please help w/ Camptown Harness decision

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivin*me*buggy

Reaction score
For Christmas my dear H said he'd like me to get my harness for Buck. Buck is 20 months old now. I will start ground driving/ long lining him early next year and plan to hitch him when he is 3. I'd like him to start right out with the harness he will be driving in.

He is a wooly bear right now. For those of you who have Camptowns, if I measure him now, at this age, are they made adjustable enough to still fit if he grows? I don't expect him to grow much.... He is 33" now, gelded in Oct.

Any thoughts? Is there something I'm forgetting. .. I have trained my own driving equine in the past so I know I am hooked enough on this sport to justify the investment....thinking it will be my last harness to buy...and I plan I Buck and I being driving buddies for a long time.

Angie

Last edited by a moderator:
At age 2 your lil guy has the bulk of his height. Ask Marjean, Camptown's owner, her opinion on what size to purchase since she'll be most familiar with the adjustability features of her harness. I met her at a CDE this fall, she is kind and more than generous with her knowledge.

Good luck!

He'll fill out quite a bit but not enough to usually cause harness fit issues. Let her or Janie at Chimacum Tack (who sells the same harness) know that he is a growing boy and they can direct you appropriately.

Leia

Thank you Skipsmom and Leia... I am so excited!!!
default_yes.gif

Angie

The only thing I can add to the above is don't cut any excess strap length until your little one is about 4 years old.

Also, if for some reason the harness does get a bit tight (and it shouldn't) you can always order a new girth or backstrap to adjust up in size. The only issue in fit you might have is brow band length. If your horse has a very wide forehead, you might need to get a longer brow band....usually manufacturers will exchange new peices for you so try it on him when it arrives (Like I could stop you <VBG>) and make sure it doesn't pinch his head....makes for a cranky horse <G>

Congratulations and have a bunch of fun....driving Minis is my most favorite activity and is right up there with snuggling with them!

Thanks Eve! Good thinking...and of course I will be tring it on as soon as it arrives and no snipping material until he is 4
default_yes.gif

He is a sweety about being handled...I put leadropes all over him now when I work w/ him around the yard sometimes I pull a kids wagon along behind us or drag pvc poles and he is so good about all that...

He enjoys trying new things. I think he is going to be a ton of fun....I picked him out to be my new driving horse after I sold my donkeys last year.
default_wub.png

Angie

Latest posts

Back