Poison ivy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

Marsha Cassada

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
8,979
Reaction score
6,485
Location
Southwest Oklahoma
Well, I have a raging case of poison ivy. I suspect I got it from my horses, but we have been all over the area they graze and have not found any plants. Someone gave me a homeopathic product to try; it is actually made from poison ivy. Two days later I broke out in more spots, so I gave that up. Last night there was another spot. I've tried to cover myself when grooming the horses, so I don't think I'm getting it from them. I have some cortizone ointment, and taking antihistamines. I look like one of those gruesome pictures in those medical books. Any miracle cures out there?
 

LostandFound

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2019
Messages
204
Reaction score
322
Location
Pennsylvania
I've always heard you are more likely to get it from your dogs or cats running through it than the horses. If it gets on them, or your hands you can get the oil on door handles or anything else you touch (like the brush you groom the horses with) and it can stay active for a while. So every time you touch the door or brush you get some on you again. Either way, once you have it you have to ride it out. I have seen people rub it with bleach to "dry it up" and they swear by it. I'm not that brave.
 

Taz

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 3, 2017
Messages
1,381
Reaction score
2,586
Location
Canada
Poor you! My grandmother swore but bleach. She would actually open the blisters and then pour in on. Said it cleared it right up but I can only imagine how much that would hurt. I've never had it and don't think I would be able to do that. Maybe something stronger from your doctor?
 

Minimor

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
8,658
Reaction score
1,005
Location
Brandon Manitoba
Do you have a hot tub?
Just asking because I once knew someone who was convinced he had poison ivy he'd encountered on a golf course. It was a horrible case of poison ivy, nothing worked and it just kept spreading. After a very long period of time his doctor figured out that it was not poison ivy--it was a reaction from having the pH levels wrong in his hot tub.

If you cannot figure out where you had contact (might it be in your hay?) Then do look at any other possible irritants you may have been in contact with.
 

Abby P

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2020
Messages
435
Reaction score
1,176
Location
New England
On the chlorine note, I used to get poison ivy terribly as a child and did find that swimming in a chlorine pool would dry it right out. Not sure I'd pour on straight bleach but diluted maybe? Or you could try Windex, a la My Big Fat Greek Wedding. ;)

I'm honestly not sure whether the chlorine pool would actually help the rash itself or whether just being in the water for so long would simply wash off any residual oil and stop the reaction that way. It could be on your outerwear (boots, etc.) as well as on your animals.

Once our neighbor was burning brush and I walked in the smoke, it was poison ivy burning and I had to be injected with Benadryl. Had it up my nose, in my throat, eyes swollen shut - the Benadryl made me so stupid I had trouble finding the kitchen when I got hungry. Once I did find the kitchen I couldn't figure out where the food was and ended up sitting under the piano. But weirdly, I never seemed as sensitive to poison ivy again after that, although that was hardly a homeopathic dose! Not really a recommended cure tho...I can, however, sympathize.
 

LostandFound

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2019
Messages
204
Reaction score
322
Location
Pennsylvania
That's probably my biggest fear in life, to suddenly become allergic to horses. Although having an allergic reaction to common medications is not a lot of fun either. I hope it's the easy answer!
 
Joined
Apr 8, 2020
Messages
634
Reaction score
986
Location
Kingsley, Michigan
I seem to randomly get a lovely case of hay mites once in a while. Doesn't seem to affect the horses, just me. It looks terrible, like hives, poison ivy, etc. They are microscopic and I don't feel the bites, but about an hour after contact I have red spots everywhere! It looks awful and even when I am very careful and cinch up pant and arm openings tight, I still get them. Little buggers get in my boots and go from there. My hay provider has never heard of them until I showed him. I have heard it's from hay that's sat around a bit.
 

MaryFlora

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2020
Messages
286
Reaction score
711
Location
Minnesota
You must have been absolutely miserable, and I hope your doctor was able to help you with something fast acting!
 

Marsha Cassada

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
8,979
Reaction score
6,485
Location
Southwest Oklahoma
Miserable indeed. I also thought of something else besides advil that could have caused it. I gave up chocolate for a couple of weeks while managing my weight. Started eating it again, and I wish I could remember what day that was. Could I be developing an allergic reaction to chocolate??!! Anyway, I will give it up again, just in case. A favorite snack is a handful of dark chocolate morsels an a handful of peanuts. Nice flavor combo, when savored slowly.
Since it isn't the horses, I spent an hour this morning with the air compressor, brushes and clippers. It was like being sand blasted using the air compressor. I was covered with dirt from head to foot. But the horses look pretty good now!
I feel better when I'm keeping busy and moving around.
 

Minimor

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
8,658
Reaction score
1,005
Location
Brandon Manitoba
If you are getting hives from advice you will probably want to avoid the other NSAIDS as well--aleve and Voltaren for example. I had a rash one time from Aleve. Took it again another time because it worked so well (and a rash isn't so bad, really)...that time I ended up in the doctor's office with an anaphylactic reaction. My BP crashed--it was pretty bad. I was lucky I got to the clinic before the worst hit. Got a shot of epi, went home and suffered for a few days with swollen, painful joints (histamine from the allergic response triggers inflammation which caused all my joints to swell). Allergic reaction is nothing to take lightly !

I am now allergic to horse hair but not excessively so. As long as I am careful with brushing them and such I don't have much reaction--nothing life threatening.
 

Marsha Cassada

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
8,979
Reaction score
6,485
Location
Southwest Oklahoma
If you are getting hives from advice you will probably want to avoid the other NSAIDS as well--aleve and Voltaren for example. I had a rash one time from Aleve. Took it again another time because it worked so well (and a rash isn't so bad, really)...that time I ended up in the doctor's office with an anaphylactic reaction. My BP crashed--it was pretty bad. I was lucky I got to the clinic before the worst hit. Got a shot of epi, went home and suffered for a few days with swollen, painful joints (histamine from the allergic response triggers inflammation which caused all my joints to swell). Allergic reaction is nothing to take lightly !

I am now allergic to horse hair but not excessively so. As long as I am careful with brushing them and such I don't have much reaction--nothing life threatening.
Yes. All nsaids are out for now. I think I have been lucky not to have an anaphylactic reaction. My bp was 110/60 yesterday, which seems rather low. But it didn't cause any concern. Definitely avoiding all cameras at the moment, though.
So far, Canadian Mist isn't on the list of possible culprits!
 

Latest posts

Top