Please learn from my tragic foaling experience

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mary, I am so so sorry this happened to you. It is NOT your fault at all. Mares can foal SO fast at times its incredible. These things unfortunately happen more often than people realize. You take wonderful care of your horses and I know how much this has to hurt. [[[[[[[[[[[[[HUGS]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] Linda

IM SO SORRY!!! NO ONE IS PERFECT. We have all missed just a few minutes of mare stare and thats when the darn mares foal! :DOH!

I'm so sorry. I know that right now there's nothing I can say to make it any better, but I do understand. I lost two this year and both had the potential to live had we known more and/or not taken our eyes off the mares - even for a couple of minutes sometimes can be too much. After we lost the 2nd foal I looked at our statistics and our success rate is HORRIBLE. At that point I stopped all breeding I was doing for next year! If we have a baby, then it was meant to be, but I'm not breeding any more this year for sure. I may again in the future, but I think I need a break - emotionally - from this for a while.

Again, sorry this happened. Sometimes nothing you do will make a difference. Sometimes you'll beat yourself up thinking it could have. You will never know and beating yourself up isn't going to do anyone any good.

Hugs to you and your mare.. I agree dont beat yourself up over it. I have lost foals over the years by missing the birth. we are only human. Learn from your mistakes and move on. I do know how heartbreaking it is and I have felt like quitting many times when tragedy strikes but for every success it makes it worth while.. Take care..

I am so sorry for your loss. It is heartbreaking to say the least.
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

I remember when we first started and DeeDee foaled a colt by BTU and I had JUST been out there and went in the house and came back out within 15 minutes because the kids were coming off the bus and he was dead in the stall. I cried for 2 days. I am sure Marianne at LK thought I was crazy but it was our first foal and for a number of years I sent DeeDee to Little Kings to foal out because I didn't want to take a chance. We then got breeders alert and even with that it isn't always fool proof if the mare doesn't lay out flat or you are so exhausted from running out every 30 seconds you sleep thru the alarm BUT IT HELPS. Hence the next step was the camera. And life was much better. The combination is much better. BUT STILL there is the mare that fools you and isn't under the camera (Magic this year foaling in the field) or the mare that stands or dips the pager in the water bucket so much it shorts out even with a plastic bag on it.

I finally realized the only thing predictable on a Mini mare in foal is the UNPREDICTABLY of them. So my advice is to take this experience (just like I did) and learn from it. I learned to read EVERY article I could get my hands on every spring and if a mare is waxed over I never have the pager off or have her out of my sight for more than 2 minutes because any more than 2 minutes will be all they need LITERALLY. (I learned that last year!) And if need be I MAKE someone stay home and stare at the camera , if I can't be there and at work but only 4 mintues away or less if I hit a 100 mph
default_wacko.png
(which I have)

So continue your dream of beautiful foals and remember this little foal just like I remember my little colt and use that energy in a positive manner even when that mare has you sleepless for 3 nights in a row
default_aktion033.gif

I am so sorry for your loss. Riverdance is right...the way everything came out at once may have indicated early placenta release, as I see with humans at times, and perhaps there is nothing you could have done even if you were standing there watching
default_no.gif
. Take care of yourself. Hugs

Ah Mary.......I'm so sorry you lost your foal.
default_no.gif
I know how much you were hoping to end your string of bad luck with her foal. It's so disheartening but please don't beat yourself up! These mares are tricky and fast!! I also wonder how many of these foals that "don't make it out of the sack" were actually still-births because of early placenta seperation. I hope you don't give up on your breeding program....you have it all in place now and hopefully your bad luck streak has ended. {{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}

Mary, Don't beat yourself up, I am so sorry for your loss, my heart and prayers go out to you,

I just want to thank everyone for sharing their stories and to let you know that we are NOT giving up on breeding. We will most certainly learn from this tragic experience and move on. We did not buy Sox just for the foal she was carrying (sired by National Champion/Reserve World Champion, SRF Centurian) and we simply adore her - as we do all our minis. She seems to be doing well, and I have frozen some colostrum in case anyone else needs it. The Slobody's have been just wonderful about this, and very understanding. Tomorrow we are going to our first ever AMHR show - with 2 horses we have barely looked at since our Pinto show last weekend.

I just want you to know I am sorry and I agree with others. We all make mistakes, we all can turn our head for just an instant...these minis can be very sneaky and tough on the heart sometimes.

I also want to add...You are lucky to have a friend like Kristina that understands and does not blame you. So, please listen to her and other's and try not to be so hard on yourself.

I am so very sorry. My heart goes out to you!!! I know the pain all too well.

On the same day (May 21) last year, we lost a filly because we were not there to help her out of the sac. We will always feel responsible. But, we learn and continue on. Just ten days ago the same mare had a beautiful & healthy chestnut pinto colt!

As so many have said, please do not beat yourself up. I hope your pain eases soon.

With my deepest sympathy,

Becky

Latest posts

Back