PLEASE share opinions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capall beag

Reaction score
York Beach, Maine originally from Ireland!
I would like to get opinions because I feel caught in the middle.

I bought 2 horses from a lady and paid for them in full. I arranged transport for them. We had an approximate date for PU but no specific day. I had given the hauler the sellers name and number and asked that they give her notice of their planned day of PU. I told the hauler she worked during the week and would need to make arrangements to take a day off work.

The hauler arrived unannounced. The hauler was apologeticabout this and said he had made better time than expected. The lady's husband was there. The seller refused to allow the horses to leave. She felt they "were not ready to go". I stated at the time to let them go as is because I could not afford to loose the money. The hauler said I would loose the money if he had made the trip in vain.

The seller was adamant that the hroses could not leave.

The hauler left very irritated.

He was going to charge an additional fee to go and pick them up.

It became very complicated and who was responsible for this fee came into Q.

The sale has been cancelled for this reason.

The hauler had offerd to give me a credit but now seems out out by the whole thing and may not??

I am out a lot of money over this and I had nothing to do with it??

This seems totally unfair to me!

Input or experiences similar and their outcome would be appreciated!!

the only thing i can think of is the seller didnt have the health papers ready to go. but that is odd because normally that stuff is done ahead when you know you are selling a horse. I feel so bad for you!!! What a mess. I do think it was very unprofessional of the hauler to show up without giving the seller notice.

I myself would NEVER do that. I think it is very rude. She knew they were going to be leaving, so why didn't she get them "ready" before hand. I also don't think it was the shippers fault. I think the horses owner shoudl pay those shippers! JMO

It's never happened to me, but has happened to a lot here.

The hauler started the problem by showing up unexpectedly.

It should be on him.

Why oh why do so many haulers not keep in touch like they should is beyond me.

I would like to know why the lady insisted they horses were not ready. What did she mean by that anyway? She must have had some serious reasons for not allowing them to go. What were they? Did she return your money?

I have no idea why you should be left holding the bag here on this. That's plain wrong. I'd blame the hauler for causing the trouble here.

[SIZE=14pt]While I do agree that the shipper should have given a call from the road saying that they were running ahead of schedule, I feel that the seller was out of line not allowing the paid in full horses to leave. Because of that and the fact that the sale had to be cancelled I feel that the seller should be responsible for the bill. You certainly are not responsible for the fact that she did no release the horses! With shipping fees the way they are now she should have been willing to bend over backwards to get the PAID for horses on that trailer.[/SIZE]

Lyn

The hauler was sorry but said when hauling horses it is very hard to stay on schedule!

The seller had the coggins and the health records were at the vet BUT the hauler said he would take them w/o the helath papers, he said the risk would fall on him and he was willing to take the risk in order to follow threw with getting the horses to me as promised.

The seller claimed the horses were "dirty and needed a trim", the hauler said this was NOT a reason to refuse to let them ship! I was called and said I just wanted him to take the horses "as is" because I could NOT afford to loose the money but the seller refused. She had said she would pay the difference but I think she feels it is the haulers fault and he blames her for a complete wasted trip and a lose of income. I can see both sides and neither one is willing to give BUT I am totally stuck in the middle. Both parties are nice people just cannot see eye to eye on this and I am the one with no horse and a hauling bill!!!!!!!!!!
no.gif

i bought my filly & she is over 3 hours away & her seller is bringing her 2 me at the end of the month, with 3 show halters & a barn halter & leadshank free of charge!!! sellers r usallly very friendly & willing, y is this one not?

did you buy babys/ weanlings?

desiree

capall beag said:
The hauler was sorry but said when hauling horses it is very hard to stay on schedule! The seller had the coggins and the health records were at the vet BUT the hauler said he would take them w/o the helath papers, he said the risk would fall on him and he was willing to take the risk in order to follow threw with getting the horses to me as promised.

The seller claimed the horses were "dirty and needed a trim", the hauler said this was NOT a reason to refuse to let them ship! I was called and said I just wanted him to take the horses "as is" because I could NOT afford to loose the money but the seller refused. She had said she would pay the difference but I think she feels it is the haulers fault and he blames her for a complete wasted trip and a lose of income. I can see both sides and neither one is willing to give BUT I am totally stuck in the middle. Both parties are nice people just cannot see eye to eye on this and I am the one with no horse and a hauling bill!!!!!!!!!!
no.gif

418335[/snapback]

WOULDN'T LET A HORSE GO BECAUSE IT NEEDED A BATH!!! I could understand if it were a health issue, but this seems totally unreasonable. It seems to me that both seller and transporter are at fault here.

it is impossible for a hauler to stay on a exact schedule.. a client like this one here who he had to argue with for a bit (even if the horses had loaded on) would have put him behind, another one who says nope i wont wake up early you can only deliver after 9 am.. or a horse that wont load or traffic - or a cancellation-there are many reasons and i know on both ends being pick up and delivery i have to be pretty patient and expect things to not go exactly as planned -

I am willing to give up my time as long as i know my horse is being taken care of on the road that is the most important to me.

my question would be did the hauler give them a guesstimate date before he showed up? you said he was ahead of time does that mean he said to the pick up i will be there say on friday and he showed up late wed or something like that? how early was he?

NO matter what he was early or late .. in the horse selling business part of it is dealing with transport and understanding that there are so many things that come into play they are rarely there exactly on time- the horses should have been put on the trailer period- the health papers could have been faxed to the driver along the way.

the driver should not be responsible to eat the charges although to take responsiblity and if they agree they didnt communicate time at all with the pick up they should ask for only a portion of it and that should come from the seller IMO

[SIZE=14pt]That is no excuse not to send the horse. I would demand that the seller pay the hauling bill and PLEASE TELL ME SHE REFUNDED YOUR MONEY!!!!![/SIZE]

Lyn

As crazy as this sounds that is why I pick up horses I purchase on my own no matter what state they are in. I live in PA and have gone clear out to KS to pick up a horse.

Just my humble inexperienced opinion here but I think you will be glad you didnt take those horses. Its like they say, things happen for a reason and I would bet the horses arent that well taken care of. That is not to say they have been neglected but.... they were sold, paid cash for, and she knew they were to be picked up. They should have been trimmed, and washed and ready to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a hauler show up earlier then expect. Mind you I wasnt even home but did have somebody there to let them know what horse it was. I did the best I could to get him cleaned in time(90% white horse). I felt really bad about him going not so clean, but I would never refuse to send a horse just because of that reason.

The hauler was sorry but said when hauling horses it is very hard to stay on schedule!

Very true and understandable. But he should have still kept all parties abreast of his whereabouts and just not shown up out of the blue. I would have been more than ticked off if he arrived days early. I am wondering if we are talking about just being "off" a few hours or was he early by a few days? That would be the deciding factor here. Lisa is right and we should be flexable and understanding about the schedules if it is within reason. I would certainly have been flexable knowing a transport is on route. But not days in advance.

The seller had the coggins and the health records were at the vet BUT the hauler said he would take them w/o the helath papers, he said the risk would fall on him and he was willing to take the risk in order to follow threw with getting the horses to me as promised.

No, that is not smart either. By not having the health papers with him, this could cause your horses to be held over at any weigh station and detained in isolation for no telling how long. Unprofessional. Not good for the horses at all.

The seller claimed the horses were "dirty and needed a trim", the hauler said this was NOT a reason to refuse to let them ship!

YES AND NO!

I wouldn't like my horses to leave here without being cleaned up and trimmed up because I prefer to have my horses looking presentable as often as I can. I have had horses delivered here to me in the past that were disgustingly dirty and filthy with lice and dried up poop and knots in their manes and tails and not even a bridle path clipped. Bad customer service.

However in a case such as this, I agree that the clean up could have been postponed and the horses should have been loaded if everything else was in order.

OK something like this did sorta happen to me ten years ago when moving up here.

This is my story:

We came up here two weeks in advance to close on our house and move in, leaving our 4 quarter horses and 1 pony behind us in Florida. This would give us some for Jerry to get up some fenceing, (there was none) and also build a structure of some sort as there was no barn.

The horses were to join us two weeks later.

They were back home being well cared for by my friends. The date was set on what time and day the horses would be transported. My friends would have them ready: legs wrapped, stable sheets on , bumpers on heads, and also would have all my tack and buckets, feeders, etc. ready for loading with coggins and health certificates. It should have gone like clockwork.

ONLY FOUR DAYS after we left we were still staying at a hotel in town when a sherriff knocked on our hotel door at 2:OO AM saying that there was a rig in town with our horses and the driver wanted to unload them and leave.

WHAT??????

Yes he decided to come early and we were not even in our new place, there was no fencing no barn and no nothing. Here we were in the middle of the night with no place to put our horses.

The sheriff knew of "a place" we could board them but we had to wait until 6:00 in the morning to call the guy and then find the place. Meanwhile the driver had unloaded the horses in town for us to stand there and hold on lead ropes, for hours in the parking lot because he wanted to get back home and oh, he charged my husband an additional $220. because he said his first quote didn't cover it well enough.

The driver also came another way he thought would save time coming over Signal Mountain instead of staying on the interstate, which is one of the most dangerous roads. We wanted to strangle him.

The horses were tired, cold, and very upset and freaked out. So were we. My Kate was also injured and limping in her hind quarters. She has fresh wounds which told me she had been banged around in that trailer a lot.

The boarding place man came and picked up the horses by 7:00 am and thank goodness it was an okay place and things worked out. Katie had coliced and also had to be treated for injuries.

There was also no legs wrapped, no sheets and none of my stuff was on the trailer either. The halters on my horses were not even mine. My friends at the barn had no idea he was coming in advance like this and had no way of reaching me as I had no number yet or no home, (I was calling them daily though to check on stuff) and he refused to let them get my horses ready and just took them right out of the field and left.

Thinking back now, if I had it to do over again, I would have not let Jerry pay him another dime, should have sued him for vet bills and popped him a good one in the eye.

That's what happened to us.

Latest posts

Back