Poltergeists at Shows?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite a few years ago at a local show I opened my LOCKED tackroom, and it looked like it had been ransacked. Stuff was laying all over and tipped over, Even the rug on floor (dirt floor) was messed up. Couple of things were missing . . .

THEN as I was walking toward the show office I looked in the stall next door, and there my friend's horse was standing, looking as innocent as he could, as he stood on my rug, with several things - blanket, whip, half a bag of feed, around him. He had pulled the carpet UNDER THE STALL WALL - and helped himself!!

Seriously, there was a cart cover taken at one of our shows this year, and I don't think it was returned that I know of. We were hoping that someone merely picked it up by accident, and it would be returned at the next show.

My daughter keeps leaving stuff around (like her camera!!) and I keep telling her to take care of things but she's used to living in a pretty safe crime free area, and just won't listen.

So there's no confusion: None of the issues I mentioned were related to some person/poltergeist messing with our stuff at the Area IV show. Everyone in Missouri was wonderful to us and I wish we could show more often with the folks at that show.

The issues all go back to the previous weekend's show, when our tack and carts weren't under lock and key.

I debated about even bringing this up on the Forum, but I wanted to get it out. I wanted the person/poltergeist to know that we know. And that we will be much more guarded and eagle-eyed in the future.

We also want others to know to be more acutely aware and not as naive and trusting as we were to leave things in the open.

And, by the way, we know it wasn't a poltergeist. Not this time, anyway.

I implore anyone that goes to a show and see Bob and Mary's family and stall area to keep an eye on it and report anyone messing with stuff directly to show management and to Bob and Mary.
And then on a personal note, I hope the people that are caught are pressured into leaving the show!
I will most certainly keep my eyes open - it's sort of just a habit of mine anyway. We stalled down the aisle from Bob and Mary and their adorable kids this past weekend and I didn't see anything/anyone unusual. I do think that, sadly, some people are jealous of others who win and Bob, Mary and the kids were all winning. As they should have; their horses were well turned out and handled superbly.

We've often thought about putting up one or two of our wireless cameras at the shows since we always have our laptops anyway. Maybe it's time to stop thinking about it and actually do it.
FORGIVE me, but I implied they had to witness a wrong doing, i.e. messing with tack or horses. Common sense means if someone were just standing around or walking by doesn't warrant a report to the Show Staff. Hope this is clear now. THANKS!

Hey Bob- Ask Michelle Prekker about flat tires at a show about 10 years ago!
I remember that! I actually thought of that right away when I read this post.

None of the issues I mentioned were related to some person/poltergeist messing with our stuff at the Area IV show. Everyone in Missouri was wonderful to us and I wish we could show more often with the folks at that show.
The issues all go back to the previous weekend's show, when our tack and carts weren't under lock and key.
I realized after re-reading this portion of an earlier post that it may sound as if I had a problem with that previous week's show. My problem was not with the show. It was a wonderful show in Des Moines that was professionally run and, other than what happened with our tack and cart, a lot of fun for our family. I look forward to attending the show for many years to come.

Show management hired 24-hour security and nothing was stolen from us, just messed with. There were a lot of minis and Ponies and a lot of exhibitors and not every piece of equipment could be expected to be watched over by security. That was my responsibility, a responsibility I will take far more seriously at shows from now on.

I believe it was a single exhibitor who messed with our stuff, a sad, pathetic, sociopathic exhibitor who should work as hard training their horses as they do training their attention on trying to disrupt others.

OK, I'm done venting. Thanks for listening.

No one bothers our stuff, because when I'm in the ring my big bad ol' Lab is locked in my tack stall with his JRT buddy. He's a softy with a gruff bark.... heeheehee

Lucy

Back