Please let me defend ourselves....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robin - I am glad you came on here to set the record straight.

I've been in this business a long time, and I must say that a very positive thing to happen to the industry is the internet.

But I also believe that the internet is absolutely the WORST things to happen to the industry as well....particularly "open" forums....not intending to slam the well intentions of this and many other forums that exist out there related to the miniature horse industry. But people are able to post things while often times hidden behind a vale of secret identities. They post things as if they were fact, when in fact they are rumor, slander, innuendo. But the reader doesn't know the true facts and a cloud is forever in the reader's mind. I have often seen slanderous postings on here where the rebuttals degenerate to the low level of the gutter snipe that posted the original message.

But Robin - you posted your defense with honor and dignity, and those of us who are proud to own descendents of Buckeroo thank you!!

I am so glad that Robin and Mom were able to come here and defend themselves in a professional and ADULT manner.

I for one read and saw all the ugliness. It took all I had to stay away and just troll this board. I was not there for this Oktoberfest so I could not say anything about what happened other than what my family told me.. My kids had to come first this time.

Her response was to let everyone "that has a brain" know we ARE HERE FOR EVERYONE, ESPECIALLY the small breeder or enthusiast, USE THAT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE. We see the wheel attempted to be reinvented all the time, either in farm promotion or breeding and genetics. Use what we know that works or doesnt, dont be afraid to ask, you will be most certainly suprised as to the response from any of us. If any of you really know us, you know we are trying new and different things all the time, in promotion and breeding.

My sister and mother have their thoughts and ideas, I have mine as well. We sometimes might be similar, slightly different or down right disagee.... however we never disagree on what is the best for the long term future success of this breed...... And what should or needs to be done for the betterment of this breed ............(for those who know me-- I mean height registry ;)))

So needless to say, the Oktoberfest is done in a specific way, if any of you were to sit down and say to yourselves, I have a "few hundred " horses and some I need to SELL to get the overhead down, not because they are bad horses, you are in a BUSINESS, running a business, and dealing with costs, profits, losses, TAXES etc etc, if that doesnt sink in, then you will not be in this long, or any animal breed, horses, dogs, cows or CATS!

The easiest way is a low cost sale to transfer LKF loss of profit and gain of less overhead to a buyer that is MORE THAN WILLING TO GET A DEAL. SIMPLE SIMPLE SIMPLE business strategy done all the time in other industries. Just dont use this as a barometer of the ENTIRE industry. I dont go to a furniture outlet mall to get a deal on high end furniture and then go to a high end furniture dealer and expect the same price.......... geesh use some common sense... ooh I see that is hard to find nowadays isnt it.

Mom just happens to be doing this in the same place with no hoopla or prettiness. SAVES MONEY...... and whala you get EVEN BETTER PRICES.... The only difference is that you are buying something that IS WORTH MORE THAN A COUPLE HUNDRED BUCKS, and you can use that to help you make YOUR program better. Once a year deals that you SHOULD take advantage of, not belittle as a "oh look how bad the market and industry is in when LKF needs to let go horses for a 100 bucks"

I also am still selling horses for VERY HIGH END prices (5 figures), it just is not mainly here in the US. It is in THE REST OF THE WORLD. And if you think the US has the majority of the buyers and money, you have a lot more to learn about international markets and trends in the HORSE industry (not MINI HORSE). This is WHY the Oktoberfest is NOT ON THE INTERNET. I am having to deal with international buyers that would rather take a chance on a $100 horse in a sale online than buy a horse for $5000-10,000 from me with everything in order, guarantees etc. Is this starting to make sense? We are KILLING OUR OWN MARKET by using the internet for our convenience and "wanting to see in my home" attitude. AND THE WORLD IS TAKING ADVANTAGE OF OUR OWN LAZINESS AND GREED (along with our tanking dollar!! .....and thats all I have to say about that!)

So say what you will about the "big farm" and all its problems. All I have to say is if there werent still a few "big farms" in this industry right now, you wouldnt have "an industry" ....... and all of your "good" horses would have a hard time bringing any high "market value" since "the market" is based on industry trends.............And where does the "trends" come from????........ The big farms and what they are doing to deal with all the world market ebbs and flows.

Wow an entire response and not a bit about genetics... my family would be proud ;))))

Most respectfully,

John Eberth

Last edited by a moderator:
default_aktion033.gif

Very well said Robin and John-

Keep your chins up!

Angela and LK Duke Dreamer

Robin - You already know what I think of your farm and horses .... there is no question in the quality of horses you all produce ... Like I said several times, this was a sale .. no matter what the final prices were people would still turn it into the market and say "wow...is that all??". Now a days that seems like the automatic response to any auction or sale ...

I just LOVE my little king horses and buckeroo / btu bred horses and cannot thank you enough for them and for those horses standing out in my barn/pasture that you made "possible" ....

I made a thread (the one that was locked and then deleted per MY request..) for sale prices, I always enjoy following sale prices and wanted to see what several of the horses sold for that i was interested in ... Oktoberfest is such a great opportunity to get some nice horses at amazing prices and it is advertised as such and has been for how many years now?? There were just so many nasty posts on that thread and I & others just wanted to see the sale results, but I asked mary lou to delete the thread as there was just so many things said by people that just did not need to be said on this forum. I just hope after all this hoopla that the Eberth's can offer the sale agian next fall ..
default_yes.gif

default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif

I don't post much, but just wanted to say that I hope I have the [SIZE=12pt]privilage [/SIZE]to come to your farm one day, and see the great horses you produce!( I also hope one day to bring one home
default_smile.png
)

Robin,

I read through the prices...thought many of the initial comments were a bit strange and read no further. I saw for myself what you had for sale and WISHED I could be there (with money, of course...)

I'll never forget the first time I saw Buckeroo's photo -- I literally jumped out of my chair. Since that day (I only discovered this forum when we adopted Mingus in 2002), I've seen get and grandget that have so boldly carried forth the Buckeroo legacy, and I've seen photos of him as an aging gentleman, still gorgeous. All of these speak of a once-in-a-lifetime horse.

In addition, I've admired what I have seen of your family through the internet.

Because of all of the above, my opinion could never be altered by auction prices being posted or negative comments. I was going to say that one would have to be blind to believe anyone dissing your horses -- but I AM blind (or very nearly so) and I still see the incredible quality of Buckeroo and his dynasty.

In other words, there is no need to defend yourself. The proof is in the pudding.

The negative comments, sadly, come with greatness. If Buckeroo weren't the force that he is, nobody would go to such lengths. As unwelcome as they may be, these snarky remarks are actually compliments in disguise.

[Now...as for someone sneaking into corrals and feeding your horses without permission -- if this happened on my farm they'd die...or worse.]

VERY WELL SAID ROBIN- Proud to read that you defend your horses and your farm. It is soo sad that people are jealous and that it had to come to this. LKF has been a leader in the miniature horse industry for years and will continue to be. As most know, we love Buckeroo to death.
default_wub.png
My dream was to come to the farm and see the "Big Man" himself and did so last year at the heritage sale. True love for me, that was my anniversary and I chose to get my picture taken with him. I love Buckeroo and the fact that he is 31 and doing well is a testiment to the work and dedication that you guys have for him and all your horses. We own a Buckeroo son, my ultimate dream came true just a couple of years ago. Zeph
default_wub.png
did great again this year (if I can toot my own horn) and so did several of his sons,daughters, grand get and so on. Whether you like Buckeroo or LKF there is no mistaking the fact that LKF and their horses have improved and changed the industry for the better. We went to the sale and had a great time. We bought a gorgeous mare that had a colt beside her. Both are royally bred and we got one heck of a deal on them. They are a valued addition to our small farm and really were a steal. It upsets me that people become so clouded by jealousy that they feel that the only way to make themselves,their horses and breeding program better is by defaming and trying to tear down other farms.
default_no.gif
If you don't like the horses or the farm don't go! As for me, I will gladly attend each Octoberfest and see what other steals I can get! I agree about posting the prices, I got a steal but that does not mean I will shout it to the world! What I pay and sell a horse for is the business of the buyer and seller. I don't think the sale hurts the industry, it gives several people the chance to own some really great horses. How many people have said that they want a Buckeroo bred horse but thought they could not afford it, well for one day a year you can.I would have paid more but did not have to. It amazes me that you think it is bad that you got a steal on a horse that is worth $4000 but paid $400, yet once that horse gets to your farm and you start breeding it or later want to sell it or it's offspring I guarantee you will not mention " I paid $400 but I want $1000 for each foal, or stud fee is $1000, or resell that horse for $400 because you know that the horse is well worth alot more and so are his foals. If you wanted that $400 colt, then head to the farm or plan for transportation. I promise I paid alot more for Zephyr and he is worth every penny and I do not regret what I paid for him. You never pay to much for a horse if it is worth it to you. Robin, don't let a few people out of millions get you down, keep up the great work and I will see you and your family again next year.
default_biggrin.png

My dream was to come to the farm and see the "Big Man" himself and did so last year at the heritage sale.
Wow! Your picture with him? That's truly a treasure! I own ONE Breyer's horse, wanna guess who it is?
default_laugh.png

When all is said and done, is anyone really going to put stock into any negative comments about a big farm such as this? I'm an outsider in the sense that I've never been to LKF; I couldn't pick the folks who are involved out of a small group of people. BUT, when I bought my first mini, I didn't care about the papers; the very wise owner gave them to me anyway and I kept the paperwork up. Soon after, at the county fair--yes--county fair, I got to chatting with an older man about miniatures in the horse barn. He asked about my new mare, and I told him I remember seeing some "Buckeroo" names on her papers. He reaction was priceless delight. He said to make sure that is mentioned in all sales of foals and I'd have no problem selling them. He said I'd have them sold when they were a few days old! He was so smitten with Buckeroo, which made me take note and investigate.

I have read time after time about folks who have been involved with some kind of event at LKF and their words/feelings glow when they write about it. I, myself, have gotten quite teary over posted pictures of that big party--the Heritage Sale (right?)--that show Buckeroo on stage with his get. If I was actually there I'd most likely blubber uncontrollably in my dessert. I will grieve deeply when the news of Buckeroo's...never mind...don't want to think about it.

So--I just can't imagine a few negative replies can have any lasting effect on your reputation. I'm an outside--a nobody in the world of minis, and any such comments would make my eyes rolls. But the years of reading the amazing stories have made a lasting impression.

Hi Robin, Sorry that happened, and I understand your feelings, and frustrations.

I just wanted to say that many years ago I purchased a White Russian Filly from you named Rose, and I was very pleased. Your assistance and counsel at that time was very helpful and I am one of your happy customers.

Thank you for all that you do.
default_saludando.gif

Robin, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you and the family for all that you do for all of the people in the miniature horse industry. I have had the priveledge to see it from a close up view. My husband and I had attended every Heritage Sale and each time we left LKF we were in utter amazement. What an event, one in my opinion that has never been duplicated. But my real venture started with you on September 5, 2006 when I came to the farm to help with some paperwork, ironically for the first Oktoberfest sale. Little did I know then that it would be one of the best things that had ever happened in my life. I remember the anticipation of driving into the farm and the questions that were rolling through my mind...."how is a country bumpkin like me gonna fit in here?", "Can I live up to their expectations?", "these are important people in the industry and I am nobody, how will I be received?"....it goes on and on. I don't think I have ever told you this, but this is exactly "how I felt". I guess you could call it intimidation, all of which was falsely created in my mind. As I drove into the farm, the dogs were chasing my truck, but I will never forget baby deer galloping beside of the truck and then poking his head in when I opened the door. OMG, it was amazing. Not only were the animals a great welcoming committee, but you all were as well. I was only there a few days when the phone rang. You probably don't remember this, but I will never forget it because this is what eased my "intimidation" and changed my feelings about you forever. It was a lady that was looking to spend only about $300 for a pet miniature. You didn't have anything for her but the gentle tone that you used with that lady and the time that you spent educating her on miniature horses was just amazing. I couldn't believe it. I hate to admit it, but I guess I expected you to just blow her off and get off of the phone as quickly as possible, but that was far from what happened. My only regret at that very moment was that I had not gotten to know you sooner. I never called or came around previously for the fear of sounding stupid and possibly feeling even more stupid after approaching you. How very wrong of me to assume that as nothing could be further from the truth. Anyway, I would just like to say that the time I have spent with you and the family has been an amazing journey and a true gift. I wish everyone could see you through my eyes, but that is simply not possible. Maybe the offensive posters have the false intimidation that I once had and the only way they know how to express it is by saying ugly and false things, regretfully on a public forum. If that is so, it is such a shame that they totally ruined a golden opportunity to know some of the very best people in the world.

Anyway, I am touched by the responses on this post and I know you are as well. I am going to try and print it out for you so I can hand it to you on a bad day when people who simply do not know you are giving you a hard time. Do remember that way more people admire you than not and also remember all of the dreams that you have made come true for the "little fish" in this great big pond. On behalf of the lady on the phone that wanted the $300 pet all the way up to the people who buy your very best, THANK YOU, and please never stop being you and doing all that you do. I can assure you that it does not go unnoticed by the people that really matter.

Sheesh, there's always someone that takes a GREAT THING and tries to ruin it for everyone else.... don't let them get to you!

Buckeroo is one of my favorite horses, I'd always heard his name spoken with great reverence when we first got into minis. Then when I actually saw his picture, I wasn't disappointed! I finally got "my own" Buckeroo grandson four years ago, and his foals this year are amazing!

I know what I'm doing now- I'm saving my $$ for NEXT year's Oktoberfest....
default_biggrin.png
Tell the "Ol' Man" I'll be there to kiss his nose!

Lucy

I have always said and always will say, you are the NUMBER ONE FARM in the industry, and you have produced a heck of a lot of darn nice horses. It tickes me off to no end that people will bad mouth you because you breed good horses and might be a little expensive, because that is the name you earned for yourself, you are the ones that worked your butts of and at the end of they day, you probably have more national champions that came off your farm then any other farm out there.

Im sorry Robin that you have to deal with people like this! You are a super nice person, and I can't wait till the day I buy a horse from you, and I know it will be one of my best horses!!

Gage

[SIZE=12pt]I am relatively new to mini horses; my first one was just an unregistered gelding. The guy we bought him from gave us an AMHR magazine and I noticed a lot of horses that came from your farm in there. After looking it up online and reading about Buckaroo and your farm, it really inspired me to want to get into this industry. I hope to one day own a Buckeroo son(after graduating college) and anyone who would disrespect that horse and your farm does not belong in this industry. Since I've gotten my first mini horse I have encountered the most wonderful and helpful people anywhere. I really doubt that I would be so interested in starting to show if I had come across people like those you mentioned. I do hope you reconsider when it comes to posting on this board, I'm sure all of us could benefit from your knowledge. I'm sure it was jealously more than anything that inspired such meanness. Someone said that Buckeroo is a once in a lifetime horse. I think that's true, not only for you and your family but for anyone who has owned or will ever own a Buckeroo bred horse. You can pick one out anywhere.
default_wink.png
[/SIZE]

My sister, Kathy, and I started in the Shetland industry in 1971 and in the Miniature industry in 1991. We were a very successful team for many, many years. I no longer am involved, but Kathy continues a training barn of Shetland and Miniatures still today.

We were once told by a very wise saddlebred/hackney/shetland trainer "when they STOP talking about you is when you need to start worrying, as long as people talk, you're doing the right things to be successful!"

Jean

Robin, this is such a shame that you needed to defend yourselves, but not a surprise based on my experience. I didn't see the nasty comments, so can only use my imagination there.

We have known you and your family since the early days, back in the 80's when we first started showing minis. I remember all of you kids and your mom hustling and working hard and showing really nice horses. You all have impressed me from the start and still do. You worked hard to get where you are today, and work hard to stay there, and your willingness to share your knowledge with others is really great. I attended one of your seminars a few years ago and was highly impressed, and learned a few new things from you. I am hoping to come to another if the timing works out.

To still have the patience to talk kindly to the lady wanting the cheap pet is truly something else. I know I can no longer face going to Equine Affaire any more, too many people telling me they have a dog bigger than that...... Just not sure I can smile and do that any more.

I do see your point about the posting of prices, but, I do like to see them. I know seeing this year's was a kick in my behind, I should have been there!!

Prices also tell me which auctions to avoid if I want to get a fair price on a horse (most of them anymore). I don't think the prices you got were an embarrassment, you were very clear on what you were selling and why, and I think that sale was truly a great opportunity for those of us with less money to spend to get a very nice horse.

I think you are a master at marketing, and people should be learning from your example rather than slamming you due to jealousy.

I agree with Jean, the time to stop worrying is when people stop talking about you, personally I want to pass on that and stay out of that league and just try to start enjoying the horses again, something that hasn't happened for a few years now.

Hang in there, there are more people who respect and admire you than there are those with sour grapes.

Buckeroo has done alot for this industry and isn't worth dragging thru mud. He will always be known as the great ones. Its a shame to chase off people that does do good for our industry.

Robin

No need to defend yourself or your breeding practices. Your record speaks for itself.

Folks seem to always aim to shoot down those at the top.

As for posting the prices, don't think of it as all bad. Had I known horses of that quality sold for those prices I would have been there myself. I would have never dreamed I could get that level of quality at a price I could afford.

Now I know and just maybe I can make it next year.

I really hope you don't let a few people represent the majority of us. I think most of the people on LB would agree that Buckeroo is one of the greatest horses ever and you are very generous people in sharing your vast knowledge. I've never met you but hope to someday. I hope you stay. I come on here to learn and I like learning from the best.

God Love you Sherri! If you only knew how important you are to us- and it isn't what you "do" for us, it is that you just seem to say the right thing at the right time and that alone makes everything OK again. You are a gift to us and the first day you came in here was God's timing I know for a fact. Thank you, thank you.

I really wasn't asking for this "boost" of support- Honestly- I wasn't trying to be that selfish- but it does help:) I look at what My Mom has done all her life and raised all of us kids to be "good" people- no matter what we do or who we are with. I take comments to heart not because it hurts ME, but because it reflects on Mom and Buckeroo. Those of you who really know Mom, knows that she is the Wizard behind the curtain- she taught all of us kids what we know when it comes to breeding, showing, training, marketing, foaling, feeding, etc. I still to this day answer questions for people and my response is" Well Mom always said or Mom taught us, or it was Mom's plan to.." etc. I don't deserve any of these compliments- she does. If it wasn't for her love of Buckeroo, us kids and her loyalty to see something thru- I honestly am not sure where the miniature horse industry would be today.

I look back at the old days when I was just a kid teasing people at the shows and running around with thier kids- people like Boones, Bob and Rita King, the Soats, Brewers, Kerbys, Wagners, Graysons, Erwins, Bridges, Cavanaughs, McDougalls, Stouts, Dredges, Greaves, and the list could go on and on. I had no clue what Mom was working so hard for, or why she made us go into that stupid showmanship class. But now I know. I told someone the other day- there isn't a state in this country, or maybe even a country in this World that if I had a problem, I couldn't pick up the phone and call someone and say "this is Robin from LKF with Buckeroo- I need some help." Mom has created this ability and security and life for me and my family. She has done her part of contributing to the betterment of the "breed". She has way outstood the test of time. I could count on one hand the number of farms that are still in the industry, still actively participating since the late 70s like Mom. I know she is my Mom- but stepping back, going thru the books and reading the history of the miniature horse- if you were to remove Buckeroo, remove the story of Mom and Lowell, remove all the show titles, remove all the foals and their show titles, remove all John's knowledge of the genetics of the miniature horse, remove the first $100,000 price tag....where would the industry be today? Yes I know- hindsight is 20/20, but just for a moment stop and wonder.

I guess what I am trying to say is- the price of a horse really doesn't matter, show titles really don't matter, it is the overall "market" and people that matter. It is what you learn from the industry and what you can pass on to others that carries on an industry, carries on the integrity, encourages others to be involved and to strengthen and grow an industry. That is why I get defensive, that is why I take to heart when others don't just give constructive criticism, but they thrive on hate, greed and jealousy. That makes us go backwards, that makes everyone feel on edge and uncomfortable. That makes all my Mom has worked for- for over 30 years blow away with the hot air!

Sorry for the dissertation. Thank you again. And for those you of who still have the perception that we are a "big farm", or to "expensive", or "unapproachable with your questions", send me an e-mail. I am always here to help, answer questions, see if I can find you that "right" horse you are looking for. There is no stupid question. There is no dream too big! If you are successful, we all are successful- at least that is the way Mom taught us to think.

Thanks again-Robin-LKF

I take comments to heart not because it hurts ME, but because it reflects on Mom and Buckeroo. Those of you who really know Mom, knows that she is the Wizard behind the curtain- she taught all of us kids what we know when it comes to breeding, showing, training, marketing, foaling, feeding, etc. I still to this day answer questions for people and my response is" Well Mom always said or Mom taught us, or it was Mom's plan to.." etc. I don't deserve any of these compliments- she does. If it wasn't for her love of Buckeroo, us kids and her loyalty to see something thru- I honestly am not sure where the miniature horse industry would be today.
I guess what I am trying to say is- the price of a horse really doesn't matter, show titles really don't matter, it is the overall "market" and people that matter. It is what you learn from the industry and what you can pass on to others that carries on an industry, carries on the integrity, encourages others to be involved and to strengthen and grow an industry.

There is no stupid question. There is no dream too big! If you are successful, we all are successful- at least that is the way Mom taught us to think.

Thanks again-Robin-LKF
You are an excellent, wonderful, amazing, kind, loveable daughter, and your Mom did an excellent job
default_cheekkiss.gif

Latest posts

Back