Pool test strips

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It varies according to the results of the test and the other signs the mare is showing. I would test and if it's not high in calcium or mid to low in ph, you could wait 24 hrs to test. If the PH is on the lower side, I would at least test again with in 12 hrs or less.

I do often test every evening, or every few days depending on the results.

Hope this helps!

We do the same as Kim.......If the results are not even close, we wait a couple of days and continue watching the physical signs. If the readings are close, we will not even wait a full 24 hours. We also test in the evenings, when doing the 24 hour test.

The amount of mare's milk you pull for each test is so minimal, it isn't a problem, incase you're worried about "taking away" future colostrum from the foal.

The amount of mare's milk you pull for each test is so minimal, it isn't a problem, incase you're worried about "taking away" future colostrum from the foal.
Thanks that was my worry

we are close but I think a few more days

by the test

hardness is 500 and strips still a little pink (not orange)- last night

my strips expired in Jan 08 just noticed, hope they still work

watch now that I said that she'll foal in an hour

thanks for your responses

Lori

Last edited by a moderator:
Lori,

Be careful with expired strips. We have learned they aren't as accurate. They aren't that expensive, so it's no big deal to toss them and buy a new box annually. (We get ours at WalMart.)

Latest posts

Back