Please Help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feather1414

Reaction score
Please help!

My horse has a temp of 104. He has possible influenza, but we are waiting for the blood results back from the other one. They have the same thing.

How do I cool him out properly? Right now he is inside the barn, and its a pretty cool enviorment. Temperature ws taken rectally. Please type fast!

I dont mind spelling errors, please excuse mine. What else can I give him to take down his fever? The other one had Anit-inflammatories, but that was gievn by the vet yesterday. I will know for sure what they have tommorow, and i will let you guys know!

You should probably let your vet know that you have another horse with the same problem.

Banamine will lower a temperature temporarily. But check with your vet first.

MA

sad.gif
Have you hosed him down or given him an alcohol rub down? I've never had to do the alcohol rub down, but hosing him down with cool water will help.

Christy

I hope they both come through this okay.

I didn't relize that someone had already given you those suggestions.

Last edited:
Yes, I am going to be hosing him down.

We are calling the vet, and he suspected that Dealer had it as well((he looked at Peanut)) but he didnt actually look as Dealer only had snot. Now Dealer is showing the SAME signs as Peanut, as well as a much higher temp. I will be out hosing him down, and I am afraid we don't have any banamine.

Oh GREAT, today is our vets day off. WHO TAKES WEDNESDAYS OFF? now we have to call the other vet... Dang it. Oh well. Whatever it takes!

Feather

When you hose them down -- do it where they can stand in MUD to.. this will help. You need to hose the TOP of the head down as well. This is important. Do you have any Diprome (sp)? You can give it in place of the Banamine.

Vicky

Make sure when you hose him down that the water isn't ice cold, you don't want him to go into shock. Also remeber a horse's temperature does rise in hot temperatures.

Sounds like he might have an infection.

Feather

I am not a vet, But reading the Vet book while you wait section says

Use a wash cloth -- ROOM TEMPERATURE NOT COLD WATER...CONCENTRATING

ON AREAS BEHIND AND BETWEEN THE EARS, ON HIS FOREHEAD, UN THE UNDERSIDE OF HIS NECK... WHERE THE JUGULAR VEIN IS. IN HIS ARMPITS,

IN HIS GROIN AND UNDER THE BELLY. DON'T RUN ICE COLD WATER OVER HIS RUMP.. OR BACK, COULD CAUSE THE BLOOD VESSELS IN THE MUSCLES TO CLENCH. DEPRIVING TEH TISSUES OF BLOOD. AND COULD SLOW DOWN COOL- DOWN PROCESS. AND INCREASE CRAMPING. OR TYING UP. KEEP HIM IN A SHADE OR NATURAL BREEZE. OR POSITON IN FRONT OF A FAN. RE-WET EVERY 5 MINUTES.

When we had one sick, our Vet also said to rub down with the alcohole. Also he said to stand him in the mud. Said it would help him.

Vicky

You've already gotten good advice, so I will just say that I am sending good wishes for your horses, I hope the vet comes out quick and that they get to feeling better really soon.

Vicky Texas said:
Feather I am not a vet, But reading the Vet book while you wait section says

Use a wash cloth -- ROOM TEMPERATURE NOT COLD WATER...CONCENTRATING

ON AREAS BEHIND AND BETWEEN THE EARS, ON HIS FOREHEAD, UN THE UNDERSIDE OF HIS NECK... WHERE THE JUGULAR VEIN IS. IN HIS ARMPITS,

IN HIS GROIN AND UNDER THE BELLY. DON'T RUN ICE COLD WATER OVER HIS RUMP.. OR BACK, COULD CAUSE THE BLOOD VESSELS IN THE MUSCLES TO CLENCH. DEPRIVING TEH TISSUES OF BLOOD. AND COULD SLOW DOWN COOL- DOWN PROCESS. AND INCREASE CRAMPING. OR TYING UP. KEEP HIM IN A SHADE OR NATURAL BREEZE. OR POSITON IN FRONT OF A FAN. RE-WET EVERY 5 MINUTES.

When we had one sick, our Vet also said to rub down with the alcohole. Also he said to stand him in the mud. Said it would help him.

Vicky

434284[/snapback]

i agree with Vicky Texas
unsure.gif
What causes this?

JMS- its definetly not a fever due to heat, the temperature here is only 67!
new_shocked.gif

I have been hosing him down, concentrating on his chest, and his back, and yes, I did do his head. I am happy to report that it has gone down from 104.2 to 103.7 so thats a start. Right now he has a cool towel((no ice, just what came out of the faucet)) laying across his back, he has PLENTY of water, and he seems to be feeling fairly comfortable.

The water isn't too cold, and I have started at his legs, and yes, he has been being hosed off in the mud. I am working with both of them. Peanut is stil at 98.4 (( I am assuming this is good since the vet said their temp range is 99-101)) but please tell me if its not.

I feel so bad for Peanut. You can tell he isn't feeling very good. The normal horse he is has left the building! He didn't even come to my dad when he had GRAIN! If you have ever met this horse, you know what a pig, and an attention freak he is!

Dealer is coughing, and he has snot in his nose ((more like boogers
rolleyes.gif
)) and he has a fever, but other then that, he doesnt seem to be feeling too bad. Peanut is having some difficulty breathing, and thats the main reason we called the vet. I have been putting Vicks Vapor rub in his nose, and it does seem to be helping. He doesn't like it, but his breathing is better!

Please pray for these boys, I love them so much. I have not done an alcohol rubdown to either, since my mom seems to think its bad for them ((no matter what I tell her)) but Dealer is getting hosed every 25 min or so, he has a fan he can go stand in, he is in the shade, the floor in concrete, and its pretty cool in there. Plus the temperatures hee are only in the high 60's so there isn't any worry for heatstroke.

I would like to point out that the vet was out here yesterday. He drew blood on Peanut so we can find out what he has, as well as Peanut is on meds. I did the absolute right thing by calling the vet, and the meds he is on IS helping with his breathing. He can breathe and everything, its just more labored, so he is somewhat jerky when he does it.

Dealer doesnt seem to be showing this.

Kinda sounds like what Eclipse had when I first bought him, he came with.. something, vet wasnt sure but he had a 103 fever and the snots
unsure.gif

Good luck with them, keep us posted I will keep them in my prayers.

Oh Jeeze Jamie. The normal temp of a horse is 99.5-101.5. I will be keeping moth in my thoughts. This is weird, Peanut has a low temperature and Dealer has a high temperature.

Is there anything weird in the pastures or grain/hay? Any possum problems? No stomach pains? Any scratches or bumps? Anything else out of the ordinary?

You say Peanut isn't himself, is he depressed looking? Head hanging low?

Palomino88 said:
Kinda sounds like what Eclipse had when I first bought him, he came with.. something, vet wasnt sure but he had a 103 fever and the snots 
unsure.gif

Good luck with them, keep us posted I will keep them in my prayers.

434344[/snapback]

Yep Nicole, except for the fact that BOTH are coughing-and the stuff coming up at least in Peanut was dark yellow. The vet suspects horse Influenze, although I will know for sure either tonight, or tommorow morning. I will keep you guy sposted.

ForMiniSeasonsFarm said:
Oh Jeeze Jamie. The normal temp of a horse is 99.5-101.5. I will be keeping moth in my thoughts. This is weird, Peanut has a low temperature and Dealer has a high temperature.
Is there anything weird in the pastures or grain/hay? Any possum problems? No stomach pains? Any scratches or bumps? Anything else out of the ordinary?

You say Peanut isn't himself, is he depressed looking? Head hanging low?

434345[/snapback]

Well, we just got back from that show last weekend, and we think there was an air virus that both caught. The fairgrounds was also where sale horses are kept, and there was an auction the week before. Although I did bleach their stall VERY well, it was probably airborne, and they caught it.

Peanut and Dealer are both stalled most of the time, except too work, although they went out for 3 days to be horses before starting nationals training again.

We are pretty sure they have the same thing, but Dealer is stil in the early stages. Just started showing the signs today, while Peanut is on day 4-5. I am sure glad I brought him home against my trainers wishes! She wanted me to leave him in her icky, dirty barn. Although, I wonder if maybe he got a respiratory thing from her barn, since its so gross. My friend and I thought something had died in there, and several of her other horses seemed to be showing the same thing.

However, she blamed it on heat, and possible choke, and wouldn't even come down to LOOK at the poor things. She jsut kept watching TV. I actually had to sneak poor Peanut home. I thought he was going to die on the end of our driveway because he started coughing REALLY horribly and almost fell over.

We waited to call the vet because he was acting like Dealer is. Just a cough, and snot but he was eating just fine. He was depressed because I seperated him from Dealer, but poor Dealer had already been exposed for like 2 days, and he was starting to show signs, so I put them back together.

Ok first off dont panic.. 104 isnt a horrificly high temp. It is a fever yes but not at panic level for sure. I have had horses with 107.6 (ok i did panic a bit at that) during a strangles outbreak.

Remember while you want to keep him a bit cool that in most cases a fever is doing its job in helping to fight in infection. Ifyou arent having a heat wave which is good i would ask your vet what temp he wants you to give meds at most say wait till it gets to 102-103.

In extreme cases like the 107+ i used alcohol on there chest and withers and along the top line and underline you can also use water not way cold but cool or tepid water.

Most viruses just pass thru and run there course.

I know it is scary but try to stay calm and know it is almost always much like kids in preschool who get there colds and such. You have had the vet out and are doing the best you can now just gotta wait it out. (the hardest part)

Sounds like an respiratory infection. I would give some antibiotics myself. It's not life threating but do watch them carefully especially incase they go off there feed.

Did you let your horses graze at that show? I don't let mine eat any grass at shows because of that reason. It could be airborn, I think Influenza is, if Im not mistaken.

I know you are doing everything you can, give them a hug for me

I guess that we are all having our Emergencys this week, huh?

Everyone seems to have given you some really good tips and i cant really think of much else. Hope everything goes well.

Praying for them.

~Leeana~

Latest posts

Back