Plans For Your Foal Crop

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Lil Beginning's members already seem to have a good number of foals on the ground and while JNK Ranch is expecting a maximum of two (one definately preggers and the other exposed but not confirmed) and we are very excited and already have a game plan lined up for the unborn ones so I can stick "by the rules" and not get attatched and be overrun with colts!
default_rolleyes.gif

Our plan as of right now is to retain any pinto fillies for our show and breeding program and sell any solid fillies born (shouldn't be any but you never know!) and we will sell ALL colts with a gelding incentive - all foals sold will be sold with a show incentive.

All the foals born here will be shown until sold after they are weaned so hopefully it will help them find a forever home!

What do you plan on doing with your foal crop?

I'm only expecting 1 this year. Would it be for sale undecided.

My future goal is to only breed for so many. So that way I have time to spend 1 on 1 with that foal, train it, and if I decide to sell him/her set a price and like I have done so many times in the past I will not lower the price. If anything I would raise it a lil bit considering the amount of training and possible show fees. So if I decide to breed I will have room if I keep the breeding down if I wasn't able to sell right away. Also any colts born here of course I would offer gelding incentives, but if they are still here within a certain length of time more then likely I would geld them.

So my goal is to breed less, possibly gain more money then I have done in the past, train/show the foals, and also help to keep the stallion population down by gelding. I want to breed for quality, not quanity. I wouldn't make any money that way. I am looking to step into a new direction and I know what I want to do now.

I have one foal on the ground already and 2 more on the way! The plan is to sell them....unless that "killer colt" comes along that I want to geld and have as my "A" all-around show horse.
default_smile.png
I plan on showing last years foal until she sells and will have my current "A" all-around Bubba and now my "B" all-around Danny to show on the Pinto circuit. I'm trying to only have 1-2 foals a year.....and hopefully the economy will pick up soon and the mini market improves!!

We hope for three healthy foals this year and I HAVE to sell them. Doctor orders-hubby orders and family orders
default_wacko.png

"The plan" is always to sell the foals, but once in a while one will wrap their hooves around my heart, and then "The Plan" goes out the window...
default_wub.png
But for now, planning to sell!
default_wink.png

We have 6 on the ground right now 3 fillies and 3 colts One expectional colt that may keep his NU NU's for a while to see how he ends up and two awesome fillies. The other two colts will be gelded as were all the colts from last year with the exception of one that was really special.
default_wub.png

We are donating two geldings to mini clubs for a fund raiser for the youth programs and the balance of the babies this year will be sold.
default_new_shocked.gif

I kept 4 from last year for future breeding and/or show stock, which will be coming out on the show circut this year. Cindy said that was enough and I am limited to keeping only 2 this year, if that many. LOL I am still trying to fiqure a way to keep more than that andher not notice for a while anyway. Any suggestions!!!
default_yes.gif

I don't dare say, since there is a rule here about not saying anything about selling horses (I got warned once when I didn't realize that the rule had been put into place and I hadn't even mentioned any specific horse.)

But I will say that I kept two of my foals from last year. I like to see what we get, and I do like to keep some every year. All of my foals are nominated into the AMHR National Futurity, and my plans are to show my horses each year. Several of the horses that were sold last are likely going to be shown too. That's my plan for our foals-- that most be shown.
default_smile.png

Edit: Three of four of last year's colts are going to be gelded this spring, by me and their new owners (my vet didn't want to geld them as weanlings, sigh...) and the remaining colt, well, he's out of my multiple national champion mare and looks pretty spectacular so far, so he is a "wait and see". We sold two of our mature geldings last year but gelded another to keep, we just love our geldings!

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess will most likely have an APPY if she didn't injure it in her fall. That one filly or colt will be sold. Ellie's foal if a filly will be staying unless she is another darn Silver Dapple. I already have 2 and don't need a 3rd. If it is a colt. It will be sold. If it is better than mom he will stay a colt. If not better than mom it will be cut. If it is better than mom and I don't cut it, I will sell dad and keep colt. Might cut dad. If colt is better than mom, dad might be worth keeping intact.

Latest posts

Back