Please help me decide

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbiesshelties

Reaction score
Hello,

Another question from a newbie. At this time I have 2 geldings and a mare(all minis). My mare has never warmed to me. I adore her but she is standoffish at best. I am thinking of selling her and buying another gelding. Would the others accept a new gelding?

Geldings, geldings everywhere around here - 7 to be exact! They seem to get along much better with one another than the mares do. They are in a mixed group, but the mares "pick and choose" who they want to be friends with on a daily basis, while the geldings seem to buddy up with one or two favorites and hang out together consistently. I've not had a problem introducing new geldings. They "play fight" until they find their place in the pecking order, but at least in my herd, the geldings are a pretty easy going bunch. It's the mares that rule the roost.

Robin C

I don't think it makes any difference in a mare, gelding, or stallion as far as which one is the most loving.

There's just as many stand-offish geldings and stallions as mares in my humble opinion. Sounds like you are just disappointed that your paticular mare is not the love bug that you would like her to be. Maybe, she just requires a lot more of special quiet time with just you alone, spoiling her rotten and doling out the treats.

Some horses are just not into fluffy bunny love. She just may fall into that catagory. They are all different. I've got a filly here that never warmed up to me like I would have liked. But a year later, I can't get her out of my pockets. Sometimes, it just takes time for them to realize that you hold their lives in your hands.........and treats in your pockets.
wub.gif

Robin_C said:
I've not had a problem introducing new geldings.  They "play fight" until they find their place in the pecking order, but at least in my herd, the geldings are a pretty easy going bunch.  It's the mares that rule the roost.
Robin C

443891[/snapback]

My experience is the same. Unless it's one of those very rare agressive geldings, they'll play fight a bit until their know their place in the herd, then settle in very quickly. I find mares, esp if they are open, to be much more fussy about personal space and who they associate with. I've never had a gelding that didn't fit in quickly... have had several mares who are a headache in the herd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back