Pool test strips

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

Kim~Crayonboxminiatures

Reaction score
It varies according to the results of the test and the other signs the mare is showing. I would test and if it's not high in calcium or mid to low in ph, you could wait 24 hrs to test. If the PH is on the lower side, I would at least test again with in 12 hrs or less.

I do often test every evening, or every few days depending on the results.

Hope this helps!

Miniv

Reaction score
We do the same as Kim.......If the results are not even close, we wait a couple of days and continue watching the physical signs. If the readings are close, we will not even wait a full 24 hours. We also test in the evenings, when doing the 24 hour test.

The amount of mare's milk you pull for each test is so minimal, it isn't a problem, incase you're worried about "taking away" future colostrum from the foal.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
The amount of mare's milk you pull for each test is so minimal, it isn't a problem, incase you're worried about "taking away" future colostrum from the foal.
Thanks that was my worry

we are close but I think a few more days

by the test

hardness is 500 and strips still a little pink (not orange)- last night

my strips expired in Jan 08 just noticed, hope they still work

watch now that I said that she'll foal in an hour

thanks for your responses

Lori

Last edited by a moderator:

Miniv

Reaction score
Lori,

Be careful with expired strips. We have learned they aren't as accurate. They aren't that expensive, so it's no big deal to toss them and buy a new box annually. (We get ours at WalMart.)

Latest posts