Please let me defend ourselves....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Well- I would at least like a chance to defend myself since over 900 people read the post before I had a chance to explain.....

First of all- I am really disgusted with the forum lately. I think there should be a rating system as to the posters just like the sellers and buyers on E-bay. We as participants should be able to rate your opinions as to wether your comments are even worth reading, helpful, honest, positive or always negative.

Next- the Oktoberfest- for all of you who just don't get it.... the Oktoberfest is not a sale you should judge the market on- or any other sale of its type- Sutherlins, Mount Airy, Double Diamond sales, the one up near North Dakota, etc. These sales are where people sell their "Overstock"-- NOT Junk- Overstock. Every breeder has produced a horse or owns a mare that just doesn't work in their program anymore- that is what those sales are for. These are not the sales that dictate what National Champion show horses are worth. For those values- you need to look at private sales, high end auctions such as the Heritage Sale, Event sale, National Show Sale, etc that have a record of horses with titles and produce records consistently selling over a period of time. Unfortunately there aren't amny of this type auction anymore. They cost too much to put on.

Now as far as LKF is concerned. We have been criticized for 30 years that our prices are too high. That we are "too big" of a farm and out of reach for the average person..... So to try to change that preception that we apparently created ourselves by showing and breeding World Champions that have commanded top dollar at public auctions, we began having the Oktoberfest. It is not because we are over breeding- it is becuase we felt we had something we could offer the industry. In case you didn't know Oktoberefest is not just LKF horses- consignors included- Liberty Farm, Mini Gaits, Freedom Hill Farm, Mercedes, COH, Rogers HSR and sometimes even Vermilyea and Arion. We created this sale with one intention:

To offer the public a one day opportunity to buy some of the best breeding and show stock at whatever price the public was willing to spend. We forego all overhead expenses, all show titles, all stud fee values, all years of experience for YOU - the public- to come in and buy a great horse at the rock bottom of prices. We did this sale for YOU - the ones that say "our prices are too high and that you could never afford an LKF horse". This is not a white table cloth, lights, and show, golf cart taxi event. This is the low budget sale in order to allow oursleves to sell the horses for low prices. If you wanted glitz, glamour, catered service, free drinks and high prices- then you should have come to the Heritage Sale.

Now for those of you who still don't get the big picture- it is absolutely absurd of you to post the low prices on a public forum-hence why we don't offer the Oktoberfest online for the World to see. We reward those who show up and take advantage of the one day sale with low, low prices. For those of you who post the low sale prices for the Oktoberfest or any other of the sales similar- YOU are hurting the entire industry and yourself. YOU should be proud and smart enough to keep to yourself the fact that you bought a $4000 colt for $400. Because as far as anyone would know (unless they were here) - by looking at the quality and the pedigree- most people would assume you paid a lot for it- therefore increasing the value of the horse and increasing the value of it's potential foals. However- by posting that you paid $400 for a $4000 colt- people will ask "what is wrong with it? It must not be show quality? I sure wouldn't breed a $400. horse!"[ In turn hurting yourslef, your horse, your breeidng program, our prrgram, the sale, and the overall industry. For those of you that do not know- 4 World Champions have now come from past Oktoberfest sales- so they aren't junk!

Now on another note- for the "trespasser" that posted on here- your papers were mailed out yesterday only 15 days from the sale and according to our terms of the sale we have 30 days to get them to you. The CC machine was not working properly at the last minute- so I guess I should have said "sorry- all buyers will have to pay in cash or by check". But then many of you would not have been able to buy those horses. We were at least willing to do whatever we could to be sure people were able to pay in whatever fashion was best for them. And one more note- as per the terms of the sale...LKF is only the sale manager - we are not responsible for any errors or incorrect information provided to us by any of the consignors. So- if you have a problem with paperwork - it would be nice #1- to contact us directy- not post it here as a slap in the face to us- and #2 to contact the consignor.

I hope I have clarified and helped some of you understand a few things about the Oktoberfest and LKF. You can slam us all you want- but remember- I can refuse any person I want from coming on this farm, getting a bidders number and buying a horse here. And to the "trespasser" the next time you come on my farm or the "other" farm you walked into and opened gates and fed horses uninvited with no one home- and then bad mouthed a 31 yr old stallion for how he looked- We will call the police on you!

I told Mary Lou I wasn't going to post on here anymore. But it just doesn't seem fair that people can get on here, bad mouth farms, mis-represent and distort the truth and others believe it to be gospel. Thank goodness there are some good people in the world who make us aware of what is being said about us on a public forum yet behind our backs so we can have a chance to set the story straight. I don't think this forum was designed for this sort of discussion. I think the private e-mails and phone conversations would be better to spread gossip and tell mistruths. It sure seems like to me this type of bad mouthing fits the definition of slander.

Robin-LKF

Robin, Some of the best horses that I have ever purchased have came from the Oktoberfest. Thanks for the OPPORTUNITY. One old gal in particular - I have made thousands on and only gave a song for her. I thought if she was good enough for you to have bred to Buckeroo in the past that she must be a nice addition, and that has proven more than true.

As for the original negative poster, well maybe I won't go there..... Again, thanks for all that you do for the industry and I feel really sorry for the folks that don't recognize that and the fact that you all are the best mentors EVER. No one has ever helped me more and I have seen with my own eyes just how much you have helped other "little guys".

I hope they leave this post up as it is all so very true....
default_wink.png

I just bought a Buckeroo grandson, he is only 6 months old. Rebel is my dream horse. I am honered to have a grandson, and would love to visit your farm someday. Dont let a few bad apples make you leave, PLEASE STAY. As for posting the sales, it let me know that someday I may be lucky enought to buy one of your outstanding horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for coming here to set things straight.

You farm, your horses, and the way you represent yourself is nothing short of FIRST CLASS
default_firstprize.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_worshippy.gif

GOOD FOR YOU ROBIN for defending you, your farm, your sales, & horses! That's how I would have did it! You worked way too hard and but your blood and sweat into your farm and have to be the most happiest/proudest person in the miniature industry! Dont let a few bad folks pull you down as you have hundreds of thousands of folks who admire you and your hard work and dedication you have towards your breeding program & horses. Your farm is a farm that I strive to be, not nearly as big in quanity BUT in quality! So 2 huge thumbs up from a small farm here in Michigan who worships you!!!
default_worshippy.gif
default_thumbup.gif

Proud owner of 2 Buckeroo g-daughters

& a King Supreme son!!!

I'm glad to see that Robin took the time to respond. I was at the sale. In fact I've been to all LKF sales and have had the opportunity to add some of the very best blood to my mini program because of it. Sadly, there are those handful of people who will take every opportunity to bash others. I've seen it on here directed toward John Eberth and I've seen it on here directed toward JSW minis. It makes me angry and both times I have "sworn off" Lil Beginnings because I can't tolerate the negativity and purposeful hurtfullness. I do keep coming back, however, because usually the good outweighs the bad. I love seeing auction prices posted on the forum after the fact, but Robin does make a good point about the Oktoberfest sale and that the prices are truly NOT reflective of the current market. I truly appreciate the opportunity to purchase top quality minis at rock bottom prices. I bought a weanling colt and a yearling filly at this past sale, both of which are refined and elegant and I know can and will be competetive in the AMHA show ring and then will add some much needed refinement to my breeding program. Please, Robin, keep doing what you are doing. The sale, the open houses, the clinics. All of these are so well thought out, so well put together, so well run, and, at least so far, have been free of charge!!!!!! Someone is footing the bill. I certainly would never be able to do these kinds of things for others and for the betterment of the breed, all at my own expense. Remember the saying "Don't let the brats get you down!". Keep doing what you are doing and know that there are many, many people out there who appreciate it from the bottom of their (my) hearts.

I'd also like to see the moderators of the board publicly censure and perhaps suspend posting priviledges to anyone who posts openly hurtful things that are directed at individuals or individual farms.

Huh. I don't know what happened, not one of the 900 who read the other post--that must be gone now, for the better.

But, it seems whenever the big farms who have made amazing names for themselves, ones whose barns are loaded with stalls of gorgeous horses who have won many impressive awards for years and years, get negativity, it stems from a neon green jealous streak.
default_wink.png

And which of us wouldn't love to have the opportunity to give Buckeroo a kiss on the muzzle to thank him for all he's done.
default_smile.png
default_wub.png

I am sorry you felt a need to defend yourself. That must feel deeply frustrating and hurtful.

I did not read the original post either and it is more than likely just as well that I did not.
default_sad.png

But with that said, LKF, Robin and her family have long been a positive asset to the miniature industry as a whole. I value each of the Eberth's opinion, even if I don't agree with everything they say at times.
default_yes.gif

I personally enjoy talking to John, Robin and Marianne whenever and wherever I get the oppurtunity. The last time in person was at Congress and as usual I learned a few things and enjoyed the conversation.
default_smile.png

Success sometimes breeds jealousy and ill feelings. So I hope whatever was said Robin you take with a grain of salt at the very least. You and your family have worked hard and deserve whatever allocades you may get. The old saying that good luck is normally preceded by lots of hard work sure applies when it comes to LKF.
default_wub.png

It is indeed a shame that some folks have to try to find a way to build themselves up, by tearing down others.
default_no.gif
Good News though it didn't work!!!!

Robin --

I hadn't seen or read the other thread. Your post (as usual) is very well presented and sensible. I gather a little of what must have been going on by reading your response and I think we can chalk most problems up to two things -- jealousy and stupidity. Oh, and and I guess we can't forget a lack of manners, either.

Most of my own favorite horses have your farm behind them and one of the best horses I've ever known has your prefix. I'm very proud of them and appreciate what your program and insight have done for our breed.

Jill

I didn't read the other post and find that I post less and less here for all the reasons you mentioned.

I am sorry that the forum has deteriorated and largely due to hurtful posts.

When a comment or a hopefully helpful tip is posted I can almost always predict a few responders who seem to relish the chance to be mean spirited. Such a shame.

In the future I will try to be more aware of the timing of the Octoberfest event and maybe plan a trip.
default_smile.png

Thank you for your post
default_saludando.gif

I guess I didn't read the original post. If I feel slighted by someone, I never ever state the name or farm. I for one think sometimes you have to vent. But, you do not have to vent with names and farm names. If the farm or person knows who they are it doesn't mean everyone else knows.

I am sorry that after all these years and all that your family has done to try and make the miniature horse breed what it is, still people need to offend. I appreciate that you were trying to help people get some great horses. And if someone knows horses, it doesn't matter what the price it, a great horse is a great horse.

I missed the thread that got nasty. Sorry for that. Lil Beginnings is wayyyy too important to many people to let a few ruin it.

You had a palomino pinto colt at that sale that I would have killed to have!!! You made some very happy buyers out there, don't forget that.

Thank you to all who have posted. I didn't post here looking for other's to compliment or defend us. I just wanted for those who do not know us personally or have not done business with us to not base future thoughts of such by what a few others have said. It just amazes me how uncouth some people are and how distasteful they can be without being upfront and approach the individual one on one. I have and will make mistakes as anyone else. However-looking for a resolution by bashing someone publically only creates animosity and discord. Again- I just think there are ways to handle problems, situations and disagreements in a more appropriate manner.

I hope that the positive parts of LB can surpass and supress the negativness that goes on from time to time. I think a star rating of some sort aside from just the number of times someone posts should be considered. Just my opinion.

Thanks-Robin-LKF

www.littlekingfarm.com

Well, this is strictly my two cents worth. I only saw the very beginning of the original post. None of the negative stuff was on it, so I really don't know what was said. I can however say with certainty that I have only ever seen the highest class and professionalism from the folks at LKF. We have been to one sale there and one of their clinics. Both were WONDERFUL experiences.

We brought 3 horses home from the sale. They are all wonderful horses. Two are living with a friend of mine currently. The 3rd was bought as a 4-H horse for our son. He went on to win a VERY competetive class of 14 at the Kentucky State 4-H show. One was a stallion that sustained an eye injury here, therefore he has not been shown, BUT he just produced an extremely nice, refined little bay pinto filly for us.

The foaling clinic was a very nicely done day with lots and lots of information. Even scheduled a mare to foal while we were there. Now how many people can do that???? LOL LOL Seriously it was a great day and then to top it off they gave away breedings to 2 of their stallions. And this was ALL free to those of us that went.

Personally, my hat is off to the folks at LKF, keep your heads up and keep on keeping on with what you are doing. As other people have said the only explanation I can see is that old green eyed guy-jealousy.

I for one am looking forward to any future events that you have. Was very sorry that the timing didn't work for us for the last clinic you had this year. Really wanted to attend it.

My papers from the Octoberfest sale arrived in the mail today. I have never experienced any type of problem with any of my purchases from Little King Farm. I have followed Buckeroo's career and am one of his greatest fans. I proudly own several of his grandget.

Little King has offered many opportunities to assist and educate the new mini horse enthusiast with clinics and just plain taking the time to talk with others interested in getting into minis. Marianne's (and the Eberth family's) dedication and contributions to the industry speaks for itself. In an attempt to promote and help the industry they get attacked. It is indeed very sad.

That anyone would say such mean nasty things can only be attributed to ignorance.

I was so hoping you would come on here and have "your say"....I was getting really upset by all the negativity going on...and so agree that this type of discussion should never be part of an open forum...I would never badmouth someone in PUBLIC (and try not to in private as well...)
default_new_shocked.gif

I have always wanted to go to your sales, but I am too far to come (I know, people do come from far away, but...) and while I am disappointed you do not offer online sales, I now understand why. Thank you for clarifying that for me and other who wondered.

You have every right to run your BUSINESS the way you see fit and after 30 yeears, I think you DO know what you are doing!
default_wink.png

I did not read the part of the post when it apparently got ugly. But I did follow your link and see the pictures of Buckeroo and he looks great. You would never know he is 31 yo. No matter what someone likes or does not like, it is wrong to slam someone, esp. on a public forum. Your post had a lot of good points!

Barb

Robin, I really hope this type of negativity doesn't deter you all from holding the sale in the future. I have already made plans to venture the 10 hours and attend next October while my husband spends the weekend hunting in Indiana.

Latest posts

Back