Pony Daycare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super! My husband will be thrilled when I tell him you guys said I need TWO more ponies!!
default_smile.png

I had planned to put a thick layer of shavings over the tile, but Gatsby tries to eat shavings--what's that about? He is used to being on tile in the house, but I can add matting in the playhouse. We have coyotes in the area so I have to put Gatsby up at night, right? I don't think I would sleep well if I didn't. We'll come up with a solution for the walls--very good point Max's Mom. Tomorrow starts our holiday rush with Christmas boarding dogs, so Gatsby will have to be a house pony until after the first of the year.

He does spend about six hours a day outside now. He loves to "show off" for our clients and rip around the front acre bucking, rearing, and tossing his head. He is very entertaining!

Gatsby Boogies.jpg

I love his face!

Hes too cute! And keep us posted on him and his progress.

I personally dont think he should be in house BUT hes urs and as long as hes happy healthy and loved, thats what matter most.

I'm probably 30 minutes from you...and most of my horses live outside winter and summer, with shelter available to them always. Most often their choice is to stand out in the weather instead of under cover, doesn't make sense to me but I'm not a horse lol. Your guy will be fine outside as long as he has a place to get out of the rain/wind/hot sun when he chooses. Lots of coyotes down here, but I would think they might shy away from your place if you have lots of dogs on the property. The only time I really worry about coyotes is with foals. If you add another horse - and have good predator resistant fence - coyotes will probably look for easier prey. I've seen them on my property but to my knowledge, they have never messed with the horses. I watched one trot through the herd not long ago, one of the mares kind of ran at him and he took off.

I second the suggestion to add mats to your barn, and bed over those with shavings. He may nibble shavings a bit at first, not unusual esp for a baby, but they generally lose interest pretty quickly as long as they have enough hay or forage to keep them occupied. Tractor Supply has good sturdy mats that won't slip around. The light weight lock together mats are easier to handle but don't tend to stand up to horse movement long term.

Jan

I so have to agree with the others if you can get him a gelding friend he will be happy to live outdoors where he should be

I'm not sure where your from but a heated inviroment like a house is not the best for his health, horses are meant for cold weather

and are very comfortable in it as long as they have a place to get out of the wind and weather if they choose.

So as said you won't have 2 house ponys you would have 2 outside and happy ponies in the end. And it would allow him to run and play as he should be doing

at his age.

Your dogs will probably be happier too

By the way welcome to the forum and do you have any pics to share of you boy...we love pictures

Keep us posted on how you make out with him

One thing that concerns me is the question of how you feed him at night- do you just give him a pile of hay in the corner of your room?

Rabittsfizz--he eats out of dog bowls, of course! He gets fed twice a day--enough hay for him to snack on all day/night long, and two cups of oats plus two cups of Mare & Foal pellets each meal. I started him on SeaMeal about a month ago as well, to help with his skin and coat. I did try a lunch feeding of soaked alfalfa cubes and beet pulp, but he didn't care for it. I put his pellets in a Kong Wobbler some meals, when he needs the extra stimulation due to bad weather, etc.

Thanks to those that responded regarding the coyotes--makes me feel so much better!

So, if Gatsby is going to get a new horse friend, should it be a male or female? Close to his age or older?

Thanks also to those that complimented on the shepherd in my avatar--she is the sweetest pup we have bred. We are into GSD's the way you guys are into mini's--it is a true labor of love!

I would suggest, the sooner the better, on getting another one. I only have one mini. She is two and a half. I've had her since she was around 20 mons. old. I have to board her, which is why I only got one, but I am wishing I had got two, at the same time, that got along. As she now, doesn't get along with other horses too well. So for me to get one, and bring it now, most likely there would be issues with trying to keep them in a paddock together. If I could put them side by side for awhile that would be good, but there is no way to do that, where I have her boarded right now. Anyway, I now feel the longer they are alone, the harder it is to get them to accept others...this is of course, dependent on personality too. So so wish I could bring in a tiny gelding to be with her right now. But I also worry about her kicking him to death. She is sweet with us...my husband and I, but not with the horses that are even next to her.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a lot of respect for anyone that is an animal lover.

What I see you need is "horse sense" and please don't take that in any kind of derogatory way. What you need is a good mentor at your disposal to help talk things over with you when you feel the need. If you don't have anyone that can work with you one on one, CMHR, offer that kind of help to anyone for the asking.

If getting a companion for him I would go for another male of approx the same age, certainly the same size. Like children, young horses need other youngsters to have fun with, to race and chase about with, to spar with - think of your pups and how they play together, whereas one pup together with a middle aged dog, not the same opportunity for fun and games!

Also if your boy is still entire, you would not want to get a filly for company - he could well be fertile!! So get that outside shelter and space organised asap and go companion hunting. Good luck.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back