Please help - newbie wanting to show in WI

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHoofBeats

Reaction score
I am really excited for the 2006 show year and I have my appaloosa filly that I want to enter in some shows here in WI and/or the surrounding states. I don't have a clue where to find information on shows except I saw that AMHR provided a list, but I don't know what any of those places are or what they mean!

Is there anyone in the WI area who can help me find out what shows to enter my appy filly in, and what classes? I am so confused and so lost but I really want to get her shown! I would appreciate any help on what direction to take, where to go, any help!!! Thanks =)

First thing you need to do, if you haven't done it already, is join AMHR and one of the local clubs up by you. I know there are one or two new ones in WI--I'm sure they'll chime in. If not, then PM Ashley.

Your AMHR membership will get you the Journal, and it has lists of all the upcoming shows in the back. You can also get a Rulebook--it's free with your membership, but you have to call and ask for it. If you don't want to join, you can go to AMHR's website (www.shetlandminiature.com) and go to their show list. It will tell you what is eligible for ecah show (AMHR-minis, ASPC-shetlands, ASPR-show ponies), when and where they will be held, and the contact person/show manager. MN has 3 or 4 shows--Albert Lea and Lake Elmo, IA has a ton of shows, including the wonderful Iowa State Fair, Area VI Club, and the Iowa Miniature Horse Club show (4 judge!). There are a lot of local shows that allow minis and many have separate classes for them now, plus 4H in many WI counties is huge--there is a 4H club up there that has a mini driving drill team.

If you drive, there are a couple of spectacular shows that have a VSE (very small equine) division both at Carrige/Pleasure Shows and at Combined Driving Events. Villa Louis Carriage Classic, Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin is internationally famous, and there are half a dozen events in IA as well--including an Arena Driving Trial in a few weeks in Ames, IA.

Go get 'em!!

Here are links to Wisconsin clubs that put on some very good AMHR shows...

NEWMHC

IMHC

Neither has their 2006 dates posted yet, but NEWMC has two held in Shawano, WI. The first is usually Memorial Day weekend, the other is new for 2006 and will be in August.

IMHC has their first show the 2nd or 3rd weekend in June (somewhere around the 17th this year I think) and will have another show in August that I am going to help organize. Date TBD.

Watch the "events" link on the AMHR site 2006 events and shows are being added to the calendar all the time

Thank you for all your help so far!! I am very excited to show Delight this year, it's my first time ever showing by myself! Hopefully i'll get a friend along to help =)

You've gotten some great advice and places to start showing. I know I went and looked at AMHR website this morning, you might be interested in the Iowa Miniature Horse Club's show in July(Des Moines,IA) also I see a AMHR/Pony show in Waterloo,IA. in May.

I'm sure you'll see more shows added really soon to the AMHR website calendar events list.

Would sure like to know if Minnesota club is having the Albert Lea show???

I have one piece of advice, being a newbie myself to the show world. If you want to show, just do it! Don't put huge expectations or goals all at your first show. I did that last year and talked myself outa showing before I started!
default_wacko.png
: I kick myself over and over for blowing the year about worrying if my horse looked like everyone elses, would place, is her neck long enough, etc. etc. yadda yadda....all that goofy stuff that seems silly now when I look back.

Do it for fun the first shows to get your feet wet so to speak. THEN, If you want to compete on a higher level, get some help(mentor to guide and show ya the ropes) or hire a trainer. Best of luck and go for it!
default_smile.png

HI Russ:

:saludando:

You need to get yourself in the show ring! We didn't have a clue when we started out but got lots of support, help and advice from other mini people and we came a long LONG way in just a year and a half.

The Minnesota Club is having the "Albert Lea Show" but if I understand the info I've gotten about it, it won't be in Albert Lea anymore. They are moving it to Winona, MN which has much bigger and nicer show facilities.

I think it is the same weekend it always is - the weekend after the Iowa Club Show, so July 22nd, 23rd?

Also, I sent you a PM with a question about something else...so check your mail when you get a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so I am a member of NEWMHC and I saw their 2006 events list, i'm going to contact the contacts provided and get myself to those two shawano shows! I think even 2 shows is better than NO shows!

My only drawback is I don't have a trailer, i'd love to take my appy filly to MN and IA and Indiana, surrounding states, but I don't have a trailer so I have to see how I can even get her to Shawano! I know i'm not supposed to put this here but i'm going to ask anyhow and im going to ask on the sale board but, would anyone here have a small little 2-4 horse trailer they'd be willing to trade for the horses on my sales page? Great refined 2yr old pinto filly and superb 3yr show gelding, or would anyone accept payments on a trailer?

I"ll ask it on the sale board too but I figure a lot of people see these posts so i'd write a heads up!!

Thanks everyone for your help, i've gotten a lot of new ideas in the past 2 days!!

Shawano is a great show and lots of fun! We'll be there this year as well.

Now that I know about Shawano, I plan to be there for SURE!!

Thank you everyone for helping me out, I feel I am finally heading a step in the right direction towards showing!

How neat! Which horses are you bringing? (post photo's!) and which classes are you planning on being in?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Midwest Classic Shetland Breeders' Association Spotlight Show is May 27-28 at the Cattle Congress grounds in Waterloo, IA. (3 judges) Contact Tracy Slagle at [email protected]

The Area VI Club Show I is June 10-11 at the Crawford County Fairgrounds in Denison, IA. (4 judges) Contact Roelene Lundy at [email protected]

The Area VI Club Show II is June 24-25 at the Iowa State Fairgrounds in DesMoines, IA. (4 judges) Contact Roelene Lundy at [email protected]

Thank you very much!! AND NOW THAT I HAVE FOUND A TRAILER FOR MYSELF I can actually make it to Iowa!!!!

Though I think because this is my first year I am going to take it easy with a few shows here in WI and then next year i'll be heading to IA =)

Maybe i'll still go...haven't decided which way yet! But thank you very much for the show locations and contacts!

How neat! Which horses are you bringing? (post photo's!) and which classes are you planning on being in?
Well since you asked...

I'll have 3 of my own there and will probably be showing some of Sam Barth's horses as well.

Here is Winning Color's Hijacker SOS:

Liberty over, Halter Sr geldings over, country pleasure driving over, as well as youth classes

LakeElmo007.jpg

Oneka's Liberachi:

Liverty over, Halter sr geldings over, roadster over, (possibly pleasure driving over), hunter and jumper over, and youth classes (sorry no good pictures yet)

Liberachicooltrot.jpg

and last but not least Send A Message SOS:

Halter sr mares 30"-32", pleasure driving under, (possibly liberty under, and possibly hunter under,) and youth classes

MessyNATD.jpg

Wow are they ever nice looking horses! I love liberty class, I hope to enter that class someday with one of my horses!

I will be showing D&M Gemstone Pokadots Afternoon Delight at the two Shawano shows here in WI - not sure where else or if I will do any more, I just want some newbie practice this year! I want to show her in Halter and Color classes, if I have room i'll probably be bringing my gelding Dusty Lane Rowdy Red Loco Motion too to get him out there to be seen!

DelightStand.jpg

loco2.jpg

=)

When are those shows? I would like to go to them this year.

Latest posts

Back