Please welcome our new addition.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KAYO

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We would like to introduce our new colt. His dam is Rosemill's Dancing Rumor and his sire is Shiloh's Alfs Legacy. When I checked Rumor last night around 1 a.m. I noticed that her hindend looked more relaxed, but her bag was not quite as full as I thought it should be. I thought she'd wait a couple of days. When I went to feed this morning I found a gruella (sp) colt. He was up, pretty much dry and eating. I feel so bad...he wasn't foaled in the nice warm foaling stall. Rumor was in the barn and in a stall by herself, but it's an open stall that other horses can see into!
default_laugh.png
So we got him blanketed and into the right stall. He's very, very tiny, has the dorsal stripe, and dark markings on his shoulders. Please any of you that have input on his color let us know what you think!! Still thinking of names....Sarah likes Rosemill's Sonofapreacherman, or Rosemills' Holyroller!! (please no offence anyone!) I'm sorry the pictures are sooo BIG, I'm kind of challenged in the posting area!!
default_wacko.png
I'll welcome any suggestions!!

HPIM0887.JPG

HPIM0883.JPG

HPIM0884.JPG
default_wub.png

th_HPIM0872.jpg

oops way small! :DOH!

Last edited by a moderator:
He is adorable and I think he is Grullo (male version of the color). We had a grulla (female version of the color) filly born last week and colors are very similar!!!

Congratulations on him -- he is precious!!! For color compare, here's our grulla girl:

Passion%20040708%20018%20Foals.jpg

BTW, I love duns of any color but did not always know how to pronouce Grulla / Grullo. I think the right way is "grew-ya" and "grew-yo"... however when I think it in my mind, it still sounds like Grewlo and Grewla
default_smile.png
To be grullo/grulla or any kind of dun, one parent must also be dun.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]Too Cute
default_wub.png
The first picture I was thinking "such a kissy face " then I saw the one of you kissing him ! I had to laugh
default_biggrin.png
[/SIZE]

Congratulations, he's a beauty
default_aktion033.gif

Joy

He is adorable and I think he is Grullo (male version of the color). We had a grulla (female version of the color) filly born last week and colors are very similar!!!

Congratulations on him -- he is precious!!! For color compare, here's our grulla girl:

Passion%20040708%20018%20Foals.jpg

BTW, I love duns of any color but did not always know how to pronouce Grulla / Grullo. I think the right way is "grew-ya" and "grew-yo"... however when I think it in my mind, it still sounds like Grewlo and Grewla
default_smile.png
To be grullo/grulla or any kind of dun, one parent must also be dun.
HI Jill,

this is sarah I was just reading the post on our new little boy, and noticed you said one parent has to be a dun???
default_unsure.png

His sir is all black, and his dam is a Seal brown but his dams mother is a buckskin????

let me know what you think.
default_laugh.png

default_wub.png
We let him out for a little bit yesterday afternoon- he is so Little and really cute!!

very small head and tiny ears

Sarah~

Hi, Sarah --

Yes, in order to be truly dun (or grulla / grullo), the foal has to have at least one dun parent. It's not uncommon for foals to have counter shading that "looks" like a dun dorsal stripe, and some may even keep it all their lives, but in order to have dun factor, it must come from at least one dun parent.

Here is a link that explains it better than I can: http://www.equinecolor.com/dun.html

Jill

Latest posts

Back