Please post your pics of bucksin babies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryHaven

Reaction score
With a current issue regarding the color of my new filly, I'd greatly appreciate seeing pics once again of the buckskin babies born to you guys, most especially the ones that did in fact grow up, or are growing up) to become true buckskin (dark mane/tail) not silver buckskins.

Thank you all so much in advance.

Just to clarify this: I would appreciate seeing the newborn foal pics of these horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a picture of Khaki (Triple H Buckin Khaki) as a foal. She grow up to be a true buckskin with black as night points. She's just one or two days old here:

Khaki%20baby.jpg

Then this is Suprize (Erica's Oh What A Surprise) as a newborn. She grew up to be a buckskin pinto dun (no silver):

ericasohwhatasurprise.jpg

Jill, I really apprecate you showing those pics. What beauties. LOL. Answered some questions for me too.

Here is Finnigan from 2 years ago. He is now a very pretty sooty buckskin with pangre (sp?)

Pre-Clip, 1 month old.........

60689july4left.JPG

Post-Clip, 2 months old..........

60841hbodyclip.JPG

Here is a picture of Magic Mist All Revved Up at birth:
fs_rev1_f.jpg

and then a few weeks later, his color had become a very light "buttermilk buckskin" color:

fs_rev3_f.jpg

Now he is back to a golden buckskin, with the black points, though he does have "frosting" at the base of his mane.

Those are all the pics I have online of the buckskin foals I've had.

I take it that you are wondering about a foal, if it is a buckskin or a silver buckskin?

Thank you Charmed, and Magic.

Yes, Magic, I am wondering about the color of a foal recently posted on here. Here's are two not great pics of her at 2 days old.

Shocker1.jpg

shockandmom.jpg

Wondering silver or not because although she's so light in the mane/tail area, neither black based parents appear to be silver.

Ok, I see. Now, I've not had a LOT of buckskin foals born here, but to me that filly doesn't look buckskin at all (unless she really is silver buckskin I guess.) Is it possible that she is a sorrel? I once had a sorrel colt out of a buckskin mare and a blue roan stallion, it was quite startling, but of course each of them must have carried the red gene, and each passed it on in that case.

how old is the filly now, and what does she look like?

For reference, here is my silver buckskin colt (out of a silver-carrying chestnut w/flaxen mare and by a buckskin (NO silver) stallion):

gettingup.jpg

upfromnap.jpg

This colt's half brother (different sire, a black w/dilute gene (smoky black)) is a silver black so I know the dam carries the silver gene. I suspected his silver gene when I saw how "smoky" his mane looked, more like a wisp of smoke than black, and though I wavered as he shed, this most recent clip really confirms it.

Your foal does appear silver buckskin at first, but if both parents are indeed free of silver (have pics), I would guess there is no way that could happen.

Good luck!!!

Liz

Minutes after being born:

EASTERCOLT013.jpg

Same colt, at a few days.

5-1-06021.jpg

Two fillies from the same mare(mare is cremello)

Nov2520.jpg

75b5f701.jpg

Thanks everybody. Liz, could be, but really doesn't look sorrel to me. I've had a few of those born. It's possible either of the parent's could be carrying red, even though they themselves are black based in color. So that's not out of the question... however, I've NEVER had a sorrel born with black, gray, or smoke in their manes/tails. I've had them born with red manes/tails, or flaxen. Has anyone else ever had a sorrel born with a smokey mane, or flaxen with smoke/gray coloring????

do you have any pics of ur foal... i would be very glad to see buckskins. i love that colour... its one of my favourites.
default_yes.gif
:

Thank you Charmed, and Magic.

Yes, Magic, I am wondering about the color of a foal recently posted on here. Here's are two not great pics of her at 2 days old.

Shocker1.jpg

shockandmom.jpg

Wondering silver or not because although she's so light in the mane/tail area, neither black based parents appear to be silver.
I know you asked about buckskin, but here is a picture of the color change in my bay stallion (he was registered as red dun as his dark points didn't show well then). [buckskin is afterall just bay with one cream.]

Dakota as a foal:

duncolt04b.jpg

Here's Dakota just a week or so ago (now 2 years old):

dakota%20-%20july%2014,%202006%20-%204.jpg

His mane and tail are black and his legs are a dark chocolate to almost black.

Here is pics of CeCee before clip and after clip..............she is such a beautiful
default_wub.png
: buckskin filly.

She was glad to get that fuzzy itchy hair off. :aktion033:

113_1336.jpg

113_1394.jpg

She is a beautiful filly, Susan. Thanks for posting.

And wow, Chanda, that light mane and tail really turned black. THAT was something I was hoping to see. Boy that little guy really turned into a deep bay too. That kind of surprises me seeing as he was so creamy looking as a young'un. He's lovely though. That really helped a lot. Maybe I'm just worrying a little too hard, a little too soon.

Here is my buckskin filly born May 1st. '06. She is just a little doll and definitely a keeper.

I LOVE Jill's mare Khaki so I did ask if she minded if I used the Khaki name-

"Mystic Khaki Kisses"

P5020005.jpg

And here is Khaki Kisses with her Mother, Tequila! Actually Tequila is a dun and Khaki also has the dun factors - so does that make her a dun/buckskin?? Anyway that is what I put on her reg. papers, so will see how they come back.

P5020024.jpg

This is my buckskin pinto filly at about a month old. I need to take new pictures of her now as she is a yearling but she is a true buckskin with a black mane and tail.

Ravenwood Medalions Hearts On Fire

karen004009.jpg

And wow, Chanda, that light mane and tail really turned black. THAT was something I was hoping to see. Boy that little guy really turned into a deep bay too. That kind of surprises me seeing as he was so creamy looking as a young'un. He's lovely though. That really helped a lot. Maybe I'm just worrying a little too hard, a little too soon.
Both his parents are buckskin and I was kind of hoping he might be dark buckskin, so I had him DNA color tested. He came out Ee (carries one black, one red), AA (homozygous for agouti/bay) and no cream. So, unless there is another modifier in his genes; he's bay. Someone commented that they thought he looked "wild bay", which have shorter leg markings; I don't know.

Chandab - I've had foals born that look just like your filly. They had that smokey/light gray colored mane and tail and they ended up being silver bays. If you think she's a buckskin have her tested for the creme gene. Then you will know for sure.
default_yes.gif
:

Chandab - I've had foals born that look just like your filly. They had that smokey/light gray colored mane and tail and they ended up being silver bays. If you think she's a buckskin have her tested for the creme gene. Then you will know for sure.
default_yes.gif
:
I posted several days ago, on another thread, about my filly; she has been tested she's silver bay (EE,Aa, no cream).

I posted pics of my stallion here for his color change in bay.

Here's a filly out of my Iowa's Little Kernel daughter, Greta, Donna has Greta now, I hope she gets another just like this beautiful girl --

Khaiki6-15-1.jpg

and here's another teeny, tiny little girl out of my precious Snow White ----

KhaikiiRose45-2-06.jpg

I love the buckskin coloring too.

Latest posts

Back