Poor little dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorthorsemom

Reaction score
I just needed to vent about this poor little dog I just took into my home on Friday night. Story is that the dog has been living with a 90+ year old man whom has been bouncing from hospital to nursing homes and back for well over a year. According to the neighbors this man has had difficulties caring for his dog for much longer than that. Two months ago this man went into the hospital and neighbors have been stopping by to feed the little dog and let her out when they could for that long. This poor little dear dog has been living ALONE in an empty house for over 2 months! Caring neighbors (but not dog people) would let the dog out a couple of times a day, fed her "kibbles and bits" and put down Pee-pee pads for her to go on. They did not have permission from the neighbor to remove the dog. Thank goodness for the neighbors to be caring for the dog or she would have been dead.

One of these kind neighbors put an ad into my work notice board asking for help with the dog because the nephew of the senior neighbor finally gave permission for the dog to be re-homed. That is where I came in. I asked them to contact the owners relatives and get it in writing that custody of the dog turned over to me so we could get the little dog out of that house and into a home situation. I met the little dog "Bunny" on Friday night and now she is in my home learning how to go potty outside and learning that people do care. I understand that the owner of the dog had gotten rather senile in the last few years and that he would yell and hit the dog and really was too old to be having a dog anyway without help.
default_no.gif

Please people, if you know of a senior citizen that has a dog, please check on them and make sure they can still care for the dog properly and if not, please consider arranging foster care or a dog walker or something so the owner can still visit and love the dog, but the dog still gets proper care. goodness. I just cried when I heard this baby's story. My initial observation is that she seems to be a sweet loveable trainable dog and my dogs are already accepting her into my "pack" and teaching her the rules. My human family is bonding to her already and although I was expecting my home to be a foster wayside for this dog until I could get her re-homed, I am already thinking that my home needs to be her last stop. I think she would love living on a farm with little kids and people being home alot and her new mommy (me) trains dogs and thinks she is really cool.

The other kicker is that when I read the noticeboard I was expecting a mixed breed (which would have been just fine) but then one of the neighbors said they thought it was a pure bred dog but they couldn't remember what breed she was. I'm looking at her and saying to myself, that might be true, but she was not a breed I was real familiar with, so I check the AKC website and we now have a Tibetan Spaniel in our home. She looks so much like the picture it could be a photo of her. Imagine that. Just had to share my weekend dog story with you. Remember your senior friends and neighbors that have dogs. Glad somebody remembered to check on her, but I wish they had re-homed her a long time ago for her sake. Also, don't give a dog to a senior for companionship unless you are positive they can properly care for the dog... I can't wait to see her bloom. best wishes. wish me luck...
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Wishing you all the luck in the world with your new addition to your pack, bless you for taking her in and loving on her. Sounds like it is suppose to be.

Thank you for your kind reply.... I almost forgot to mention the "kicker"... This little dog is 7 years old and is not spayed!! Would any of you give your senior relative a non spayed dog to live with!! aahhhh(that's a scream)
default_new_shocked.gif
Lucky me.. I do believe she is coming in heat now with all the stress so it will be awhile for before we can get her spayed, I don't think the vets will do her in heat, even if she isn't fully in, but will call on tomorrow just in case. probably why the guy didn't have registration papers on the dog, papers were probably held until he got the dog spayed and it didn't happen.

gonna be a long trip with the housetraining, but I am persistant, she does pee in the crate so it will be harder with that habit, I still have to check her for a bladder infection to rule that out, but I imagine she has been going anywhere for quite some time, sigh.

thank goodness you have her, poor thing. the vets here where i live will still spay if a dog is in heat they just charge more , i think $25 more good luck

Glad that this dog has a wonderful home with you. Thank you for opening up your heart and home to this dog.

Thanks all, going to be a long ride I think. Looking at her nipples I bet she has had some false pregnancies. Internet says wait 3 months after heat so the ovaries can signal the end? I am doing alot of reading tonight. I have lived with dogs all my life but have neutered all of them. Only had one go into heat and she got a false pregnancy and I remember it being a pain and delayed spaying. My vet is cool, so I need to make a call tomorrow to see what she recommends. I just want the best for the little dog. Lucky for me my husband is really taking a liking to the new little girl. We just lost an 18 year old min pin that was his favorite, so I think this little girl is going to be his next "baby girl". I took her in thinking of a couple of friends that were looking for a dog, but with all I have discovered after a couple of days, I do think she needs to land in a safe haven the first time. thats me. My dogs must have instinct she is staying, I have 4 dogs and they all are welcoming her like she belongs.
default_smile.png

The last dog I had spayed( a few months ago) the vet said wait 2 weeks after they are done bleeding, then they could be fixed. She was 2.

Good for you for taking her in...I was just reading a dog magazine last week and there was an advertisement for an organization that helps seniors with thier dogs...fosters the dogs while the senior is in hospital/unable to care for dog...helps seniors with vet appts...teaches proper care, etc...all while the senior can still "own" thier dog (of course I'm sure if they are able)..looked like a great organization. Both senior and dog do benefit from each others company...of course only if the senior knows how to take care of the animal. I can try to find the name of the organization if anyone is interested in being a part of it.

Wow Sonya, never heard of it, but if you get the information I would love to know more. It sure would have helped this little dog. I would love to do something like that someday. These dogs so often have training issues. This little dog is going to really need some extensive training, I can tell that already. Good thing she is so sweet and she keeps looking at me with those eyes. My kids say she has "puss eyes", you know in Shrek II when puss in boots gives Shrek those big eyes... too cute. She was fussy about her food and then we had pizza for dinner and the dog was doing flips and barking in my face. Guess its safe to say she is used to table food. ha ha, its going to be an interesting journey.

The stupidity of people ....
default_wacko.png
For sure the dog would be dead if the neighbors did not get involved. I am sorry to hear this. It sure took them a while to figure out the poor dog needed proper care. Thank god someone had the guts to speak up . I would imagine she will have some social problems as well, that you might have to work on, especially being in that situation for the past 7 years ( is that correct)??

Well , congradulations on your new addition, another mouth to feed for you .... but as I said before , I believe 99.9% of us on the forum love all the animals , especially the ones that need our help. Thanks for cleaning up someone esles mess, and what kind of dog is she? You should post a photo if you can. Its very kind of you to take this little doggie in , you must have a big heart, or like me ,have "sucker" written across your forehead.
default_laugh.png

The organization is call "Pet Peace of Mind". I am not endorsing this, I didn't look into it in any way just saw the ad in a magazine. Ad says, it is a free service available to seniors, started in 2007 by someone involved with Hospice. It says it helps with routine medical, food, boarding, walking, temp homes.

for more info Pet Peace of Mind

Looks like a great organization, but as I said, I didn't look into it.

This thread got me thinking about an episode of animal cops I saw a while back.

The animal control officers were summoned by an elderly man's neighbor. The neighbor claimed the man was neglecting the dog. Officers went to the man's house..the dog was somewhat neglected..it had an eye infection that the old man really couldn't see and the dog..a crap-zu or the like..small, long hair..was very matted...the dog was well fed but he hadn't taken the dog to the vet for it's shots nor it's eye (which honestly you could barily see because of the matted hair)..the officers started to take the dog and the elderly man started sobbing like a child..'please don't take her'...a different neighbor came over when he heard the ruckus..this neighbor helped the old man occasionally...helped him get groceries and meds..but he was not a dog person so really never paid much attention to the condition of the dog. The helpful neighbor explained to the officers that the old man had no family or friends and that little dog was all he had. He talked the officers into letting the old man keep the dog and the neighbor promised to take the dog to the vet and groomer...acouple weeks went by and the officers stopped by again..the dog's eye was clearing up and the dog had been clipped and groomed...they let him keep the dog. A couple months later they stopped again and the dog was still groomed and it's eye was all healed...just an example that sometimes all the elderly need is alittle help with thier animals. In no way would it of benefited for the cops to take this dog..the dog would of probably been put to sleep and the old man would of died of lonliness....it was a happy story and one I will always remember...it was a tear jerker for sure when that poor lonely old man thought they were going to take away his only friend in the world.

Oh wow Sonya. That last post brought tears to my eyes. I think in a lot of ways seniors need their pets more than younger people do.

The stupidity of people ....
default_wacko.png
For sure the dog would be dead if the neighbors did not get involved. I am sorry to hear this. It sure took them a while to figure out the poor dog needed proper care. Thank god someone had the guts to speak up . I would imagine she will have some social problems as well, that you might have to work on, especially being in that situation for the past 7 years ( is that correct)??Well , congradulations on your new addition, another mouth to feed for you .... but as I said before , I believe 99.9% of us on the forum love all the animals , especially the ones that need our help. Thanks for cleaning up someone esles mess, and what kind of dog is she? You should post a photo if you can. Its very kind of you to take this little doggie in , you must have a big heart, or like me ,have "sucker" written across your forehead.
default_laugh.png
Hi Krissy3, I have sucker written on my forehead, but also have a big heart. We lost an 18 year old min pin two months ago so there is a hole in my house. I will try to post a photo when I take some. She is a tibetan spaniel. I thought she was a mixed breed at first and the neighbor friend said she thought it was a pure bred dog. I wracked my brain and then looked on my AKC web page and she is definitely a tibetan spaniel. Looks exactly like the photo, cream and white, big fancy feathered tail and everything. I haven't seen many Tibbys, but her temperament is exactly like the web page described. The former owner didn't have papers, but according to him the breeder wouldn't let him have them, but I bet the breeder withheld papers pending spay of the dog which never happened. She seems fairly social, surprisingly so. A little wary of strangers initially (except kids, loves them right off), she warms up quickly and has happy tail. No crate training, no housebreaking, but I have a kind full sized Collie that is serving as her mentor and showing her the ropes. The crate training is rough, but I draw the line at poo all over my house while she is learning what grass is for. She is great with kids and other animals and loves our mini horses. I'll have my work cut out for me I am sure, but there was something that brought her into our lives. She did poo all over the cage today and earned herself a nice bath . The bath went well and she was very cooperative. so far so good, didn't even mind the dryer. She seems to be greatful for us taking her in, all kisses and nice manners.

I have a vet appointment for her, the ears are nasty, she has ultra long toe nails, is a bit itchy from a harness they left on her all the time and it rubbed her arm pits, and she is going into heat already, probably from the stress. She expects table food but is getting used to eating dog food, but only if I put some gravy stuff on it. Gonna take some time I am sure. thanks
default_saludando.gif

My mother and I both have Tibby's and have had many other breeds/dogs over the years. I have trained and shown my dogs also. Tibby's are a major headache to housetrain. It helps if you have a doggy door but it is very frustrating.

Robin

Bless you for stepping in when you found out. I sorta rescued a dog that was 2 yrs old and not potty trained. She just kept going on the carpet in the dining room of all places. I really didn't think I could re-house train her, when she had to go, she would get up and walk in the dining room even if I had let her out 30 minutes ago. So I asked a dog trainer for help. He recommended to take up her water 1 hour before bed and crate her at night and while I'm not home. Then the other thing is that I would walk out with her with treats in my hand (don't let them see you get the treats). Then I would say "go potty" and when she was right at the end of pottying, tell her "good girl" and give her the treat. After some persistance and crate training IT WORKED! I wish you luck! Thanks for taking in the poor doggie. She found a good home with you!

I had her to the vet yesterday... Luckily she is heartworm negative.
default_biggrin.png
She does have a nasty yeast infection in her ears that we will be treating. Other than being in heat and not being able to be spayed for 6 weeks, and having some nasty tartar on her teeth we will deal with when she settles in, she is happy and healthy considering she has had almost no vet care or preventative care for most of her life. We trimmed the overly long nails too. Fecal was negative too. Not too bad all in all. She is trying to fit in with my other dogs and she is picking up the crate training and is satisfied to go potty out-doors now too, copies all the other dogs. Her name is Bonnie. Still haven't taken any photos yet, my camera is on the blitz, but will try soon. Thanks for all the good wishes guess I have a new dog, can't see re-homing her when she is finding her place here so well. I'd make a lousy foster parent, I'd keep them all.
default_saludando.gif

I had her to the vet yesterday... Luckily she is heartworm negative.
default_biggrin.png
She does have a nasty yeast infection in her ears that we will be treating. Other than being in heat and not being able to be spayed for 6 weeks, and having some nasty tartar on her teeth we will deal with when she settles in, she is happy and healthy considering she has had almost no vet care or preventative care for most of her life. We trimmed the overly long nails too. Fecal was negative too. Not too bad all in all. She is trying to fit in with my other dogs and she is picking up the crate training and is satisfied to go potty out-doors now too, copies all the other dogs. Her name is Bonnie. Still haven't taken any photos yet, my camera is on the blitz, but will try soon. Thanks for all the good wishes guess I have a new dog, can't see re-homing her when she is finding her place here so well. I'd make a lousy foster parent, I'd keep them all.
default_saludando.gif
Well, she'll be under for her spay surgery in around 6 weeks, so just have her teeth cleaned while she's under, then she wouldn't have to be anethesized (sp?) twice. Just a thought.

Good for you taking her in. can't wait to see pics.

I will ask my vet about doing teeth while spaying, but last time I asked they didn't want to stir up all that oral bacteria while undergoing a sterile surgical procedure. Good thinking though, can't hurt to ask. It sure would make things easier. I am brushing her teeth with that oral hygiene gel from oxyfresh. Hopefully it will start working on the tartar. She regressed over the weekend on housetraining. pooping in her crate a bit. Doesn't like going outside in the rain
default_no.gif
. Time to get an x-pen I think so I can tell which poo is hers in the yard. I have heard this breed is hard to housebreak, (heard it once on the forum here and today in my feed store). She only had one accident in a week, then several over the last 24 hours. Could also be her system is all out of wack with the new food and schedule too. She was getting mostly table food and yucky kibbles and bits where she came from. She is bonding to our family and still seems pleasant. The ears are a mess still, hope they start to turn the corner soon, she does hate the stuff I am putting in them. wish me luck
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back