Playmate for colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horse Feathers

Reaction score
Should I get a goat or put one of my mares with my 7 month old future stud. I think he is lonely. He does have a Jolly Ball and can see the herd thur the fence.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always think that having the option of another mini/horse is a prefered option. I have heard that goats than take quite a bit of patience with them escaping.

When we got our stallion as a weanling (4 years ago) someone suggested that we turn him out with our mares and gelding until the next spring. This way he got to learn about herd dynamics and how to get along with everyone. We kept a close eye on him, and around March (in our cold climate) we could tell it was time for him to have his own run. We couldn't be happier with the way he turned out!!

ETA: Whenever we add a new member to the herd, we start pairing them with the one lowest in the pecking order and work our way up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a gelding you could buddy up with him? I had goats, and minis...and from my experience we had here, the goats and minis didn't interact at all. But if you try it, make sure the goat doesn't have horns. But goats, too, prefer company with their own kind. There are always exceptions, but if you're unlucky, you could end up with an unhappy goat, and an unhappy mini in the end!

Having one goat has worked out perfectly for me. I no longer have a horse but it was working out well when I had them together. At this time I only have the one goat and one cow. They stay together and the goat doesn't wander off because the cow can't wander off. I think as long as the two of them bond it could work out very nicely
default_smile.png
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back