Please send prayers for my mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniforFaith

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first sorry if I babble as I am still a mess. I had our vet out today for routine vacc/check up. That was around 1:00 today. At 7;00 this evening my mare was down shaking severly/ almost in shock.. She had a severe reaction to her vacc. I managed to get her in her stall and lay with her till the vet got here.. She had a very high heart rate, high temp and very lethargic. He worked on her a while, and she has gotten slighlty better, but not much..
default_no.gif
I am so scared and worked up for her..Please, Please pray for my Lucy to come threw this. After still having issues with my druggie sister, I was already a basket case.(Spent 4 hrs in the hosp in a severe panic attack, and I feel one coming again)..

Here's my Lucy:

IMG_0143.jpg

I will pray for your little mare and hope she gets through this..Just stay calm and be there for her.You must take care of yourself as well. We are here for you..Take care...

Keeping you both in my thoughts and my prayers.

We had a serious reaction to vaccines in Baylee several years ago - vet was back & treated him, and we kept a close eye, -- he was fine, but I have been very careful about vaccines since then and don't give more than 2 different types at any one time.

Stacy

I can feel your fear and anxiety.......

Would it be possible to share what vaccine(s) were given and the manufacturer? If the vet administered, he would know.

It may be the vaccine combination OR it may have been the "binder" that the manufacturer uses that your mare is reacting to.

For the first problem, a half dose of banamine often helps. For the second problem it's like treating an allergy or a bee sting, which can be relieved with epinephrine or an antihistamine. Your vet should know.....

I can feel your fear and anxiety.......

Would it be possible to share what vaccine(s) were given and the manufacturer? If the vet administered, he would know.

It may be the vaccine combination OR it may have been the "binder" that the manufacturer uses that your mare is reacting to.

For the first problem, a half dose of banamine often helps. For the second problem it's like treating an allergy or a bee sting, which can be relieved with epinephrine or an antihistamine. Your vet should know.....
Sorry, as of my state of mind I can not remember the vacc, but I do know Rabbies, but he does not think it was that.. I will find out and post when I do/ remember..

Hoping for good news on your mare this morning. Take care of yourself too.

Barbie

I lived your fear a while back and it was the rabies vaccine. Hope she feels better today, took my girls a few days.

Wishing you good things for your and yours.

Try to stay calm and know that many are thinking about you and praying good things for your little horse.

I had some react to a 5-way that we gave them this spring. A couple of them were worse than others; some not at all. The worst one was Alladdin (Stacy, that really made me think when you said Baylee had a bad reaction!!! I wonder if vaccine sensitivity is inheritable???). He spent several days with a very swollen neck, he didn't want to lift his head much, he was very shaky and depressed.

It seems nearly all of my minis are so hard to give shots to. All of my big horses just stand there like nothing happened at all, in fact I don't even halter them! But the minis know what is coming and they react quite poorly to it. A couple are like the big horses and stand, but some are downright "violently opposed" to the practice! Alladdin is definitely one of the latter, he HATES shots of any kind and lets it be known, for sure. That is why we tried the 5-way, but that is the last time we will go that route.

"We also had a gelding a few years ago who had a terrible reaction to shots he had a 4 way and rabies the same day and vet was sure the rabies was to blame. The next year we made two visits one for the 4 ways and another for rabies all by itself and he made out much better. The meds given for the reaction were similar to those given people who have allergies to meds. He was sick for a couple of days but did rally and is fine now but gets his shots even in his new home one at a time

How is little Lucy doing today? Adding my prayers and good thoughts for her to get better, and soon! Are YOU ok?

Just wanted to do a update: SO glad to say she is coming around.. I slept in the barn with her all night. Today, she is still somewhat depressed, but she is eating and drinking.. The vet did say that her reaction was the worse he has seen in 15 yrs.. Thank you all for your prayers and kind words. It really means alot to me and Lucy..And Thank you the Lord above for listening to everyone and helped my Lucy.. When she gets feeling better I will post newer pic's of her.. Thanks again everyone
default_wub.png
:love

Latest posts

Back