pony mares and hormones

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcharr36

Reaction score
I have just about had it with 2 of my Welsh mares. They are good broodmares, but their dispositions while pregnant, AHHRRR! They are imposible to deal with; absolute nightmares. I just posted one on the for sale board. She has got to go.
frusty.gif

Wow, really don't know what to tell you. My bred mares are usually such sweethearts that this isnt' something I'm familiar with. I have a few that are really witches when they have a new foal at side but I can kinda understand that.

I have 2 mares who are also absolute sweethearts. But this one, just beat the holy crap out of my Arabian mare for no reason. And I mean BEAT her. Trapped her in her stall and got her down. I'm just praying the Arab mare doesn't slip her foal because of it. There has got to be something I can slip in her feed to sweeten her disposition.
frusty.gif

If anyone gets that witchy here, we just move her to a different paddock--either in with someone she does get along with, or else on her own. If she can't live with anyone else, then she has to live alone! Fortunately we've never had a mare that nasty here--all get to have at least one pasture companion that they get along with. We have had to do some switching, though, to find the right company for a couple of them!

Thanks Minimor, but this didn't happen in the pasture. Everyone gets along pretty well outside. If someone gets grouchy, there is room to get away. This was at evening feeding time. I was bringing everyone inside for the night. Each has his or her own assigned stall. I just open the barn door and everyone knows where to go. I then go along behind and close the stall door. This night, for some reason, Susie decided she wanted Gayla's stall. Gayla was standing peacefully in it waiting for me to close her door. Before I could get to her and close the door, Susie charged in and proceeded to reek havoc. Gayla may be the biggest horse on the place, but she's at the bottom of the pecking order.

If I could have gotten my hands on a whip I swear I'd have beaten Susie to death. Luckily for her there was no whips handy. Or guns. I'm trying to be whip free around here. I don't want to be beat on and I sure don't want my horses beat, but this tested the mettle of the nicest person.

After it was all over with and Gayla had torn herself up jumping through the feed door, Susie settled right down and let me lead her to her stall. She has been just fine ever since.

Thankfully, I've settled down too and don't know any horse traders. Or Susie would have been gone by now.

Back