Polly (3/23); Teaka (3/23); Buffy (3/16???) @ Flyin' G Farm

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't wait either Anna...these girls must be cooking up "perfection" because them putting off foaling just because is just MEAN! LOL I'll get some more photos tonight when I get home. For now, they are all about the same.

Well there really wasn't much to show last night, so I didn't take any more pictures. Teaka has been laying down A LOT, so needless to say, the pager has been going off A LOT. Last night Polly rubbed on her door so hard that she broke the latch and nearly escaped, but I just happened to be up, watching Teaka sleep flat out LOL, so was able to "fix" it before she escaped. But, being the very smart pony she is, she figured out how to escape anyways a little while ago. I have the best neighbor girl, Lauren, who happens to be on Spring break this week, so Lauren went and caught Polly for me. She really didn't need to be out on lush green grass all day...and Teaka was having a serious tantrum because Polly was out. I did have Lauren swap Teaka/Polly though. Teaka is a bit of a ding bat, so not nearly as likely to be able to escape. Polly would absolutely have tried it again, and probably succeeded. So now it is Buffy top left, Teaka top right, and Polly bottom right.

These girls need to get with it...we are at 346 days for Polly/Teaka, and 353 for Buffy (if she's in fact due right now)...UGH!!!

Buffy and Teaka stuffing their faces, and Polly is standing quietly! Come on ladies....we're waiting !!

Well, tonight both Teaka and Polly are grumpy. Polly is more elongated and just seems agitated. Teaka is about the same bag-wise, but she also just seems very agitated. Buffy is about the same. I did get more photos, although Teaka's didn't turn out well, so I'm just posting Polly and Buffy's. Polly is 1st three and Buffy is the last 3.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looking good! I'm hoping for a busy night tonight! Melinda just had one a few minutes ago, and hoping we'll get a few more over-night!

Polly is sure looking good with a nice udder. A little bit more elongating and maybe she'll decide to show us her baby tonight, too!

Last edited:
I hope so...I'm getting VERY anxious to see these foals!!!

I forgot to also add, both Polly and Teaka have absolutely no muscle tone left to their butts...it's like rescue horse butt!

default_thumbup.gif

Both looking good - dont think you will have to wait much longer!

Well...STILL waiting. I thought there was a chance of Polly foaling last night, she was so agitated and just looked ready...but apparently she doesn't think so. The girls were at least nice and didn't set the pager off all night (TEAKA! LOL) so I was able to get some sleep...yay. Hopefully they won't make me wait too much longer. I may have to bring back bribes...my no threat apparently isn't working and they are clearly more stubborn than I am!

I remembered this morning that I had started out "checking" Buffy's bag by taking pictures. Buffy has always just done her thing when she foaled, so has never really been closely checked, and I didn't get the impression anyone has ever felt her bag. So its something we've been working on with her, but she was NOT very agreeable in the beginning. But I've really been struggling with her trying to decide if she is really 355 days today or if she may be due the end of May and I couldn't remember what her bag felt like a month ago. So after I realized I had pictures from early March, I went back and compared. I'm thinking she is 355...what do you think??? Do you see her being 330 May 27th...that seems a LONG time away for what I'm seeing.

1st picture is early March (I think around March 9th), 2nd picture is 2 days ago.

IMG_14391.JPG

IMG_15251.JPG

I dont think that she would have an udder like that if she wasn't due until the end of March!

I'm glad you agree. It looks huge, but it's by no means full/tight, it's a handful right now but I could see it getting a lot bigger. She's been throwing me for a loop!

Yes, she certainly can't go until the end of May with that beautiful udder! I always figure about 4 weeks from the start of an udder, although 'they' say 4-6 weeks. Most of mine have always been about 4 weeks. So, since it's obvious she started that udder a while ago, I think you're closer than the end of May!

How is she looking in the elongation department? Maybe a picture or two -- one standing behind her looking down her sides and a full side view, both down at her level will give us a better idea!

I agree, I always figure about 4 weeks out they start making an udder as well. I have had a couple make super quick progress and then foal, but in general, it seems like about a month out. And unfortunately, I don't know Buffy's patterns, if any. I will get some pictures of her tonight from the side/back. I haven't noticed any elongating, but because she is not a big fan of the "groping", she definitely tenses up when I lift that tail, so what I'm seeing might not be entirely accurate. We are working on it of course and have made HUGE progress from a month ago, but she's a 16 year old mare who I'm guessing didn't have much of this "checking nonsense" prior to us getting her...she likes doing things on her own! LOL But, I will get more pictures tonight of all of them when I get home. And while her bag looks big, feeling it isn't what you would expect from looking at it...if that makes any sense. It just feels like a small handful...and my hands aren't very big. I do have this picture of her udder from the side, also taken a couple of days ago. This is what I see when I walk up to her. But again, while it look quite big...it doesn't FEEL big.

IMG_15231.JPG

It is entirely possible that she 'creates' a bag and then actually fills it at foaling time??

Looking forward to those pictures.

Well unfortunately, not much new to report. I was sure Polly was going to foal Thursday evening, but no such luck. She has been agitated and laying down a lot in the 8-10pm range, so I'm hoping that is her timeframe. But I'm over her practicing and wish she'd get down to business already! LOL Polly and Teaka are 352 today and Buffy is 359. I spoke with Buffy's owner this weekend and she was able to locate the breeding dates for Buffy's last foal in 2012. She foaled at 370 days! So, if that's the case again this year, we still have a week and a half...UGH. All are pretty much the same progress-wise...so I'm just waiting...not very patiently
default_smile.png

Well you're in good company. Our other 'late' lady is close to 370 days too! I've never seen such lateness in so many ladies at the same time!

Keep us posted!

Back