Please let me defend ourselves....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your Mom did a phenomenal job with all of you and she should be very proud of you guys.
default_aktion033.gif

You can add me to the list of people who take what she says to heart. I will never forget her telling me quite emphatically to keep any fillies by Fishers Master Mickey because they make great broodmares. We only had one filly by him, and she is still on our farm and I plan to test her to see how she does. I had planned to stop breeding (and I have) but I have to make an exception here based on her statements.

If she hadn't said that, she would have been sold long ago as she is kind of a plain Jane (actually that is her name), but oh, can she TROT. I think it is worth hanging on to her so we can benefit from what she can do, I would be sick to have sold her at a low price and then see something wonderful produced for someone else.

I have done that too many times, realize too late that I sold a really good producing horse. Hindsight is 20/20 and this time I will have faith in your Mom's advice and see what happens.

If she hadn't said that, she would have been sold long ago as she is kind of a plain Jane (actually that is her name), but oh, can she TROT. I think it is worth hanging on to her so we can benefit from what she can do, I would be sick to have sold her at a low price and then see something wonderful produced for someone else.I have done that too many times, realize too late that I sold a really good producing horse. Hindsight is 20/20 and this time I will have faith in your Mom's advice and see what happens.
Too many times I have seen those "plain Janes" get tossed out of a program. But I will have to say- bred right- they can be the best producers- especially motion. I sure hope she proves Mom right:)

Thanks-Robin-LKF

Ah, the million dollar question is to figure out how to breed her right, especially given that I have just buried myself in debt to buy a show filly....

My options at home are:

SF Mahogany Bay - sire is LK Super Supreme

LM Im A Buckin Hawk - sire is your Junior

Vermilyea Farms Prime Time Pic - was a reserve national champion junior stallion.

Maybe one of Mike McCabe's stallions.

But, Super is an option, maybe depending on you guys. Need to ask your Mom what the Mickey girls cross well with.

Ah, the million dollar question is to figure out how to breed her right, especially given that I have just buried myself in debt to buy a show filly....My options at home are:

SF Mahogany Bay - sire is LK Super Supreme

LM Im A Buckin Hawk - sire is your Junior

Vermilyea Farms Prime Time Pic - was a reserve national champion junior stallion.

Maybe one of Mike McCabe's stallions.

But, Super is an option, maybe depending on you guys. Need to ask your Mom what the Mickey girls cross well with.
I would breed her to what you know best- Mahogany. I think that would have a great chance of being something showy with motion and have the power and body that is takes to drive. Many people overlook the body style of these winning driving horses- they are not the refined type- those type - generally speaking- can't hack it. It takes too much to go around that ring multiple times in multiple classes to win those titles.

Anyway- I would decide whether you want to produce a driving horse or a halter horse. The best example of a Mickey daughter we had is Wild Thing- bred to Russian-- produced awesome movers. Bred to Buckeroo- produced Buffy- Top Ten mare, World Champion Produce of Dam and halter champion foals. Bred to Psyched Up- foals in between- free moving and very pretty. But then again- I think she is beautiful and can move like a freight train! I only wish I had 10 more mares like her. But she herself would never win in the halter class or dirivng- she is too small to drive and too heavy bodied to show. She is the epitome of a top broodmare! Not every National Champion can produce one and not every one that produces a National Champion could win one themselves. That is where genetics, knowing your horse's attributes and faults and years of breeding experience comes into play (hence my Mom:).

Robin-LKF

Not every National Champion can produce one and not every one that produces a National Champion could win one themselves. That is where genetics, knowing your horse's attributes and faults and years of breeding experience comes into play (hence my Mom:).
Robin-LKF

Very well said and oh sooo true. I am another fan of Buckeroo and LKF. I cry everytime I watch the Heritage Sale video stallion presentation. There is just something magical that gives me goosebumps. I have never been to LKF or met Buckeroo but oh how I wish I could. I have to say that he is on the top of my celebrities list to kiss!! What a legacy.......... Kudos to you Robin and your family and farm. I for one have emailed with questions and asking advice about our Buckeroo bred horses from Robin and each and every time I got a very informed response. Thank You Robin!

I purchased a filly at the Octoberfest, and I don't think she is the junk that some have referenced these sale horses as being. And her pedigree would not indicate that either! I am happy with my purchase, and isn't that what it is all about?
100_0831.jpg
">

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased a filly at the Octoberfest, and I don't think she is the junk that some have referenced these sale horses as being. And her pedigree would not indicate that either! I am happy with my purchase, and isn't that what it is all about?
100_0831.jpg
">
WHAT A CUTIE! and look at that face! I would NEVER concider this horse junk as wow wow wow!

CONGATS on your purchas!

Robin,

Great post and all I can say is 'DITTO'

Janet and I attended the first and most of the rest of the Heritage Sales. We bought some nice horses and always had a great time at a very well run event. The Oktoberfest Sale is a different type event but one that provides an excellent opportunity for buyers. Unfortunately our sales in Mount Airy are always on the 3rd Saturday which is a long standing part of our lease with the facility, otherwise we would be at your sale.

Your farm and family are a true asset to the miniature horse industry.

Ronnie

Okay, I posted this on the Green Castle sale, and I 'll post it on here, just something I feel strongly about, beyond this, I don't think it is anybody else's call.

"Here's an idea,(I am sure I will get flamed for)

Wouldn't it be nice if WE LEFT IT TO THE ONES HOLDING THE SALE AND THOSE MONITORING THE FORUM?

You want to advertise with LB and pay for an ad, then you get to let others know about the sale in advance, members can ask about lot numbers, and the typical chatter that goes on before the sale like who's going and if so and so buys one can it get a ride.....nice polite conversation.

Then when the sale is over, leave it to the one who paid for the ad, the one that paid the expenses to put the sale on, the ones that invited strangers to come and visit, if they don't care then the prices and after sale chatter will be allowed to be posted, if they choose not to have any after market info issued on the LB forum, then it is prearranged when they purchased the ad.

Isn't that just a good bussiness practice?

I think If someone chooses not to advertise with LB the sale will not be discussed at all, period. Before, during, or after. They are not supporting this site, they are not permitted to free advertising by having people discuss it on the forum.

default_torch.gif
default_torch.gif
default_torch.gif
default_torch.gif
default_torch.gif
default_torch.gif
, this is all said with a light heart, just my thoughts on the practice"

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never had the oppurtunity to make it out there to LKF not even when I was almost like right down the road. It sucks because now I am in Colorado and man do I plan to attend the sale next year... Ever since I have been involved in the minis and shetlands I have literally idolized LKF. Robin, I really admire all your hardwork and dedication. I hope to see the BIG MAN before its too late. But I don't see that happening anytime soon though. I have a friend who has attended the Oktoberfest for as long as I can remember and I am always so jealous of her. Someday I will get to go...

Latest posts

Back