that is causing the issue or at the root of it. If that is the case, then there are things to be done to keep him sound, or manage any discomfort if there were any.

As far as dealing with the seller, then you have to work out a deal with them as to refund/exchange, or refer to your sales agreement.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.

Liz

I would bet that your youngster too is suffering from a stifle problem, not an issue in the hocks and yes a long haul, change of feed and environment could bring it on. I know the first time I saw a young horse with stifle problems I thought it was in the hock also. It will likely self fix in time but would be a good idea to have a vet look at him for a definate diagnosis.

Just an update. The breeder allowed me to return the colt today for a full refund. I am bumming, there was so much I loved about this guy. Thanks for your responses. Jane

I returned your e-mail.

I'm so sorry, I know you're hurting.
default_no.gif

Joyce

I am sorry to hear how this has worked out, but so glad that the breeder is standing behind their horses/sale and making it right by you.

Poor little guy (and you). I hope he finds a great home where he can be cared for properly.

Liz

Sooo sorry Jane to hear of your trouble with the new boy...glad you could return him to the breeder and hopefully you will find another you will love just as much!!!!!
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back