Please show me your show barns

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBennettp

Reaction score
As several of you know, I am adding on to my barn. I know that several of you have stated that you have your horses up in the show barn and was wondering if you would please post some pictures so maybe I could get some ideas.

So, Erica, Sheryl, Linda, and some of the rest of you, would you please?

Thanks,

Mary

I will have to try to remember to find pictures, but my "show barn" is a simple barn. We have two barns, we have my dads down on the other side of the pasture/drylot where he has his riding horse, i have a few mares that use part of the barn as a run in, and i have a few boys down there too. Then up in my barn is where i keep the show horses (and this winter, when i set up marestare cams for the broodmares, the broodmares will be moved up here one at a time for that) which is pretty simple polebarn with 6 stalls connected to the drylot, then i have the roundpen up here too. Im in and out so much during the day, its just easier to keep all the "show horses" in one separate barn and so they have their own area.

Now, in a few years i am hoping to buy some larger horse propperty ..im looking right now but dont plan on moving anything for about 2 or 3 years, but i would like to buy a larger place with more land sometime down the road ...our barns are nothing fancy, just simple polebarns but they serve the purpose
default_smile.png

I got my new barn finished in Feb of '07 and posted the following. I have been in the barn for a year and a half now and love it.

This is a photo from across my driving track. Each stall has a back door out to a 12' x 20' outside run. The fencing is 5' no climb with double fencing in between where I might put stallions.

Barn%20074a.jpg

This is a view down the center isle from the front of the barn. The entire flooring of the barn is cement with rubber matts in each stall and the grooming area. Stalls are 12' x 12' with a 16' raised center isle. There are 8 stalls with the front right stall open in the front for grooming, tack and feed. There is a back door to each stall with a fenced area outside. I also have a fenced area outside the grooming stall in case I want to put a horse out there.

Raised center isles are important here because of our high heat in the summer. We do often have a breeze here and the barn is set so it would normally go in the front and out the back and sides. The center isle is 16'. I was told had I put in a 12' isle I would have later wished I had put in a wider one. There is plenty of room to move around in there. The floor was stamped to give it some character.

I had skylights put over each stall and continuing over the raised center isle. It sure makes it bright inside with no lights on.

Barn%20086a.jpg

Each stall has a feeder door from the center isle and a feeder inside in the corner.

Barn%20069a.jpg

This is a view from the center isle through a feeder door. Although they were meant for placing feed in the stalls without going in they are great for minis to see out. Say hello to HHH's Redi or Not.

Barn%20079a.jpg

Although not really a part of the barn, here is my guest seating area. I bought it at a dog show and had the top back slot changed from a dog to a horse cutout. The cutout is of Miss Kentucky.

Barn%20073a.jpg

I still have to have power brought out to the barn. Hopefully, I will get that done someday. With skylights and it staying light until abut 7:30 pm these days I'm ok with power. I also have cordless clippers.

What would I have done differently, well for one I would have hired a different/better cement contractor. I am getting used to it and try to remind myself that it is a barn. The quality and construction of the barn is the best done by Royal Stall of Sanger, CA.

I don't have a show barn but just wanted to say that Neil you have a beautiful barn!

Wow, I wish!

Unfortunately, I am building this myself and can't do cement. I did however put skylights in the last 3 stalls that I built and wish I had done it throughout the barn.

Thanks for the photos, your barn is awesome!

Heres our barn. It has 3 big horse size stalls, 2 pony size stalls and a tack room. this fall we are hoping to make a clipping room

barnnew-332x240.jpg

Neil: Adopt me.

Somebody define "show barn"

I never could figure that one out. Does that mean the barn where only show horses are allowed, like a special barn just for them? Or an especially fancy barn? When people say a horse is up in the show barn, what does that mean in terms of facility? I have neither but here's my barn, not fancy but servicable:

Mary you might get some ideas on my Farm Tour page.

barnwebpic.png

Here's the little barn: 2 12 X 12 stalls in here

April08Barnpics003.jpg

and the new hay barn will look similar so we can finally tear down the eyesore sheds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Marty a show barn is for show horses. You wouldnt find broodmare that only need pasture in a show barn usually, just the horses who need to be worked and trained frequently for show.
default_smile.png
Usually a little more fancy but it doesnt have to be.

OOOHHH I LOVE your middle aisle bricks
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
It has always been my dream to have a barn with cobble stone
default_yes.gif

I got my new barn finished in Feb of '07 and posted the following. I have been in the barn for a year and a half now and love it.

This is a photo from across my driving track. Each stall has a back door out to a 12' x 20' outside run. The fencing is 5' no climb with double fencing in between where I might put stallions.

Barn%20074a.jpg

This is a view down the center isle from the front of the barn. The entire flooring of the barn is cement with rubber matts in each stall and the grooming area. Stalls are 12' x 12' with a 16' raised center isle. There are 8 stalls with the front right stall open in the front for grooming, tack and feed. There is a back door to each stall with a fenced area outside. I also have a fenced area outside the grooming stall in case I want to put a horse out there.

Raised center isles are important here because of our high heat in the summer. We do often have a breeze here and the barn is set so it would normally go in the front and out the back and sides. The center isle is 16'. I was told had I put in a 12' isle I would have later wished I had put in a wider one. There is plenty of room to move around in there. The floor was stamped to give it some character.

I had skylights put over each stall and continuing over the raised center isle. It sure makes it bright inside with no lights on.

Barn%20086a.jpg

Each stall has a feeder door from the center isle and a feeder inside in the corner.

Barn%20069a.jpg

This is a view from the center isle through a feeder door. Although they were meant for placing feed in the stalls without going in they are great for minis to see out. Say hello to HHH's Redi or Not.

Barn%20079a.jpg

Although not really a part of the barn, here is my guest seating area. I bought it at a dog show and had the top back slot changed from a dog to a horse cutout. The cutout is of Miss Kentucky.

Barn%20073a.jpg

I still have to have power brought out to the barn. Hopefully, I will get that done someday. With skylights and it staying light until abut 7:30 pm these days I'm ok with power. I also have cordless clippers.

What would I have done differently, well for one I would have hired a different/better cement contractor. I am getting used to it and try to remind myself that it is a barn. The quality and construction of the barn is the best done by Royal Stall of Sanger, CA.

I misunderstood LOL. Mine is not a "show barn" but there are show horses in it. Along with foals, mares, stallions. I just feel very blessed to have a barn. I have wondered though like marty when people say "show barn" what that means. Would love to see all of them as I hear a lot of people use that term

Neil that barn is awesome!

Please everyone show us your barns. Barns to keep show horses in or not. Any barn. One great pastime of mine on trips is to look thru old barns. New ones too!!!

Neil love that barn of yours!!!
default_wub.png
My property is too just small to fit one like that.

Kay, yours would fit and I LOVE IT!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Marty, you know I love that barn!! Only if you and Jerry would come and build it for me. Oh, one other thing. [SIZE=14pt]"THE TIM MAN" [/SIZE] has to come toooooo!!!!! Gotta love Timmy!!!

Gini

Come on Mary, for the "up in the show barn" people, spill....what do you mean?

Maybe do you mean a "show barn" is a barn that has a special place to clip and a bathing stall, farrier stall etc??? Oh and a toilet. I have none of that. Bathing is done outside on the wash rack, clipping done in the isleway, and if you have to pee, pick a stall.........toilet paper in the tack room!
default_biggrin.png

Neil, give me that bench, please.

I need it.
default_yes.gif

Basically when i say "i have horses up in the SHOW barn", its means i have horses that i am showing, i am not saying my barn could grow wings and fly away or launch space shuttles off the roof ...my barn is a simple pole barn but its my barn where i keep the SHOW horses and it has a relaxing feel to it since i spend so much time there, its a nice calm relaxed place. Now this fall its going to be where the mares foal out as its closer to the house, and my fathers barn is way way on the other side of the propperty below the pasture and drylot. A show barn imo when i say is just a barn. I have it set up to accomply clipping, bathing, all the different feeds in the feed room that i need and its close enough to the house i can be in and out during the day to pamper and cader to the horses i am showing. Thats it.

I guess what I was wanting to know was if there was something different about the barn that your show horses are in as compared to your regular barn. I often see it posted that the horses are up in the show barn.

Mary

I take it to mean they are "up" in stalls a good part of the time, wearing sweats, out of the sun, maybe special feed, being pulled out of the stalls to work, etc... Just like the saying you put someone up for the night means you gave someone a place to sleep / took care of them.

Some large farms have the luxary of having a "show" barn and another barn. My show barn is my barn, period. But its set up for someone who does need the advantage of being able to clip and wash horses anytime during the year. My barn closes completely and is about 15 degrees warmer in the winter than it is outside. Its also about 10 degrees cooler in the summer. I have a wash stall that is elevated above the rest of the floor with a drain out the back of it, it also has hot and cold water. There are lights in the wash stall so Samantha can clip any time she needs too. We have a small indoor arena with ties all around the wall so horses can be tied in the dirt should they start pawing. The rest of the floor is concret. I have six 10 x 12 stalls and one 12 x 12 stall. There is enough lights that I can work horses at night if I need to or go out early in the morning for feeding. Its perfect, you would have thought I planned it myself but the best part is, I bought it already set up this way. And yes, my apartment is in front of the barn, its attached.

Here are a few pictures of the barn inside and out.

farm.jpg
inside.jpg

fromthedoor.jpg

indoorpen.jpg

More barn pictures please.... Due to the weather in the desert we have run ins for my guys. They would absolutely melt in a barn out here. I love to see what other people have so I can make notes for my other life....
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Hmm...

I have a place to clip and wash my show horses, complete with plenty of places to tie them as they can dry; it drains very well, it's easily lit at night, and it has a nicely sized area for longing them...

I guess I have a SHOW DRIVEWAY!

I have a barn....
default_smile.png
I love my barn. It's my sanctuary.
default_yes.gif

From the front. The door to the far right is the horse part. The middle door is called the "bunny" door--because right inside are...well, you figured that out.
default_rolleyes.gif

The two small pastures up front are now all panels instead--hog or goat ones--nice small holes. The horses did a number on the welded wire fence.
default_rolleyes.gif

barn.jpg

From one side:

barnpic.jpg

The other side--

barnshot--slidingdoorthatsclosedeve.jpg

Looking inside that sliding door.

Stalls.jpg

Inside. The mares are on the far right. Jazz is there on the left. The fillies get to roam around inside all night--I secure their stall door open, close the sliding door and they get to chat and groom with the mares. There are five stalls--but I can easily accomodate 7 horses. I love the set up--perfect for weaning, too.
default_yes.gif

barninsidewithflash-2.jpg

insidebarn-2.jpg

One of the mare's stalls--Gypsy. Right now they are 7.5' x 11' and 8' by 11', but we're extended them back another 55" to make it more comfortable when foals are around.

Gypsyinstall-1.jpg

I love my barn.
default_yes.gif

[SIZE=12pt]Wow gorgeous barns everyone![/SIZE]

Karla, i have never seen a cuter barn then yours
default_biggrin.png

could be the horses though too...
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back