Playing with new camera...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dona

Reaction score
Been looking for quite some time for a nice sub-compact digital that would take high quality photos, and finally decided on a Nikon CoolPix S-1.

It weighs 4 1/2 ounces, and only about 2.2 x 3.5 inches and 3/4" wide.....AND has a huge 2 1/5" LCD screen (something that's a MUST for me....so I don't need to put on reading glasses to see it!)
rolleyes.gif

It has 5.1 megapixels

3 x Zoom

Can do thumbnails, slideshows, movies

Can do voiceovers on pictures

Has 17 different "scene" modes & "assist" settings.

Can do "continuous" shooting at 1.8 frames per second

Automatically fixes red eye, lighting, blurs.

Easy downloading & printing.

There is tons more it can do....but I'm still learning.

Here are a few of the first shots I've taken with it, just using the Auto Focus. I haven't used any of the special "settings" yet, which would make the photos a lot better.

I like the fact that the photos are much sharper than what I got from my digital camcorder....and the colors come out so brilliant. No need to do any editing on these babies!
aktion033.gif

f2472560.jpg

Did a great job on action shots too!
yes.gif

f2472b46.jpg

f2472c19.jpg

Those look great!!! I love the pictures of the roan. Look at all that mane flowing!! I've been thinking about getting another digital camera. Mine just doesn't do action shots at all.

Very nice pictures - I agree.... COLORFUL pasture you've got there
yes.gif

Whos the little cutie in the last two pictures
wub.gif

Nice Pics Dona, they look great!

Is that Quenie(not sure how you spell that)? Baylee's mom? She(he if it isnt Bayley's mom and is a boy LOL) is GORGEOUS, that just makes me want a bay roan from you even more!

-Gage-

~Palomino~ said:
Nice Pics Dona, they look great!
Is that Quenie(not sure how you spell that)?  Baylee's mom?  She(he if it isnt Bayley's mom and is a boy LOL) is GORGEOUS,  that just makes me want a bay roan from you even more! 

-Gage-

468177[/snapback]

Good eye Gage....yes, that's Baylee's mom "Queenie" in the last two photos.
yes.gif

Here's another one I just took of her. Her dark winter hair is coming in....she looks totally different in winter than she does in the spring. And yes, our grass has made a "comeback" and IS very green right now. After having a "drought", we had a couple days of torrential downpour last week...and it rained again yesterday and today!
aktion033.gif

f2472ba7.jpg

Here she is right after Baylee was born in May.

f264b36c.jpg

Dona - those are terrific pictures!!! Your pasture looks so green, and Queenie looks wonderful! I love the "flowing mane" pictures!!!
aktion033.gif

If I buy that camera will I have those pretty horses in my fields too????

laugh.gif

GREAT Pictures Dona!!!!
aktion033.gif

You must be more camera saavy than I am...I am still working on getting my pictures back to the jpeg size..instead of "football field" size...
wacko.gif

I just never seem to find the time to sit down and read the book!!
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the camera recommendation, I'm in need of updating my digital - it was fine when I was doing real estate as the house didn't move!

Is there anything you don't like about this one Dona?

Great photos of your lovely herd too!!! Moonie has left his mark there!

Michelle....so far I love everything about this camera. (but I haven't had a chance to try out everything yet). It's supposed to be the newest in technology that Nikon just came out with. It's very small...so some people may want something bigger & easier to hang onto, but I wanted something really little to carry around with me....that still had all the same qualities as the bigger cameras. It has a built in internal memory...but is very limited (as most are) So I bought a large memory card that can hold over 700 photos. I read a LOT of reviews on this camera before I bought it, and people raved about the quality & sharpness of the photos (close to professional quality), ease of use, small size, etc. I had looked at other "series" of Nikon CoolPik cameras that were cheaper (4600, 4800, & others) & had almost decided on the CoolPik 4600, but they all were much thicker & only had an LCD viewing area about 1/2 the size of the S-l.

What I really love, is that I can put them on my photo program & can zoom in on them or blow them up to an incredible size without losing the sharpness. Could definitely NOT do that with my other cameras.

I bought a small carrying case for it (for protection) and I think I will also stick a small rubber strip on it to make it easier to hang onto (at the suggestion of one of the reviews). It does have a carrying strap to enable it to hang from your wrist....but wouldn't hurt to put a non-slip strip on it as well.
yes.gif

What price range Dona? It sure does seem to take nice clear, crisp pics. I guess my only feature that I would miss that I am used to now, would be the zoom capacity, with yours being much less than what I have on mine. Also, do they load fairly quickly onto your computer, or is uploading from card to computer fairly slow??

Depending on your local & sales....around $350.00. I also bought a memorycard with 1g (gigabyte) that was on sale for half price. (49.00).

Yes, the zoom isn't quite as much as my other cameras....but I find it's not necessary, as once I load it onto the computer, I can zoom in on a horse that looks far away and crop without losing any sharpness at all.

Uploading onto my computer is VERY fast with the provided software that comes with the camera.
yes.gif

Excellent!
aktion033.gif
I've had mine since the end of July and now that Shain is back home he has figured more out in the last 24 hrs than I have since I got it. I'm so challenged. Great pics!

Those are good pictures. I am glad that you all have had rain to keep your pastures green. One day mine will be back green.

Love the horses too.

What I really love, is that I can put them on my photo program & can zoom in on them or blow them up to an incredible size without losing the sharpness.
Are you using a photo program that came with the camera or one you already had? Those pictures look great.

Latest posts

Back