pool test strip question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wc minis

Reaction score
I have a mare here that is 318 days from her last breed date. I have been testing with the 6 way pool test strips on and off for a few weeks. The test has always read 0 - 100 and 8.4. Since last week the calcium has been gradually going up to 200, than to 400 the past few days and tonight it is 1000. The ph though is still at 8.4 and has not moved at all. I have used these strips on 2 other mares and on them the calcium has always changed along with the ph. So I guess I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their mares and how long did it take for the ph to start going down? Thank you in advance
default_smile.png
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had one test 1,000 on the calcium, because the ph always drops before they get that high so I stop testing. I would sure keep a close eye on her just in case.

I did have a client's mare here to foal this year and her test didn't change at all 2 hours before she foaled! It was still testing calcium low and ph high, I think it's a bit of an oddball year with signs.

Good luck!

Also I have a box with probably 25 strips left if anyone would like it, I don't have anymore to foal this year and it expires before next year.

I would definitely watch her.........and continue testing. I bet the minute her PH changes, you'll have a foal.

Also, just a comment about the test strips. We are finding that if they are a year old, even if they haven't expired yet, they aren't as accurate. So we automatically buy a new box every year.

Thanks, I do watch her like a hawk and have been testing every evening this past week. She has about a 1/2 bag, and has had white milk in there for quite a while. Yesterday, when I went to get the milk from her, her bag like I said is not huge or anything, but she has plenty of white watery liquid, and I could fill a shot glass pretty easily if I wanted to. So I have been waiting for that to change over from watery to sticky, but that hasnt happened yet either. Wondering if it is going to change over really fast
default_laugh.png

Last year, I missed this mare when she foaled. When I left, I checked her and there was no indication that she was going to foal, came home a few hours later and there was a dry filly
default_smile.png
Thankfully everything went fine. I have been watching for other signs so we dont have a repeat of last year. I think too the mares try to be sneaky
default_wacko.png

Ahhhhhhh.........she's one of those "last minute wonders"!!!!
default_biggrin.png
Yep, she'll keep you guessing right up to the last minute.

Latest posts

Back