Please help! white milk **UPDATE**Colt born today!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunrise Valley

Reaction score
I have a maiden mare due to foal. The foal has turned and dropped. I have had white milk that tests 6.0 on foaltime strips, and maxed out low on PH and maxed out high on hardness on pool strips. It has been this way for at least 36 hours. Yet, she seems as if foaling has just stalled. Vulva is relaxed, but still light pink inside. The mare seems uncomfortable when laying sternal, but sleeps very peacefully flat. She has slept flat out for the last few nights, but not so much last night.Very minimal signs of any discomfort at all. Could the foal be dead? How long can this continue? Any experiences?

**Lucky Four Suchabuck Shez The One foaled a jet black pinto colt by Lucky Four Rebels Chasin Rainbows! Strong and bee-u-ti-ful!!! Pictures soon...

Thanks to all!**

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have experience with that, but I've heard that some mares can go on like that for weeks!
default_wacko.png

Hang in there!

Lisa,

I have had several mares do that here. I go by color of the vulva (deep red) and tail head droop these days. I know you hand breed and know your due dates, but I have had maiden mares go longer. They are my major dread for breeding.

They can produce milk weeks before actual foaling, especially with all those new hormones running around. If you still have your camera in the barn, maybe you could put her on Marestare and get some extra eyes to help.

Good luck with your new foal
default_smile.png

From what I've seen this year, mares are testing ready with the test strips and still not foaling for some days yet. All you can do is watch and wait. She'll foal when she's ready. I hope it's soon!

Well I bet she goes in the next night or two! I find that mine can't really lay down either way a night or two before they foal. The beeper is usually silent the night before so I know when it goes off, it's likely time...

Good luck- dont worry! Ha, isn't foaling FUN?
default_wacko.png

Latest posts

Back