Please help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tricetta

Reaction score
can someone tell me about the survival rate of a dummy foal? I have a foal just born 1 hr. ago. and she is not doing well. vet is on her way over. foal just lays there w/ deep breathing like bronchitus.

not sure what else to do.

To everyone who responded,

We decided to take her up to Cornell as I felt she was not doing good. We almost made it, and my lil girl went over the rainbow in my arms.
default_hypocrite.gif
:

Momma mare instincts has kicked in, and she is doing ok,

as for us CryBaby ., it is hard.

But thank you for all your prays & advice. as i will keep it close in my book.

thank you again

Last edited by a moderator:
If the foal is lying down. MAKE sure she is propped up sternally. NOT lying on her side. It make it easier to breathe and for secretions to drain. Give her a syringe full of pancake syrup or Karao syrup to get her blood sugar up. Give some every hour. Also try some on your finger and try to get her to suck your finger. Milk the mare. If you can get about 3 ounces out of her( or whatever you can get. She will nedd at least 3 ounces every 2-3 hours. More if you can get it into her. Make sure she is dry and WARM. Rub her, dry her and STIMULATE her. Dummy foals can survive with care. If you are going to keep her home, you may want to ask the vet to put in a feeding tube. It will decrease the chance that (if she won't suck) you might squirt milk in her mouth and it might go into her lungs... a feeding tube will help prevent it.) Make sure an IGG is drawn. Baby may need IV fluids. The vet can put in a jugular IV. She can show you how to use it. Its not hard.You may want to start probiotics. Also have BIOSPONGE on hand in case diarrhea starts( get some pepto on hand also in case) Besides the supportive care. A DUMMY foal needs TIME to get passed it.

I wish you all the best.

Robin

I have had rattly foals born in the past and like Robin said the best thing is to get them up on their sternum. My vet also said to rub briskly with towels. What makes you think its a dummy foal? I would syringe colostrum into its mouth asap. but syringe carefully so she doesnt aspirate

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I hope your filly is better this morning and that the vet has been there?

Beth

My experience with "dummy foals" is that they are up and about, just can not find the milk bar.

I have had 2 "so called dummy foals" in the past and they both were looking for something to suck on, the wall, my legs, the mother's legs etc, but would not go to the udder.

One of the two could not figure out how to lay down either so he stood till he dropped.

Both survived and are thriving.

Your foal does not sound like a dummy foal. It sounds like it's too weak to look for food.

Sending good thoughts your way for a happy ending.

Great advice!! How much pepto and how often should she administer it?? If the runs do occur??

How is your filly this morning? Sending good thoughts, I sure hope she is bouncing around by now!

Oh so sorry for your loss, must have been something else going on there, not a dummy foal.

So glad mom is doing well, thinking of you in your time of need

To everyone who responded,

We decided to take her up to Cornell as I felt she was not doing good. We almost made it, and my lil girl went over the rainbow in my arms.
default_hypocrite.gif
:

Momma mare instincts has kicked in, and she is doing ok,

as for us CryBaby ., it is hard.

But thank you for all your prays & advice. as i will keep it close in my book.

thank you again
I'm so sorry.......

I don't think your sweet little one was a "dummy foal". She was probably born with an infection already in her which is almost impossible to fight. I'm glad your mare is doing okay...... My suggestion would be to have her uterus infused and/or flushed with an antibiotic. Again, I am very sad for your loss.
default_sad.png

Oh I'm so sorry, I posted shortly before your update, I'm so sorry to hear your foal didn't make it.
default_sad.png
I agree with MiniV, your filly likely had an infection (or aspirated amniotic fluid?). My condolences....

default_sad.png
When on the phone w/ the vet this morning at 4:30 am, he said it sounded like a dummy foal, but I had never seen it before, and if i had, didnt realize it. We have been blessed w/ our foals up til this point. I knew something was wrong when she first started breathing. The vet later on said he thought something happened prior to the foaling, that nature took its course. " i so cried hearing that" No one should have to go through this.

But momma is doing fine. we are watching her on the camera. the "momma instinct" has kicked in, this being her first foal, she didnt know what was going on at first, and she cried when she lost sight of the foal, so I put the foal in the stall in a corner, and she settled down, and is just standing over her. It is so hard watching her.

I will open the door to her stall tomorrow and see if she wants to go out, if she does, we will take the foal out. Its so cold here, don't have to worry too much for a day.

We are building a new barn in back, and have a spot picked out . She will be with us forever.

I am so very sorry your filly didn't make it
default_sad.png

Give your mare an extra hug and here's one for you {{{Hug}}}

I'm so sorry your little girl didn't make it. Hope Momma continues to recover. It's never easy with these precious little ones.

Oh gosh, I am so sorry to hear this. I was so hoping for good news. I'm glad you mare is doing well and hope that you will too. It is hard....................but will get better with time.

You take care!

Beth

default_sad.png
When on the phone w/ the vet this morning at 4:30 am, he said it sounded like a dummy foal, but I had never seen it before, and if i had, didnt realize it. We have been blessed w/ our foals up til this point. I knew something was wrong when she first started breathing. The vet later on said he thought something happened prior to the foaling, that nature took its course. " i so cried hearing that" No one should have to go through this.

But momma is doing fine. we are watching her on the camera. the "momma instinct" has kicked in, this being her first foal, she didnt know what was going on at first, and she cried when she lost sight of the foal, so I put the foal in the stall in a corner, and she settled down, and is just standing over her. It is so hard watching her.

I will open the door to her stall tomorrow and see if she wants to go out, if she does, we will take the foal out. Its so cold here, don't have to worry too much for a day.

We are building a new barn in back, and have a spot picked out . She will be with us forever.
Oh, BLESS YOU, for being sensitive to your mare's grief. I've seen some people shrug that off and it breaks my heart.

From what you say that the vet told you later, sort of validates what I suspected from your initial post.......that your little one was born with an infection. Please don't feel you did anything wrong. Under those odds, you would have been fighting a losing battle. Please ask your vet about the flushing/infusing of your mare's uterus because of that. (We would do it ourselves - because we know how to, if the same thing ever happened to us.) It's actually a very simple procedure.

As for your poor little momma.......Hopefully, when you open her stall and offer her some food, with a treat, she will break away long enough that you can sneak the foal out. Our trick is to use a towel that we've rubbed on the baby. We "steal" the foal and leave the towel behind, so if she turns back to check, she'll still smell her baby.

Bless you...........and I wish there were better answers..........

Latest posts

Back