POLL - AMHR HARDSHIPPING

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you want AMHR to reopen Hardshipping?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

• DONT CARE EITHER WAY

• Total voters
Those that say they want the breed to be a real breed, with the registry closed do realize that means that horses that go oversize have to be allowed to keep their papers, right? They remain as registered horses and can be used for breeding, though they aren't allowed to show.
My point exactly
default_yes.gif

You are right. There is a difference is Pure Bred and Full Blood. High enough percentages can get you Full Blood statis in some livestock breeds.

I haven't figured out what it should be for me. I'm thinking three generations back - Top and Bottom - registered with either outfit. Maybe it should be more. What do you think? Renee

Last edited by a moderator:
Voted NO!!

I want the AMERICAN MINIATURE HORSE to be a breed not a height registy! When I first got Minis I thought they were a BREED, who knew it was a dumping ground for anything that measured under an arbitrarily set height - not saying that is what it is now though, but there is no denying how and why Minis came about nor the motivation for creating them! Then to find that the 'height' is flexible if you can teach your horse to stretch like a rocking horse or do a swan dive dip of the back.

Who thought that up measuring where no other BREED is measured - give me a break!!! The same people that have oversized stock out in a field? AMHA needs to address that 'issue' seriously!

I don't deny and never have that the Shetland is the basis for our Minis - I know my Mini's pedigrees and most are not to far removed from ASPC registered stock, but I don't feel adding Shetland blood back now is making a better Mini, it's making a Mini Shetland. If that is what ASPC originally wanted they should have stuck with that name and just had it become a division of the ASPC height categories. There are plenty of gorgeous Mini's out there! If there weren't the genetics pool would be so inbred as to be impossible to use, but yet we all are adding 'new blood' and playing mixologist crossing the different lines from exisiting registered Minis!

I know that totally offends the double registered horses (meaning the ASPC/AMHR) and I'm sorry for that, but honestly pick a registry! I think Shetlands are absolutely gorgeous animals, but I want to breed MINIS not Shetlands!

I don't breed dogs but I would assume a 'small' Standard poodle could never be registered as a Toy or Teacup! So why do we allow it?

HI Michelle

So good to see you!!

What I keep coming back to is if you dont want to add ASPC blood back into your herd then dont!! No one says anyone has to breed ASPC/AMHR horses or AMHA/ASPC/AMHR horses. But why does anyone care if I do? Thats really is what boggles my mind.

I'm still wondering....how come some people will yip about how Miniature horses have a distinct type, but then they won't answer my question about what exactly does that distinct Miniature horse type look like????
Ive been thinking that to.In my opinion the miniature horse doesnt have a type. We have many many many types of minis, partially why its still a height breed. If you think of other breeds, you dont see the variety of type
default_no.gif

Here we go again on the type thing, there are three "types" designated by the Shetland registry for shetlands, Foundation, Classic, Modern. In addition there are draft and europeon types that do not have a specific designation. In Quarter horses there are pleasure type, racing type, foundation type, and halter type just to name a few. In arabs Polish, Crabbet, Egyptian, Russian, all with a type.....are miniatures the only breed that is going to be required to have one type?! All breeds have many "types" within the registry.

It is time to become a breed, close the registry to all.

And Kay Kay I do not care if you breed small shetlands, but they should stay in the shetland registry...they are shetlands, why is everyone so ashamed of showing/breeding small Shetlands? As I stated before if I want to raise miniature Paso Finos should I be able to register them as Miniatures too?? If you can cross register Shetlands I should be able to cross register Pasos, after all some foundation Miniatures came from the spanish Fallabella breeding!

hi Stormy

What you and many others keep failing to understand is that there have been AMHA/AMHR/ASPC horses FOREVER. They are not new. A lot of these horses are not hardshipped they were born with AMHR papers. Just like your AMHA horses were born into that registry. My stallion is a good example of that. He was born with ASPC/AMHR papers. So why should I only be limited to showing him ASPC? Makes no sense. I think there are a lot more AMHA/ASPC/AMHR horses out there then people realize.

Again I and others are not ashamed of anything. Dont know why that keeps being said. Im proud to show mine in any ring be it ASPC or AMHR. I know many people have shown their ASPC/AMHR horses in both registries as is their right to do so. And they have won in both registries.

Also there is one more division and that is Modern Pleasure
default_smile.png

I personally do not care for Falabella's. So I dont buy them. But I would never say they shouldnt be able to show against me as long as they have the registration papers and meet the height.

As I stated before if I want to raise miniature Paso Finos should I be able to register them as Miniatures too?? If you can cross register Shetlands I should be able to cross register Pasos, after all some foundation Miniatures came from the spanish Fallabella breeding!

The obvious answer to that question is YES and if you can get them to be in height not only should you be able to register or cross register as you call it Paso's and to be honest I think had you been able to do it they would have been VERY popular.

To blame anything I have not winning in the ring on ASPC/AMHR horses would be plain silly. I can not see the horses papers as it walks into the show ring. If the complaint is that you feel the ASPC/R horses have a distinct type well then they are surely ahead of those mini breeders who have not been able to stamp in the same thing.

Personally I don't feel you can see the type and with anything in any breed things improve, change and move forward when it comes to winning in the show ring so it simply comes down to playing or not .

Perhaps those who say that the people who show their AMHR/ASPC horses in just AMHR only and not ASPC are ashamed too are the ones that are scared.
default_rolleyes.gif

IMO these smaller shetlands are helping to improve the breed, if you don't like it fine, don't get into it. I don't breed for AMHR/ASPC horses anyways but I can see how beautiful they are. I am hoping to hardship in my ASPC gelding into AMHR once he turns 5, if he doesn't thats fine, he looks like a shetland and he can compete against shetlands even if he's small.

Stormy ,

I have not said anything else thus far but i do not think you quite understand what we are saying
default_wacko.png
. I think its time to be a bit open minded and set your pride aside
default_biggrin.png

I think allot of this "anger" ...or dislike, whatever you wish to call it, has to do with the fact that the AMHR/ASPC horses are the ones WINNING in the ring (for he most part, look at natonals ...its obvious) and if you want to compete you are going to have to step up your program and horses. The breed will continue to change and improve step after step, your just going to have to learn to go with the flow. That is just my honest opinion.

Honestly, i am not sweating it ...i know the AMHR/ASPC horses are not going away
default_biggrin.png
. You just have to relize that to and the AMHR/ASPC horses are just going to keep getting better.

AND i know of plenty (plenty!) amhr/aspc ponies that go to congress, then the next month are right there at nationals as well. I would say most show in both divisions but there are some amhr/aspc ponies that would do better in ASPC then AMHR and vice versa. I am FAR from ashamed of my ponies!!! I only have on AMHR/ASPC broodmare, rest are AMHR or ASPC reg separate. Why? Because i like my shetlands taller and my minis are from the BTU line (for the most part), the line i prefer. Far from ashamed of my shetlands!

I also do not care for falabellas or appys (there are a few i just love though, Catch
default_wub.png
),,,should they not be aloud in the reg. since they are appys and there is a large horse appy registry as well? No.

Bumping this up again..

Thanks for all the great response so far
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back