Poison Ivy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srpwildrose

Reaction score
I got it bad!
default_sad.png
Went to the Dr a couple days ago. Got a cortisone inj, zertec pills,and some creme.

All those things dont seem to be doing any good. :arg!

The blisters are spreading. Legs, arms, some on my face and ears now.

I have been wearing long sleeves, long pants to bed to keep from spreading, to no avail
default_no.gif

I was hoping for some good ole home remedies.....
default_please.gif

Thanks in advance.....

oatmeal baths are good.. the oatmeal will dry them out... My son had it so bad in May they would not keep him at school.. Was told to do the oatmeal baths and make it strong and let him soak in it.. You can also make a paste out of it and put in on the places that you have it...

Hope this helps...

On a side note when the blister pops the stuff that is in the blisters gets on other places on the body will break out too..

Diane

While not a home remedy, you might try "Sarna" lotion, its an anti-itch lotion (among other things) and the only thing that works for me for bug bites and other dry or itchy skin issues. You should be able to find it at a drug store.

I have a pretty good allergy to poison ivy, look at it and voila, I have it
default_smile.png
Colloidal oatmeal baths are great. I have found that benedryl type ointments,pills or lotions are quite bad. There is a poison ivy wash/scrub that is fabulous!! It is a white squeeze bottle with green and black writing, I tell you that because I cannot for the life of me recall its name. Got it at wal mart for about $18. It is an ol wives tale that scratching can spread it. It cannot, absolutely positively cannot. I back that up with my own history. If it were true the scratchee would then have it on their hands and fingers. It can take different times for the rash to show, guess its because you may have more or less of the oil of poison ivy on the skin. However, if you say had it on the back of your legs, and sat down before you realized you have it, then whatever you sat on could have that oil. So wash in hot water anything that you even remotely think came into contact with the oil, clothes, gloves etc. Having had it in my nasal cavity ( neighbor burned it) all the way down to my toes, ohhhh I can SO say that I feel your pain!! Hope you get relief.

Last edited by a moderator:
THIS IS NOT HOME REMEDIE, BUT FAIRLY CHEEP AND WORKS. NU-STOCK I GET IT AT THE FEED STORE, GOOD FOR A MULTITUDE OF PROBLEMS. WE HAD RINGWORM LAST YEAR CLEANED UP IN A COUPLE OF DAYS. HUSBAND HAD POISON IVY GONE,RAINROT ALL SORTS OF PROBLEMS. MINE WAS ABOUT 11.00 FOR A LARGE TUBE. GOOOD LUCK.

Okay, you are going to think I am nuts but I am also very allergic to poison ivy,poison oak, and sumac. If you will scrub the rash with blue Dawn dish detergent, it will dry it up by removing the oil in it. It will also make your skin really dry but whatever you do, don't put any lotion for dry skin on it.

You can also wash your hands often with Dawn anytime you are working around it and it will help prevent you from getting it. What causes you to break out is the oil in the plant and the Dawn breaks it up and gets rid of it.

I have been pulling up poison ivy all over my yard but I stop every 10 minutes or so and scrub my hands and arms and so far have only had one little bitty patch about the size of a quarter on one arm. The dish detergent wash cleared it up overnight.

I hope you get better soon, that stuff is miserable!

I get it at least once a year and yes it does spread. Once, I had it on my arm and woke up with it on my forehead because I had my arm across my forehead while I was sleeping. First, if you know you got into it take a COOL bath. NOT HOT. Then use the OTC scrub you can buy at walmart (forget the name of it). Then when I get out of the bath/shower, I wipe hydrogen peroxide over the blisters to help dry them up. Don't reuse the same wash clothes and towels either. Good luck!

I feel your pain!
gaah.gif
I agree ... do not put any regular anti-itch type lotions on the rash. It contributes to the oil and just feeds the problem. I learned the hard way.

I had good results with Caladryl Clear topical analgesic lotion which I purchased at the drug store.. It has drying action and itch relief. It was the only thing that helped me. It still took a few days to completely clear up but the relief was dramatic. Good Luck!

Oatmeal baths. soak.. for the minor cases.

Honestly, don't shoot me but a bad case of poison ivy... I go to doctor- get a course of steroids. Poison ivy is gone fast. A few cases of treating myself and getting a secondary bacterial infection... naaahhhh not worth waiting, I don't home treat the bad blistered stuff, only the small few blister cases. My daughter is so allergic she swells so bad you can't recognize her. She gets the steroid liquid. It helps. the infection and scarring is much worse than the steroid. A friend of mine tried to tuff it out with a bad case and she got a blood infection and ended up in the hospital. The cool thing about getting a steroid for the poison ivy is that the blisters go away practically overnight.

PS, you don't have to cover up, the blisters do not spread poison ivy on your body and you cannot give it to anybody else. Only the plant can spread poison ivy, uncover and get some air to those blisters. You can get it from the clothes you were wearing when you were exposed... or from touching anything that has the plant oil on it.

I never found the cortizone shot to work... I prefer dexamethasone tablets taken in incrementally reducing doses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it wasn't poison ivy. It was poison oak and I was about 5 or 6 years old. We went camping and friends of my fathers starts cutting this brush to make the fire, roast the hot dogs and yes even the marshmallows. We all got poison oak inside and out. We were a sick bunch. It seemed to cure me of ever getting it again. I have sat in it. picked it. I can't get it at all. However, my father, all you had to do was say poison oak and he would get it. I really think all we used was calamine lotion. My parents were not big on going to the DR.

Latest posts

Back