Poison Ivy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamlandnh

Reaction score
Any one know of any home remedies to help stop the spreading? My son got it bad, head, arms, chest and a bit lower. He had the shot on Monday with no help and now on pretizone (spelled wrong). Any idea what more I can do for him...he has been using one of the gel rubs on it.

Karen

Yikes, poison ivy is a pain! Not sure of a way to keep it from spreading.

However, you could try jewelweed to help it get better faster. I think should be growing nicely in our area by now. (I should go check that, actually...) If you find some (here's a link with photos in case you're not sure what it looks like) just cut open a section of stem and dab the juice on.

I would try it on a less-sensitive spot first, just in case of a reaction, but I have pretty sensitive skin and it never bothered me. Works like a charm on nettle stings, too.

Good luck! Hope your son feels better soon.

Lori

If he got into it that long ago, it isn't still spreading. The new spots you are seeing are places where he got so little of it, it's taking til now to show a reaction. Does that make sense?

Your son has my sympathy. I'm one of those people that break out if they just look at the stuff. My husband is immune to poison ivy, doesn't break out no matter what he does with it. Then I get an outbreak from handling his clothes in the laundry!

One thing that may help with the itching, believe it or not, is ice. When a spot itches, instead of scratching, rub the area with an ice cube. At first, you feel like "Why am I doing this?" Keep it up, and after about 20 seconds, the itch stops!

Aveeno products are all very effective on even the worst cases. They have soap, creams, lotions etc. that can be purchased at your drug store. Gives instant relief.

Comfrey is the old cure for many things, freshly picked and boiled then mashed, the water makes a healing elixir to put on his body.

Since he's on the meds--they should kick in soon, but Calamine lotion helps a lot! I'm not sure that's spelled right--it's the pink stuff.

I had it head to toe when I was nursing--so I wouldn't take anything for it. But I spent many days covered in the pink stuff. The next time I got it--horse was covered in it--I took the pills.

When my kids had the chicken pox--the Aveeno oatmeal bath stuff worked wonders for them--but as soon as they stepped out of the tub the itching was back.

So--stick him iin a tub with Aveeno, then smother Calamine all over him when he gets out?
default_unsure.png

Good luck!

I ordered some of the Jewelweed salve and it does help. I get it if the cats or horses get in it
default_wink.png
When he gets over this round ask your Dr. about the shots to prevent it. They help a lot or they have me anyway. Now I have to get it on me instead of just getting close. It was a series of three shots I think.

Technu, you rub it on as soon as you think you have it, let it sit then rinse off... It really helps it NOT spread...

Latest posts

Back