Politics...President...war???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetOpal

Reaction score
I have been watching the threads with the Presidents and democrats vs republicans. I see alot of feelings about the war and soldiers dying, and PLEASE don't think that I don't have complete compasion for the families that loose thier loved one to the war! My father has fought in the last 2 wars, he is home safe now but was in Iraq for 18 months. He has decided its time to retire from the military after 40 YEARS of dedication to the US Military and people of the UNITED STATES of AMERICA. My father and rest of my side of the family is democratic. My husband and myself and his family are Republican. My husband came from a communist country and recieved citizenship in the USA in 1984. He came from a country that made every person the age of 18 join thier military, after serving they would then have the priveledge to go to college, no the government did not pay for college. It was not an option, not something they got paid to do, not something they would then have medical benefits for....

I have read on several threads about the soldiers loosing thier life and dying, however we do not live in a country that forces them to join the military. These men and women have chosen to join knowing full well that the military goes to war, or I should say has the possibility of going to war, yes they do receive benefits and no I do not think they are enough for the risk they take to join. Nor do I think the retirement or any other benefits are high enough. But it is a choice they make, has it helped people have a better life, I would imagine so, or I should say I hope so.

My parents and my views are very different and there are times that we just can not discuss politics, but one thing we both agree on whether we are democrats or republican is that OUR military is a CHOICE, not something we are forced into at this time. Again these are just my feelings and wondering how others see it?? Not meant to get everyone and thier hate started for a president.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Jennifer! It is so touchy because people have lost their lives. My son's father was in the service. We were married the day before Reagan was shot. He was placed on alert and had to return to post ending our honeymoon. But there was no bad feelings about it. He signed up to protect and he was ready to do that. It was his job.

Out of respect for those that asked I have not posted on the thread for Obama. I have read it though!! Back in the Kennedy era it wasn't all peaches and cream. Kennedy was the one who had the speech with the famous words "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." We were at war (Vietnam). JFK was assasinated as well as Martin Luther King and then Bobbie Kennedy all in the 60's. There were bombing raids, free love and drugs a plenty. And the draft. Kennedy had an affair with Marilyn Monroe and was thought to have ties to the mob. But he is still loved today.

I do realize that we are all compassionate about the candidate that we want to be president. I am so greatful that we live in a country where we do not have to worry about persecution and can voice our opinions. I am proud to be an american. I always have been. I have lived in another country. Was greatful to come home!! I am proud of my president. I am proud he listened when americans cried out for justice when close to 3000 people died because of terrorists. I remember what I was doing that day. I remember how I felt when I found out someone I met died that day. My president listened, reacted and took charge. I was proud then as I am today. My thoughts might not be popular to some but they are my true feelings. I was told by someone I know yesterday that voicing political views could result in not selling horses because people might not agree with my views. I can't wrap my mind around that because I do not believe people are that way. I can't!

Very well said!
default_wink.png

Excellent answer OHP.

I have a grandson (who we raised) in the Marines. He left for bootcamp on his 18th birthday. He has been in the reserves (at our request) for four years but informed me about two weeks ago he has requested to be put on active duty. He will become active on Oct 15th. His sister was in the Air Force. She is out now and married to a Captian in the AF. He is a pilot and flies C130's. Another grandson was at West Point but decided Army life wasn't for him so he quit after three years. Another grandson was in the 82nd Airborne and a Ranger. He was in Iraq when it started.

Do I want harm to come to any of them or anyone else for that matter of course not. Do I support our president and our military you bet I do and I'm proud of it! When our enemies see weakness they will do whatever they can to attack us as they have in the past.

Absolutely joining the Armed forces is a choice, and those that join but then complain about using a weapon, well their elevator doesnt go all the way up LOL. I think that some of the recent problems are stemming from the Stop Loss campaign. You sign up for x amount of years, but then they say nope, you cant leave, even though you honored your contract , we decided to not honor our side. Another problem is the Nat'l Guards. These soldiers had debts of a certain amount and civilian jobs to cover that amount. Then get called for duty and get paid less and loose whatever they had. That one is a loose-loose thing, just bad all the way around

I do agree that our men join the armed forces mostly on their own will and they know they are doing something great for our country. What bothers me is our men being sent off to a war that isn't about protecting our country...that is the only reason our men should be in a war...for protecting our country. This war has not been about getting rid of the worst bad guy it has been about protecting the rich oil men, from my prerspective. There are many men /women who have died in vain and there are many who are so severely injured they will never be the same. I do not like hearing how men/women who have been in this war are not being treated well after making many sacrifices. Just because they join the Armed Forces does not mean they should have to sacrife their lives without a good cause. I also believe that when those recuitors promise so very much, if they enlist for duty, those promises should be upheld. Precious lives have been lost un necessarily and that does bother me. JMHO

All Excellent points!!

My father was very fortunate when he was called to duty on both tours that he was actually paid his same wages from his State Job at home and paid the same amount as he is an officer while at duty. My parents were able to actually pay off all thier credit cards, now I reallize he has been in 40 years his pay scale is much higher than say a just recruited enlistee (if that is what they are called)

SweetOpal and Buckskin Gal, I couldn't agree with either of you more.

I too remember how I felt the morning of the 9/11 attacks, however, I felt even more upset when I found out that we were going to war with Iraq (Saddam Hussain), instead of Al Quada (Bin Laden), when they are the ones who claimed responsibility. I fully believe that Bush used the terrorist attacks as an excuse to finish what his father started in Desert Storm.

I feel bad for those who have lost their lives for an avoidable cause, but then with living near two military bases, I realize that it was the career that these people chose for themselves (same as police or firefighters). I'm just sad that instead of protecting this country, they are all dying to protect this country's interests in other places.

Sweet Opal, OHP, and all
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Having a father that served in Vietnam (volunteered and then received his draft notice a week later!) and having a brother in law and several long time friends in the military, I (as well as they) believe they are fighting a just fight. For those who don't agree with Bush's actions, do you remember the days following 9/11? Do you remember the people in those countries rejoicing over the thousands who've died? Do you remember the terror we all faced every single day for what seemed like years? Do you remember the stack? Do you remember the faces of the rescuers at Ground Zero? Do you remember the faces of the families and friends searching for their loved ones who didn't come home? Do you remember the stories of the heros who saved others before themselves? Do you remember? Iraq might not have been the center of those behind 9/11 but it was part of the problem. We can not repeat Vietnam, we must finish this for the entire world, not just our country.

Bush did the right thing. Anything less wouldn't have been the answer.

Do you remember that the Hijackers were Saudis and Turks and NOT ONE was Iraqi? Do you remember that it was Bin Laden and Al Queda behind this and NOT Iraq?

Bush wanted to finish his daddies war, but his daddy was smarter and knew that invading into Baghdad had no exit strategy. Jr told us that Hussein was building weapons of mass destruction and that our next 9/11 would be a mushroom cloud, from Hussein. Lots of nukes found there. Going after Bin Laden was the right thing to do, invading Iraq was not. Dont shoot the neighbor on the left for what the neighbor on the right did.

Well said Sweet opal
default_saludando.gif
My husband of almost 40 years spent the first year of our marriage in Vietnam. We married on Jan. 16 and he left on Jan.24. And that was his 3rd. voluntary enlistment. I am proud to be an American with the freedoms that gives. Our son was one of the first into Bosnia in that mess so I fully understand the worries and heartaches of having someone away and in harms way. God Bless America

Love and Blessings

Cheryl

Pepi-that's pretty much it.

I am all for supporting the troops, but I happen to believe part of that support entails pulling them out of a country we have no business end and ending a portion of a war we can never win, and either bringing them home or moving them somewhere we CAN use them. Imagine if most of the troops we have in Iraq now had been searching for bin Laden this whole time instead!

Latest posts

Back