Poltergeists at Shows?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yaddax3

Reaction score
We were at a show two weeks ago and one of our cart's tires was flat. I feared the inner tube had a hole in it, but after pumping the tire up it has held air through two weeks and more than a dozen classes.

At the same show, a cavesson disappeared before our mini's driving classes, then reappeared after the classes were over.

And then ...

One of our best driving minis was acting weird at that show two weeks ago. He was tossing his head and had a little skip. He's never had either of those issues before, but we just thought he was having an off day. The same thing happened in his first driving class this past weekend. We quickly checked his tack. It turns out his bit had been tightened two holes on one side and three holes on the other. We fixed that and he won his next two classes.

Has anyone ever had the feeling there were poltergeists messing with their tack and carts?

It's either poltergeists or there's a somebody out there who's so desperate to win that he/she would sabotage someone else's stuff.

Anyone had experiences with either poltergeists or saboteurs?

(At our next show, we'll be bringing along a nanny cam to watch over our horses and tack. We'll also bring along a friend with psychic powers so strong she can point out any person or poltergeist who messes with our stuff.)

I've never had any such!!!

The worst that ever happened is once I thought my camera got stolen. I found it within 5 minutes though. Harvey or I had just put something over it.

I don't blame you for setting up cameras -- however, if I were in your shoes, I'd have done it before I said I was going to (never know who might be reading).

I don't blame you for setting up cameras -- however, if I were in your shoes, I'd have done it before I said I was going to (never know who might be reading).
I want the people/poltergeists to know we're on the lookout for them.

You're a better woman than me
default_biggrin.png

I'd have "casually mentioned" them saying they'd been hanging around, but surely they wouldn't...
default_biggrin.png

Hope you get it figured out and shame on them!!!
default_no.gif

Yeah, NOT NICE. I'm afraid that I would leave my tack locked up until time to use it and then would not leave the area/horse once it's out. Also may think about stalling the horse (even in your trailer if you have room) and have someone keep an eye on things- even from a distance.

Certainly sounds suspicious to me.......! I have never experienced such a thing, but I agree- SHAME ON THEM!!!
default_no.gif

I have never left my tack out at shows. Things walk away to easy.

But just another idea.........is there any chance you two younger boys might have gotten bored and needed something to do?

I had my wallet stolen at a show in Mass. several years ago (by a fellow exhibitor who fortunately doesn't show anymore). This person waited until the liberty class was going off and pilfered several tack rooms looking for cash and credit cards. About 10 people were victimized.

I also heard about an incident at a show where someone cut ALL the tail and mane hair off of someone's horse.

These are all deplorable acts! I hope people know that we notice things like this quickly at shows! I don't know what measures can be taken, but I would certainly have some words for them!

Shows are supposed to be fun, not a dread to go to because there might be someone there who will do anything to win!
default_no.gif

It is a STRICK rule in the barn that one of the grooms must remain at the stalls at all times. And to be honest we hire security towards the end of large shows as well. Sad but true.........not usually the exhibitors but people coming in off the street that know people go to the ring to watch classes who then make their way into the tack stalls and sitting rooms to find purses and other valuables. Don't leave your stalls without locking up the tack room and then don't be surprised if people climb over the walls to get your stuff either. We also have a room set up for one of the grooms to sleep that is right next to the tack room.

I am so upset to hear this happened. I agree with what Muff said and would like to add that I think we should band together to stop this now!

If I EVER and mean ever see this happen in my presence....god help the evil doer....I kid you not, I may look like I just fell off the turnip truck but just try me and see what I do.

You bet I am mad to read this happened to Mary and Bob's family......I have NEVER met a better more sportsman like and genuinely wonderful caring family as the Sansevere's. They are wonderful people!

These are all deplorable acts! I hope people know that we notice things like this quickly at shows! I don't know what measures can be taken, but I would certainly have some words for them!

Shows are supposed to be fun, not a dread to go to because there might be someone there who will do anything to win!
default_no.gif

I've never had that happen but then I trust almost no one and stuff doesn't get left out or lying around very long--it's packed away/hidden/locked up.

Plus usually there is one of us not too far away from the tack stall at any given moment.

It's nice of you to warn the poltergeist about the camera; personally I would have put up the camera without saying anything to anyone, because if I were in your place there's nothing I'd love more than catching the saboteur in the act!

is there any chance you two younger boys might have gotten bored and needed something to do?
My boys are mischievious -- not devious.

This was done by a person/poltergeist who intentionally wanted to damage my horses' chances of doing well. Also, my boys aren't tall enough to reach up and unzip the harness bag, and they wouldn't know how to let air out of a tire.

There were other things that happened that I didn't mention. I just gave a few examples.

My foster daughter's boyfriend did notice someone hovering near our stalls when he walked back from the arena. Which was several hundred yards away. He doesn't know anyone by name but, at our next show, I'll ask him to look around and see if that person is there. I'm just curious if it's someone with a history of shenanigans.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is sad that others can not be inspired by the hard work and dedication your family has put into doing this. Instead of appreciating that they feel jealous and spiteful.

Sad world we live in.

Well I spoke to someone who knows the rules -- folks if you witness someone messing not only with Bob and Mary's stuff, this includes anyones stuff or horses. You can report it the show management immediately, for that show, if it is reported, they can have their points stripped! This is endangerment of human and horse and will not be tolerated!

Okay that's a short term fix. Once the word gets around, that would pretty much oust that person and anyone related to them, from the show circuit!

I implore anyone that goes to a show and see Bob and Mary's family and stall area to keep an eye on it and report anyone messing with stuff directly to show management and to Bob and Mary.

And then on a personal note, I hope the people that are caught are pressured into leaving the show!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankfullt No I havent had this happen to me.

But at fairs, camps and shows, i always put everything in the car, trailer, or stall and lock it, with a masterlock, when I gone. Always.

Its very sad that someone did this...
default_no.gif

I implore anyone that goes to a show and see Bob and Mary's family and stall area to keep an eye on it and report anyone messing with stuff directly to show management and to Bob and Mary.
And then on a personal note, I hope the people that are caught are pressured into leaving the show!
I will most certainly keep my eyes open - it's sort of just a habit of mine anyway. We stalled down the aisle from Bob and Mary and their adorable kids this past weekend and I didn't see anything/anyone unusual. I do think that, sadly, some people are jealous of others who win and Bob, Mary and the kids were all winning. As they should have; their horses were well turned out and handled superbly.

We've often thought about putting up one or two of our wireless cameras at the shows since we always have our laptops anyway. Maybe it's time to stop thinking about it and actually do it.

The problem with reporting someone who is 'hanging around' or looking at stuff, is that you better SEE them pick something up and walk off with it, or actually do the 'dirty deed'. Otherwise, not only does everyone who happens by become a 'suspect' but if you falsely accuse someone, and they have technically done nothing (they may have even picked a harness up and looked at it, but put it back down) - they have not stolen anything, etc... and I am not sure what grounds they could be 'expelled' for. You must actually commit an act before being reported, not appear like you are GOING to commit one, so keep your eyes and ears open.

I would not have said anything about a camera either and just put one in. We try to make sure all of our stuff is locked up at shows all the time. things disappear, walk off, etc... and at Nationals last year they had several stalls gone through and people's wallets taken. At night, everything is locked up that we don't want taken.

So sorry to hear about these things. Showing should be competative fun, not having to watch your backside every second of the day and worry what someone is going to try to sabatage next.

It's too bad there has to be those people out there who would rather cheat than work hard. If they put as much effort into working with their horses and learning how to show them to their best advantage as they do sneaking around and tampering with others stuff, they wouldn't have to do the sneaking around!

The only thing I ever had happen to me at a show: A friend had a mini stallion at a "self-proclaimed trainer" who only trained the horse to have a nasty attitude. Her philosophy was to show the horse who was boss, be the "boss mare". When she fed him grain, she would turn her rear end towards him and kick backwards with her foot and would not let him eat until he submitted and stood away from the feed (what a flake). :DOH! ANYWAY, the friend removed the stallion as soon as she learned what the "trainer" was doing and I started showing him for her, free of charge, friend helping a friend on the AMHR "circuit". At the Iowa State Fair, I showed him in a driving class and under 2 judges, took first under one judge and second under the other judge. There was another "exhibitor" in the class who also had a first and second. After the class was over, this exhibitor and her husband went around telling everyone that they were going to protest my showing this horse in the amateur classes at Nationals because they saw the horses owner buy me a soda after the driving class at the state fair and that constituted payment for showing the horse which would make me a professional. Can you beleive that!?!?!?!!? And the really dumb part was they actually did it, put up the $50 bucks and filed the protest. Oh, the horses owner did not buy me that soda, I bought it.

Anyone in Iowa wanna guess who the other "exhibitor" was? Remember, this was about 10 or so years ago. HAHAHAHAHA!

Kelly

default_rolleyes.gif
Hey Bob- Ask Michelle Prekker about flat tires at a show about 10 years ago!
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back