POLL - AMHR HARDSHIPPING

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you want AMHR to reopen Hardshipping?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

• DONT CARE EITHER WAY

• Total voters

dgrminis

Reaction score
I know alot of people have strong feelings regarding hardshipping but I am really just getting an idea for the number of people that do or do not want it reopened.

Thank you for taking time to Vote!

I feel it should only be open to geldings and for a reasonable price around 100 bucks. However I do feel it should be closed to AMHA registered horses personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care "personally" (all my breeding stock is AMHA/AMHR), but I'd love to see it opened in particular for some of those awesome grade geldings out there
default_yes.gif

It only makes sense since they are already accepting horses that are 34" and under, and ponies.

Ponies were never supposed to have to hardship in. This was passed thru kinda like the hardshipping suddenly closing.
default_wacko.png
Kinda ironic to make the breed that started Miniature horses hardship in.

I absolutely agree that it should be closed to AMHA horses and I wish they had never passed the Falabella rule.

I felt so bad for people that were crossing the hackneys to miniatures to get that beautiful movement and then hardshipping was closed with no notice. IMO that was SO WRONG. I think Mary Lou was one that got caught in that as her mares were already bred and then could not be registered when they were born

Doesn't really matter to me either way, the only unreg. B size mare I had was hardshipped in a year or two before they closed, and you can still get them registered thru the AMHA papers, and pure Falabellas.

Although personally unless it's a Falabella, I look for only double registered horses to purchase.

I am just thinking out loud.

Why would we want to hardship more into the breeding program if prices are low, and a lot keep saying we have too many breeding? Just thinking out loud.

I voted that I didn't care either way. I personally think that hardshipping should have been closed to all but the ASPC registered ponies, since they were never supposed to be barred from AMHR anyway. Once actual hardshipping was discontinued, that should have applied to AMHA horses as well as Falabellas. Since those two registries are still accepted then I would say that hardshipping unregistered horses should be allowed to continue as well.

And to answer Reble's question about why should more be hardshipped in for breeding when there are already too many horses and too many horses used for breeding, I would say firstly that one reason to hardship in a horse for breeding is improvement of the breed--there could be an unregistered cross bred horse/pony (like the hackney/Mini crosses that Kay mentioned above) that could offer some desirable traits...movement, strength of hip, length of leg or whatever...

Another possibility is that someone might want to hardship in a horse, not for breeeding, but for SHOWING.

As I said, it matters not at all to me, whichever way it is. If a horse isn't AMHR registered already, it's unlikely that I would buy it. The exception would be the Shetlands. The one I have is too tall to register AMHR; the one I'm looking at is probably too tall, but if he did fit in I would register him, just so that I could show him as a Mini (since there are now ASPC shows anywhere near here)

I absolutely agree that it should be closed to AMHA horses and I wish they had never passed the Falabella rule.
I don't understand this comment. If, as many people say, this is JUST a height breed, then why forbid AMHA horses?
I'd rather see Shetlands barred from hardshipping in. Either they are a Shetland or a Miniature. They should either stay Shetland, or lose their Shetland papers and show as miniatures.

Ruffian the reason I say that is if we are going to be truly a closed registry then be one!! To me it was ironic that hardshipping was "closed" and then a couple years later it was open for Falabellas and stayed open to AMHA horses. Just makes no sense.

If you read back thru the years again Shetlands were never supposed to have to pay a hardship fee. Lewella can explain it much better then I can.

I think what many forget is that ASPC was the first and the oldest BREED registry. And that AMHR was the FIRST registry for miniature horses. We all know that miniatures were Shetland ponies. Thats a fact that cannot be disputed. So why would you deny them AMHR papers if they meet the height requirement??

It comes down to ASPC is a breed and AMHR is a height registry. If AMHA really does close hardshipping then I do think AMHR will follow suit and close it to AMHA but im just guessing

Most people that come here cannot even tell which ones are ASPC/AMHR or AMHA/AMHR or AMHR

I dont understand why anyone would want to ban an ASPC/AMHR from showing AMHR? If you dont prefer them thats fine!! But why would you care if they show AMHR??

You all know well I have not been in amhr that long, only the last couple off years I under stand where the rule came from but I wish it was not there because I like to show amhr I went to one amha show and swore I would never go to another one. My chose any way I bought my first shetland and I think she might be in foel it would be nice if the foel stayed under 38 to be able to show it the stud was not reg so what I think if you got a great stud it will be an even better gelding. any the rule will never change cuz once the broard make there mind up there aint no changeing it

Bob

Personally, I think there are plenty of horses out there that there is no need for hardshipping... even geldings. YES I know geldings should be shown, but I would rather see breeders/owners GELD the registered colts that we already have then just bring in grade ones to hardship.

If you can hardship, there is less "value" to having papers. The reason we have papers is to 1. Document pedigree so you can see what quality of lines the horse has behind it 2. Document important information of background such as height and show records 3. Increase the desirability/saleability/value of the registered horse because there is "proof" of ancestry.

There is plenty you can do with a grade pony... but perhaps they just need to duck out of the gene pool. Is it such a ginormous loss?

Andrea

Mary Lou, is there room on that soap box for me, also?

I feel very much the same.

Liz

Ok I have a question on hardshipping as I am new to the Minis. I recently Purchased a Mini/shetland cross filly who is tiny age 1 yr and barely 30" so now i can't hardship her AMHR when she turns 5 if she stays under 38" is this what i am reading. I know she can be Registered as a NSP but it is for performace horses only and not a breeding registry. Is this my correct understanding about the studbook closing the hardship part of the registry.

I probably would agree with Disneyhorse If I didnt have a well accomplished Grade(yes) show colt. Who went almost undeafeated against many many AMHR horses thats 13 shows 10 out of 13 he won out of a class larger then 6.

I wish AMHR had hardshipping for the boys
default_sad.png
But oh well 2013 or 2012 he will be amha/amhr
default_smile.png
Im willing to wait.

BUT

I feel bad for the horses born after AMHAcloses they may breed a gorgoeus horse that cant be registered
default_no.gif

What is going on now with the registry makes no sense at all. Close it to Hardshipping including Shetlands and AMHA and Fallabella or open it to all. If Miniature Horses are to be a breed stopping ALL hardshipping is the only way. Leaving it open to shetlands only makes sense if the plan is to turn it into the miniature shetland registry (which seems to be happening anyway!) but not if it is to be the AMHR.

I wish it were still open as I have a amazing grade gelding. He's gorgeous, well conformed but cannot be hardshipped AMHA as he is to tall. I'd love to show him at AMHR shows as I think he would do well in the driving disciplines as well as halter. I would have hardshipped him before but only found out about after they had already closed the books.

racing fan the age to hardship in AMHR is 3. As of right now hard shipping shetlands and AMHA horses (and falabellas) is not closed. But your filly has to have shetland papers so she can hardship in. Is she registered?

Mary Lou who told you AMHR was going to vote on that?

I'm not against the truly taller horses now being allowed in AMHA. I currently only have one "B" horse and he's my favorite horse -- my BTU son, my golden palomino show gelding, Little Kings BTU Bacardi Gold.

However, it just makes me have a crooked smile reflecting about how much of a crush AMHA must have had going on for the Over division to now pretend they are 34" or less! My B is a big boy but so upright and nice. Who knows, he may hardship into AMHA given the new rules
default_rolleyes.gif

If Miniature Horses are to be a breed stopping ALL hardshipping is the only way. Leaving it open to shetlands only makes sense if the plan is to turn it into the miniature shetland registry (which seems to be happening anyway!) but not if it is to be the AMHR.

Stormy - I totally agree!! If it is ever to become a breed, then all hardshipping in all registrys must be stopped. If that's not the intention, then open it to everybody.

If you have an outstanding Shetland, that's only 34" tall, then change the SHETLAND rules and make another height catergory. Don't put them into the miniature breed.

If I am not mistaken, I believe that all the equines (ponies horses whatever) that were registered with AMHA and AMHR when they started the registrys had their other papers destroyed because this was to be a true new breed.

23 years ago I had the very first ever miniature horse show in Michigan. We had over 100 horses, under 34", and not one of them had papers then. If we had true miniatures back then, why do we need to infuse shetland or hackneys in the breed now?

Mary Lou - if that's true, and AMHR is going to vote on measuring at the withers, I say 'bout time! Let's get with the rest of the equine world.

Latest posts

Back