Planning on attending CSU

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feather1414

Reaction score
I have been looking for an Equine based college for quite some time, and CSU sounds BEYOND perfect for me. Plus its only 40 minutes or so from my house.

The only problem is that I REALLY want to participate in their horse show programs, but its going to be very difficult considering I don't ride.

Any suggestions? I am not really sure what I am asking here anymore. Who here went to an equine college?

I am really interested in studying equine reproduction, and I am so excited to find a college that has a specialized course.

Congratulations on finding somewhere you're so excited about.
aktion033.gif
As for what to do...

The only problem is that I REALLY want to participate in their horse show programs, but its going to be very difficult considering I don't ride.
...I'd say start riding! LOL.

Leia

Hi!

I went to Fresno State and competed on their equestrian team during the first years that it was considered a womans collegiate sport. I had lots of experience riding and they grouped me that way when I showed. When I was doing it 5-6 years ago they also had divisions for complete novices and they had instructors for the team that would help the novice riders. Start taking riding lessons. Really all that it takes is a knowledge of horses, a 'want to' kind of team player attitude, and maybe a little outside instruction. They will make you participate in work outs in the gym (at least Fresno State did) and that can be the toughest part if you are out of shape at the beginning of the year. Maybe find an english equitation or western equitation instructor in your area and start taking weekly lessons. I'd be glad to answer any questions that I can if you have any.

Feather1414 said:
I have been looking for an Equine based college for quite some time, and CSU sounds BEYOND perfect for me. Plus its only 40 minutes or so from my house.

Any suggestions? I am not really sure what I am asking here anymore. Who here went to an equine college?

I am really interested in studying equine reproduction, and I am so excited to find a college that has a specialized course.

501326[/snapback]

I lived in Loveland, CO for three years and toured CSU's equine reproduction facility, wow, it was amazing. I do believe the CSU has equestrian courses for learning to ride, something to look into and you would get college credit. CSU is one of the top equine reproduction schools in the nation and you can't beat being only 40 minutes away. Good Luck.

By CSU you mean California State University, right?

I am also interested in studying Equine Reproduction. Any info you have on this school would be awesome!

Thanks, Erin
biggrin.gif

MooreAcres said:
By CSU you mean California State University, right?
I am also interested in studying Equine Reproduction. Any info you have on this school would be awesome!

Thanks, Erin 
biggrin.gif

501543[/snapback]

Actually its Colorado State University.

I have also been thinking a lot, and I think I want to take the reproduction studies one step farther. I think it would be REALLY cool to take a look into the world of embyronic studies with horses. The stuff Olympian Ranch has been doing has fascinated me since the day I read about it, and with Lil Darling Farms and "Pocket Change" captivated my heart. Maybe its just wishful thinking, but I can dream.

How do you guys feel about a horse trainer that knows a lot about horses health and such. What I really want to study is reproduction, nutrition and health in general.

There is just so much fascinating stuff that I can study. I know I probably will change my mind a lot, but right now, I can't stop setting my sights high enough. They just keep getting taller.

If I do decide to do all of this, I will need a lot of support from my forum friends
wink.gif

CSU is a great college--my mom went there and I was *this close* to going there instead...but out of state tuition was astronomical! Let me know if you do go there, as my grandparents live less than 5 min away and I visit them as often as I can(ie: summers, usually)...it would be cool to meet you!

I've been through their vet hospital....VERY cool...actually, a lot like UC Davis' now that I think about it.

Even though I don't really have an interest in riding, I am taking ridden dressage lessons just because I'm getting to know the equine community and hey, you never know, maybe I'll start up a mini team(yeah right) or a driving team(maybe!). Plus this way I can go and play with horses....you have no clue how much you'll miss your horses until you're away at college(yes, it might be 40 min away, but that is still a LOT of time spent at school and not at home). Also, I think you have to live in the dorms or live with your parents(in Ft. Collins), which would mean you are in the dorms for the first year.

You should be able to get lessons from beginner rider all the way up without having to get your own riding horse. Or maybe you could convince them that if there is enough interest, that they could have an inhand program...or driving program....or just plain all-mini program. You never know, maybe someone in power has thought about this idea, but never put it through.

Congrats on finding something you want to do, thats always good!

I don't really know what to tell you as for what to do...what kind of events do they have at their shows? Are you really looking to ride? Maybe it is kind of like open shows and they would have some events that you could take the minis in, if not maybe that is something you can talk to them about incorporating once you get there.

I know someone who is attending West Texas A & M University and is in their pretty extensive Equine program. I even kinda looked at the school for graduate school after I heard this aquaintance's information about the program.

Good luck!

I went to CSU and studied equine science. I graduated in 1996, so a few years ago. I spent alot of time out at the stallion lab and was concentrating on equine reproduction as well. If your interested in equine repro you should concider doing the science concentration and not the industry concentration. I like most of the equine classes a lot, unfortunately some seemed totally useless and a waste of time. As far as the riding program and riding team went, it left something to be desired. The horses in the program are mostly donated horses, so you can imagine the quality (or lack of quality) in the horses you get to ride.

Overall I loved my time at CSU, if you'd like to talk send me an email, [email protected] I still live in Brighton, so if your near CSU, we're relatively close.

good luck,

Carrie J

Back