Please help! Pregnant Mare? (First time)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
o.k so we are really helping this new young lady, I say no, Diane says yes and you say not sure
default_new_rofl.gif

Melissa you must think we are VERY helpful
default_whistling.gif
Don't worry, just post the same pics on Sunday and we will try again.
default_smile.png
In the meantime she sure is cute.

Ohhh! She is sooo cute! I'm in love with silver bays!!! IMO Im going with no, only because of the due date and no bag. It looks like she has foaled before, so I would think that if she was that close to her due date, she would at least has a little more bag. But I could be totally wrong! New pictures this weekend I think would be very helpful!

Hi! I just LOVE you mare!! She is so beautiful!!! If she is in foal I can't wait to see that little baby! But if not she is going to make a beautiful driving horse! : D

Hi- I just saw this and welcome to the Nutty Nursery. I am also waiting for a maiden to foal; she was last bred the END of May 2012. You can see photos of her progression, which I understand is pretty typical for a maiden, on my thread on here (On Target Miniatures) at http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=132281

Photos are toward the end... LOL there is a lot of chat, but it is very important chat!!! She does not look especially pregnant, but has bagged up and I finally got milk a couple of days ago. She is on Mare Stare and wearing a foaling alarm and keeping a lot of us up all night.

Hello guys! Just wanted to say that I have been noticing that Dora has been laying flat out taking frequent naps in the paddock (it could just be the warmer weather) but multiple times a day. She also seems to lose interest in eating her hay and usually when she sees food, it's gone before you know it! Lol.

Targets mom~thank you for sharing the info, as soon as I get the chance, I will check out your thread and see how your cute minis are progressing.

I do also have a question. I read somewhere that you shouldn't palpate or ultra sound mini mares. Why is that? I contacted my vet, who doesn't have much experience with minis and he said he can come out and ultra sound her. Just wanted to know if that is anyway harmful to the mini or (possible) foal.

You guys are the best!

Thanks, Melissa

Sorry cant help with that question, but I do believe that vets need mini type equipment to do the process safely??

I'm sure someone else will have the answer for you.

I have no problem with US minis but only with an experienced vet. My vet is a lady with small hands, I don't think I would want a man going in
default_sad.png

So, then I am probably not going to go with palpating (male vet, big hands) nor internal ultra sound bc I don't think my vet would have the correct size equipment. How well does external ultra sound work? Anything else I could do to get an accurate answer?

hi and welcome to the nutty nursery from Australia
default_saludando.gif
(sorry I'm a bit late to the party lol)

your little mare is absoloutly gorgeous! and if she ins't pregnant she should make a lovely driving horse....

hmm I'm on the fence with your girl also, how much feed is she getting? makes it so hard when you are not sure of what she could be doing... I have a mini mare who we thought was pregnant I had had her nearly 12 months and we thought she could have been pregnant but she wasn't she sure was getting fat LOL (because I was feeding her as if she was pregnant lol)

another way you could tell (how we found out) is a wee foal test kit... they work quite well and are pretty cheap,

an external ultrasound should I think give you some idea though would not 100% confirm anything...

can't wait for the next set of pics I would think if she was pregnant you would start to see some pretty big changes very soon...

Just having a look at her udder again and it looks exactly like my maiden mare's before she got pregnant. So is possible she is a maiden but you would expect some sort of change if she was this far along. So she might just be a lovely fatty
default_smile.png

She does not get a whole lot of grain. She is on purina strategy and gets 1/8 of a 3 quart scoop twice a day ( looks like about 1 average sized handful). I just ordered a weefoal test which should be here by early next week. So if things still look on the fence after another round of pics than I will have the test that may point me towards a clearer direction.

And.....I have a new bit of info that makes me ponder...... At the rescue that Dora came from, there is a mini gelding who arrived as a stallion and was then gelded there. The lady who owns the rescue can not remember if Dora was there at the same time this other mini was a stallion. She gets so many horses that come in and out for adoption that she can't keep track of who was all there at the same time. I am wondering if there was ever a chance that they may have come in contact with each other. I would like to assume that the lady would know better and realize, but she does seem very scatter brained. If that could possibly be the case, than maybe she could still have a few months to go.... Again, just letting my mind run wild but something to maybe think about?

Thanks for putting up with my babbling! Haha can't wait for input when new pics are up.

Very appreciative, Melissa

haha you will find out (if you haven't already) that we babble quite frequently LOL its all part of the fun:)

hmmm that does sound interesting... so glad you have ordered a wee foal test, they really work well.

Big welcome! I have been super busy so I am a tad late on welcoming you.

Is this Dora from Forgotten Angels??? I think I recognize her! I speak with Lisa and Darlene regularly and right now I am working on a rescue mission in NJ. Bit of a drive for me from Boston, but lots of minis at one farm need help ASAP.

She is VERY lovely by the way, so happy you joined us!

I am glad you have ordered a WeeFoal test. I doubt if she was covered in the rescue centre, they have way too many animals as it is.

Time will tell in the meantime babbling keeps us company
default_smile.png

Yes this is Dora from forgotten angels! We adopted her a few months ago as a companion horse and for my 2 1/2 yr cousin who has special needs to ride her. She absolutely loves to ride her and pet her! Then i realized how much fun minis are, so we worked on slimming down and getting in shape, and then i took her to a 4h show about 3 weeks ago and competed against 3 other minis in showmanship, halter, obstacle, and jumping. We got 3 3rds and a 4th (4th in halter because of her being a little overweight still). I've still got to get the pics of the show from a friend who took them, but once I've got them, I will post a few! I was just given a harness set, so now we are going to give driving a whack!

The rescue had their benefit dinner last night and we brought Dora over for everyone to see and pet and get pictures with, I'm sure if not already, Darlene will have pictures up on the Facebook page soon.

Now we just have to figure out this mystery as to whether she is in foal or not!

Latest posts

Back